Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gpsindy

Any Own The Yaesu Vx-7r Handheld?

I have a few friends that have one. they love it. One problem though is that for the waterproofness, you have to talk louder in the mike and the buttons are a littleharder to push....

My wife and I each have one of those HT's and they have been absolutely great; she got hers first to replace an ICOM HT, and mine replaced a VX-5R (which replaced a VX-1R).

The '7R has a lot of features and they are easy to use as well.

If you get one, get a programming cable and software to go with it. I programmed one by hand, and it took a long time. With the software and cable, the same task takes much less time, and makes it easy to edit and change settings and memories. The VX-7 Commander software is more versatile than the ADMS from Yaesu, although both work well. :rolleyes:

Edited by Overland1

I don't have one (although I want one!). The people I know seem to like it. I can't imagine learning and having need for all of its features though. If I were getting a new HT I'd probably get a VX-5R instead. The waterproofness was mentioned earlier. Apparently that means it needs a special (and I'd assume more expensive) speaker-mic. A speaker mic could be handy for geocaching, but then again, so could waterproofness.

I've got one and got reports of poor TX audio. I removed the waterproof membrane covering the mic and the problem went away. The HT also has a bad intermod problem if in duel band mode. (3 bands for me with police on the third band)

I have a few friends that have one. they love it. One problem though is that for the waterproofness, you have to talk louder in the mike and the buttons are a littleharder to push....

By the way Vertex E. (Yaesu) first denied of this problem then they admitted (about two months ago) to the problem in the radio and now they are accepting send ins. So if you’re fed up with the audio problem send it in.

If you can’t send it in (e.g. you modified the radio) this will help, try bringing the radio closer to your mouth. This helps a lot.

Try this link if you're interested in the non-blocked version.

I use VX Commander (free software) to program my VX-7R. By the way with this program you can software Mod your radio to have non blocked wide band Tx- Rx (MARS) or free band with out paying a cent.

I don't have a 7R but I do have the VXA-700 which is the aviation/ham dual bander which I love. Haven't noticed a problem with the audio as mentioned above. ATC has not complained when I've used it to talk to them while in flight.