Couple Of Dumb Easygps Questions....

drag-racer

Been trying to figure out how to upload more than one waypoint at a time but can't figure it out. Surely there has to be a way to do it.....right?? One at a time is sorta worthless. :lol:

When I double click on a wp, it puts a little red arrow to the side(sets to active).....what does this mean and why would I want to do this??

Open two windows. Then use one to transfer all the waypoint to. You can drap and drop between windows. When you get all the waypoints loaded you can transfer. The easiest way to get all the waypoints is to become a premium member and get your waypoints via Pocket Queries.

I'm not sure about the active setting. In ExpertGps it sets the waypoint in the center of the maps. You might be able to sort by distance when you have several waypoints in the file.

That being said the ExpertGps program is well worth the purchase price. Being able to see your caches mapped out is really helpful

when you do a search you can click the check box - this puts all the wpts into a single file you can upload.

but I agree - become a member and get the really good files - then use the much better program - GSAK.

no such thing as a dumb question - the only dumb question is the one you DIDN'T ask.

:(:o:lol:

Edited by CompuCash
Open two windows. Then use one to transfer all the waypoint to. You can drap and drop between windows. When you get all the waypoints loaded you can transfer. The easiest way to get all the waypoints is to become a premium member and get your waypoints via Pocket Queries.

I'm not sure about the active setting. In ExpertGps it sets the waypoint in the center of the maps. You might be able to sort by distance when you have several waypoints in the file.

That being said the ExpertGps program is well worth the purchase price. Being able to see your caches mapped out is really helpful

While I use GSAK now I had the same issue with easygps - one at at time -

sorry - while I work with many windows open all the time, your description does not give me enough information to understand what you are doing.

thanks -

.......  sorry - while I work with many windows open all the time, your description does not give me enough information to understand what you are doing.

thanks -

OK say I have 10 cache locations(waypoints) loaded into EasyGPS. I want to upload all of them at once instead of just one at a time. I have not been able to figure out how to do it.

Actually I was just now looking at it again and I think maybe I have figured it out. I can select them all with <Ctrl-A> or I can hold down <Ctrl> and click on the ones I want to select. I have not tried this but it seems like this would upload the ones you have selected......correct?? :lol:

Edited by drag-racer

If you download the coordinates from the cache page, you are only downloading one cache at a time. If, however, you go to your search page (that lists caches closest to your search location), then you can check the boxes at the right of each cache you want, and download them all at once (from the bottom of the page).

In easy GPS, open each .loc file, then click on window, then tile. This will show all your .loc files opened at once. Then drag and drop the caches from each one into a single file. Save that file. Now you can delete the other files, since all the caches are in one .loc file.

You can either send all to your GPS using the "Send" button in the top menu, or highlight the ones you want, right click, and send only those highlighted.

As for double clicking on a way point and setting it as the active point, this is useful function for use within EasyGPS, but won't affect anything as far as downloading the waypoints. Setting the active point causes two other columns to become active. The bearing to other waypoints and the distance. So if you want to sort a group of waypoints on how far they are from another way point, you set the original waypoint as the active and then click on the column heading for distance. This will result in the entire waypoint list being sorted, nearest to furthest.

.......  sorry - while I work with many windows open all the time, your description does not give me enough information to understand what you are doing.

thanks -

OK say I have 10 cache locations(waypoints) loaded into EasyGPS. I want to upload all of them at once instead of just one at a time. I have not been able to figure out how to do it.

Actually I was just now looking at it again and I think maybe I have figured it out. I can select them all with <Ctrl-A> or I can hold down <Ctrl> and click on the ones I want to select. I have not tried this but it seems like this would upload the ones you have selected......correct?? :lol:

If you want to send a subset of the waypoints to your GPSr, using the click - shift click for a range, or cntrl click each one and then right click & select 'send waypoints to GPS'. If you want to send all the waypoints in the file, use the 'Send' button on the toolbar.

OK thanks. Exactly what do you mean by "really good files"?? Why is a pocket query better than just downloading a .loc file with multiple caches??

The difference between .loc files and the .gpx files (from PQs) is the amount of info included. The gpx file has ALL the info on the cache page. Using a program like GSAK allows you to look at the page off-line & load the info to a PDA (paperless caching).

PQs also let you grab more at a time - up to 500 instead of 20. You can also limit the type of caches you get info for (trads, multi, etc. or size micro, regular, etc) and lots of other options.

When I double click on a wp, it puts a little red arrow to the side(sets to active).....what does this mean and why would I want to do this??

