what does this mean? "Warning. Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links."

callibaetis

Photos are the worst. I click on them to see the players or character or the site and find someone pointing at the hiding place. Ruins it for me. You will sometimes get that in the log too. Those parts of the log should be encrypted and the photos that do that should say "spoiler". Handy if you are stuck and can't find the cache but otherwise why go hunting if you know where it is?

Exactly, there's been a few times where I'm going through the logs, and somebody mentions something that is a dead giveaway to where the cache is hidden, or something that the clue mentions. I know that's the price I pay for reading the logs before I visit the cahce, but they should still be encrypted.

I see this topic in so many threads. I just want to voice my opinion. I am into this sport/hobby as much as the next nerd with 75 finds, but I am not in it for the hunt. I would never buy tickets to go to Europe and plan the whole thing out with my travel agent, but tell her, "Oh, no thanks, don't tell me where my hotel is. I prefer to wander around the city all day till I find it." If I get off the plane and make it to Rome, I want to get a ride right to my hotel. Does that mean I don't get to stamp my passport 'Italy'? Either way I got there, and enjoyed myself.

I am not trying to dictate how others should practice this obsession, but as for me, I like the maps, the planning, the hikes, the trading, and the logging of finds and the comaraderie of posting here with all of you. No where in that list of activities that are enjoyable for me will you find searching in the hot sun for an hour only to go home emptyhanded. I decode the hint before I print everytime and I look at all the photos. Bottom line, I sign the logbook and that counts for a icon_smile.gif If I choose not to handicap my play, does that make it any less of a find? OK, my rant is over. Carry on.

stealyourcache.jpg

I'm not as young as I used to be...

It takes me all night to do what I used to do all night.

-Dru Morgan www.theheavenlyhost.com/dru

I see this topic in so many threads. I just want to voice my opinion. I am into this sport/hobby as much as the next nerd with 75 finds, but I am not in it for the hunt. I would never buy tickets to go to Europe and plan the whole thing out with my travel agent, but tell her, "Oh, no thanks, don't tell me where my hotel is. I prefer to wander around the city all day till I find it." If I get off the plane and make it to Rome, I want to get a ride right to my hotel. Does that mean I don't get to stamp my passport 'Italy'? Either way I got there, and enjoyed myself.

I am not trying to dictate how others should practice this obsession, but as for me, I like the maps, the planning, the hikes, the trading, and the logging of finds and the comaraderie of posting here with all of you. No where in that list of activities that are enjoyable for me will you find searching in the hot sun for an hour only to go home emptyhanded. I decode the hint before I print everytime and I look at all the photos. Bottom line, I sign the logbook and that counts for a icon_smile.gif If I choose not to handicap my play, does that make it any less of a find? OK, my rant is over. Carry on.

stealyourcache.jpg

Heavenly Host-

I understand your position and agree with you up to a point. I do feel however, that the difficulty of a cache should be determined by the cache owner. A person posting a 'find' should not give away the location of the container, the method of hide, or the 'twist'.

I didn't mean to imply that the finders should give away more than the hiders. I agree. Whenever I find a cache, I never post a description of where in my logs. It is not my position to 'correct' the description for the placer. I have only once given a really cryptic clue for one cache I had trouble with.

But, I find it silly when people talk about waiting for another cacher to 'rehide' the cache so they can have the thrill of 'finding' it on their own.

I was recently at a geocache picnic and there were 4 micro caches hidden in the park for the day. With over 50 people there, there were several people wandering around to each cache. When I would approach one, invariably, a group would yell "Don't come close! We have to rehide it first!" Now, I was 10 feet away and watched them put it under the rock. It just seemed a little silly.

Again, enjoy the sport any way you wish. That is what is great about it, something for everyone. But, I just don't get that part of it.

stealyourcache.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by The Heavenly Host:

I am into this sport/hobby as much...(snip)...

It is now oficially a RASH, not a sport/hobby. icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

quote:
Originally posted by The Heavenly Host:

I am into this sport/hobby as much...(snip)...

It is now oficially a RASH, not a sport/hobby. icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

quote:
Originally posted by callibaetis:

What does this phrase mean when it shows up in a cache description????

It means if you read about the cache, and then make a dash, to find the stash, you will get hooked and have a RASH!

--majicman

How about an example log:

[fictional example]

"Wow! This one was a tuffy! Thank goodness we wandered off the right side of the trail, heading past the 'Deer Creek' sign, following the laying-dead oak tree to what was left of it's trunk, which had a branch pointing due north at a game trail, which leads to a creek, that we followed downstream to another trail that had a footbridge, where the green ammo can with the orange letters was tucked underneath on the east side of the stream! Man! If we had batteries in our GPS, we probably would have gotten confused by the big rock at the end of the Elk Creek trail that suspiciously looks like a place that someone would want cachers to look... you know, a DECOY? This one was really challenging. I'm not surprised there aren't very many finds on this one. Yep! That's what makes it fun! Oh yeah, if you read the hint, it tells you to park at this lot that adds about 500 yards to your walk. Just take the second driveway and park by the gate, so you won't have to walk up the small hill."

[/fictional example]

icon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gif

I say... If you don't want to see sex, drugs, and violence, you don't have to turn on the tv. If you want the cache that you're seeking to be a challenge, read the logs after you find it. Now, before those of you that will, get all 'huffy' icon_mad.gif, I say that merely as food (or ???) for thought. I like the challenge, but I like to read the logs too. If they're sitting there in front of me, it's hard not to read them. Before I go-off on a tangent about warnings and disclaimers icon_rolleyes.gif, I'll just say that I am responsible for my own actions, and if I read past "Warning. Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links." then I better not whine when someone gives away the magical clues that take all of the fun out of seeking a cache.