It means that it calculates the distance from this "selected" waypoint to the others in the list. For example, I set my home as the "active waypoint" then click on the heading of the "Distance" column. This sorts all waypoints from nearest to furthest from my home and tells me how far away they are.

I think you’ve figured the rest out. A couple of points you may not realize:

If you right click on any one of a selected set you get a menu of options that includes sending them to your GPS.

If you select an individual waypoint and click the yellow pushpin (View on Line) it will start you browser and take you to this cache on the geocaching website.

If you have more specific questions post them.

Edited by Thot
OK thanks.  Exactly what do you mean by "really good files"??  Why is a pocket query better than just downloading a .loc file with multiple caches??

the loc file has minimum information in it.  The pq files have all the caches in one file rather than downloading single ones.

sorry - that was really informative wasn't it?

the gpx files have much more infomation in them and the program is much more feature rich and easy to use.

Edited by CompuCash

For my purposes I find EasyGPS does everything I need. I wrote a little program that combines .loc files downloaded from geocaching.com, so I can just click the mark all, download the 20 on the page, go to the next page repeat, and do this again and again until I get as many waypoints as I want. For example, if I’m trying to get caches around Cheyenne, Wyoming I begin with a zipcode (or lat/lon) near the center of town. While downloading I name the first 20 Cheyenne1, the next 20 Cheyenne2 . . . Cheyenne10, etc. Then my program combines these individual sets of 20 into one .loc file that is loaded into EasyGPS. If you want to be picky you can select all 20 on a page then uncheck any you don’t want, such as 5 star terrain or micros or virtuals or whatever you don’t want before downloading each set.

I have a broadband connection. so I can highlight caches on the list in EasyGPS and get all the information available by viewing the cache online.

Forgive me if all this is obvious.

Edited by Thot
It's probably just me, but I found GSAK much more difficult to use/understand than EasyGPS. And, since EasyGPS does everything I need the extra complexity wasn't worth learning.

For my purposes I find EasyGPS does everything I need.  I wrote a little program that combines .loc files downloaded from geocaching.com, so I can just click the mark all, download the 20 on the page, go to the next page repeat, and do this again and again until I get as many waypoints as I want... If you want to be picky you can select all 20 on a page then uncheck any you don’t want, such as 5 star terrain or micros or virtuals or whatever you don’t want before downloading each set.

I have a broadband connection. so I can highlight caches on the list in EasyGPS and get all the information available by viewing the cache online.

I also have a broadband connection, but the approach Thot suggested still seems, IMHO, very cumbersome and time consuming (not to mention the time he spent writing his program - which is great if you enjoy it and have the programming skills!). Since people have different skill levels and place different values on time & convenience, let me share my experience.

I first used EasyGPS and was happy with it for a little while.

Then I became a premium member, mostly to support the site (I didn't see any great advantages to membership at the time). Then I started using Pocket Queries - now I don't have to do anything to receive my weekly updated list of 350 local caches - the information laden GPX file just appears in my inbox, with the frequency and on the day(s) of the week I selected!

The Pocket Query is prefiltered for a variety of characteristics (cache type; cache container; owned, not owned; when last found; has travel bugs; terrain and/or difficulty greater than, equal to, or less than any amount; centered around a waypoint, zip code or coordinates; within a defined radius in miles or km; and when placed). If I'm going someplace else, it only takes a moment or two to generate a new pocket query for that area with up to 500 caches in one file, again pre-filtered on any of the above characteristics I choose. You can also simultaneously receive the same information in eBook format for a PDA (more on that later).

Once I saw the beauty of Pocket Queries, I started using Utopia, which is free and more robust than EasyGPS but with a simpler/more intuitive user interface than GSAK. It includes an offline viewer that is faster than a broadband connection (and more printer friendly than the geocaching.com pages), allows you to decrypt hints by default, select the number of logs shown, and filter caches by found, not found, type, difficulty, terrain, distance, etc., etc. (if you want to filter your comprehensive pocket query for what you feeling like doing on a particular day). Pocket Queries and Utopia made planning a geocaching outing so much faster and convenient - I loved it so much that I emailed the author, and he used a quote from my email on his website (with my permission)!

My first reaction to Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK) was similar to Thot's - much more difficult to use and understand and not worth the effort. After seeing it praised so many times in these forums I gave it another chance, and after playing around with it for a couple of hours, I became a GSAK convert. It's much more powerful than EasyGPS and more powerful than Utopia in that it allows you to export GPX files to your PDA in the CacheMate format, which is so much better than MobiPocket Reader (for eBooks).

Different strokes for different folks, and I might not have ended up using GSAK and Cachemate if I hadn't evolved my way to it, but that's my experience, for what it's worth!