Thanks for putting up with my brain-spew. icon_wink.gif

------------------------

STURGEON GENERAL WARNING: Fishing can decrease the risk of long-term employment, a meaningful relationship, and any chance of financial independence... Oh well.

How about an example log:

[fictional example]

"Wow! This one was a tuffy! Thank goodness we wandered off the right side of the trail, heading past the 'Deer Creek' sign, following the laying-dead oak tree to what was left of it's trunk, which had a branch pointing due north at a game trail, which leads to a creek, that we followed downstream to another trail that had a footbridge, where the green ammo can with the orange letters was tucked underneath on the east side of the stream! Man! If we had batteries in our GPS, we probably would have gotten confused by the big rock at the end of the Elk Creek trail that suspiciously looks like a place that someone would want cachers to look... you know, a DECOY? This one was really challenging. I'm not surprised there aren't very many finds on this one. Yep! That's what makes it fun! Oh yeah, if you read the hint, it tells you to park at this lot that adds about 500 yards to your walk. Just take the second driveway and park by the gate, so you won't have to walk up the small hill."

[/fictional example]

icon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gif

I say... If you don't want to see sex, drugs, and violence, you don't have to turn on the tv. If you want the cache that you're seeking to be a challenge, read the logs after you find it. Now, before those of you that will, get all 'huffy' icon_mad.gif, I say that merely as food (or ???) for thought. I like the challenge, but I like to read the logs too. If they're sitting there in front of me, it's hard not to read them. Before I go-off on a tangent about warnings and disclaimers icon_rolleyes.gif, I'll just say that I am responsible for my own actions, and if I read past "Warning. Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links." then I better not whine when someone gives away the magical clues that take all of the fun out of seeking a cache.

Thanks for putting up with my brain-spew. icon_wink.gif

------------------------

STURGEON GENERAL WARNING: Fishing can decrease the risk of long-term employment, a meaningful relationship, and any chance of financial independence... Oh well.

One of the folks that found a cache I hid took me to task for not including driving directions in the description. So now I add enough info that you should be able to start in an appropriate spot.

I like to place caches the way that are similar to the caches that I like to find (isn't that amazing!). Not a trivial walk, not an obvious hiding spot, but at the same time, something that can be found with an appropriate usage of logic and observation. The part I am struggling with currently is how to rate a cache that is normally 1.5/2, unless there are mosquitoes, when it is 5/5!

Until we get a frost that kills these beasts, I'm looking for caches that you can drive up to! (J/K, of course!)

Regards-

Norm

It seems that you have a good idea what it means now. I do have an example for you though. I started a new kind of cache(at least I don't think its been done before) that I call a progressive cache. It involves a series of individual full size caches that have to be found in order because the code to finding the next one is inside the one before it. So where I am going with this is the fact that one of the finders of the first cache in my series posted photos of the code to the next cache in the series. Lots of people said that they liked the idea and I had planned to do 8 caches in this series, but now with 3 out I am stopping the series. This one person spoiled the fun for me and everyone that wanted to find this series of caches. I think this action on his part falls just short of plundering a cache. Both things ruin the caching experience for everyone involved. The only difference is that I do not think this person did this with mallace in mind. So spoilers SPOIL the experience for the people it was intended to be enjoyable for.

Sabaharr

Why not just delete the photo? I don't know about most cachers, but even if I had read the hint, by the time I had gone through the pages of n other caches preparing to find them, I probably wouldn't remember it anymore. If the photo was gone by then, great!

One solution for the spoiler problem is to cache as a team. I tend to read the cache pages, so if someone accidentally sees a spoiler, it's me. When we go out, I don't tell everyone else what I've seen unless we're stuck and need the hint. Then I do.

Shannah

I am very new to this activity and am anxiously awaiting a chance to actually get out and try it. A friend posted this URL some time ago and suggested I look into it. I started giggling with amazement over Geocaching and knew I would just have to try it.

I just set up my account here and this is my first time reading these forums. I, also, noticed this phrase and while I suspected that it involved information that could spoil the surprise, I wasn't sure. I have a couple questions for the more experienced out there, relating to this.

First, If I set up a cache out there and post a page here, or whatever you do, When someone posts replies to the cache, rather than deleting the post, can I edit and redact their comments to omit information that could spoil the fun for others? Also, if they post photos that show too much or are in any way inappropriate, can I edit the photos to omit certain information? When I say edit I mean bluring or cropping etc. Or, is the only way to protect the mystery of the cache and it's concelement to delete posts and pictures entirely?

This sounds like great fun and I would not want to simply delete someones posts that they feel compeled to provide I would imagine that most posts have some valuable information or realistic and reasonable clues. However I would also want to protect and preserve the next guys ability to enjoy the hunt.

I can't wait to get out and find some caches myself.

quote:
Originally posted by wmas1960:

When someone posts replies to the cache, rather than deleting the post, can I edit and redact their comments to omit information that could spoil the fun for others? Also, if they post photos that show too much or are in any way inappropriate, can I edit the photos to omit certain information? When I say edit I mean bluring or cropping etc. Or, is the only way to protect the mystery of the cache and it's concelement to delete posts and pictures entirely?

You're right - you can't edit either pictures or posts. You as the cache owner have the ability to delete them or encrypt them, but that's it. Encrypting is OK, because most of us understand that if a log is encrypted, it usually contains a spoiler. But if you as the cache owner are adamant that there are NO spoilers on your cache page, the only control you have is delete.

Alternatively, I have e-mailed finders to ask them to edit their logs (they can do that) to leave out the spoilers, or I've asked them to delete pictures. However, if I receive no response within a reasonable time, I consider that tacet approval to delete from my cache page.

In my history of Geocaching (500 days today), and hiding 18 traditional caches, I've had to do that twice.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers