Pocket Queries

3 Blondes & Me

Not sure if there is something I am missing, or if something changed or not. I have had a pocket query set-up since about February. I run it about once a month when I go out of town on business to a particular city. After it was intially set-up I have never had to change it - just give it the date that I want it to run, usually a day before I head out of town.

This morning the pocket query email indicated no results. Yet when I went online and ran the same query directly to the screen I got what I was expecting.

What's up?

Not sure if there is something I am missing, or if something changed or not. I have had a pocket query set-up since about February. I run it about once a month when I go out of town on business to a particular city. After it was intially set-up I have never had to change it - just give it the date that I want it to run, usually a day before I head out of town.

This morning the pocket query email indicated no results. Yet when I went online and ran the same query directly to the screen I got what I was expecting.

What's up?

I got the same thing:

Your Pocket Query had no results. If you believe you should have received a result

to your query, please review your Pocket Query for errors.

This is from a pocket query I have run 100s of times in the past, and hasn't been edited in months.

I had two scheduled, only one gave this error. The other never arrived.

There is definitely some kind of problem regarding pocket queries.

--Marky

I'm not sure if this is related or not (God I hope so, as it would at least give me a reason for the problem!)

I just recently became a Premium Member (due, in no small part, to the ability to download GPX files and finally start on the path to paperless-caching).

I have set up 10 PQs (to get a good set of basedata for GSAK) and had a set of 5 set to execute on Monday and a second set of 5 to execute on Tuesday.

As yet not a single PQ has executed for me!

Am I doing something wrong?!?!?!

I have been having a problem also. I have one query that was to run on 8/22 (yesterday) that has run every Sunday for months, and this time it said there were no results. Looking at it directly, there are 406 entries. I added this to my Tuesday list to see if it runs correctly.

Also I had set up several one-time only queries for yesterday. One of these ran, the other 3 did not. I moved these to Wednesday to see if they run then. These are queries that I set up and run about once or twice a month, and never had a problem with them before.

I know this may be percieved as a bit of a dummy-spit, but I am quite disappointed in the added functionality I have access to as a "Premium Member".

Just trying to setup a good off-line database so that I can try and start using GSAK and my HandheldPC in my cache searches is not much more pleasant than root canal minus the anesthetic!

Between the posts in this section regarding the limitations of the PQs and the difficulties nearly everyone has with them, and the fact that not a single one of my PQs have run as yet I am starting to get a bit frustrated here!!

I know that this frustration may be due, in part at least, to the fact that I am new to a few of the concepts here and haven't yet tweaked my setup, but having an unreliable base to try and work my configurations to definitely isn't helping.

Considering that one of the main sticking points people speak about is the load PQs place on the servers when they run, I'd rather have the option to just download a dump of all the caches in my country as a GSX file and then perform my own filtering off-line!

// Grrrr!!!!!

I know this may be percieved as a bit of a dummy-spit, but I am quite disappointed in the added functionality I have access to as a "Premium Member".

Just trying to setup a good off-line database so that I can try and start using GSAK and my HandheldPC in my cache searches is not much more pleasant than root canal minus the anesthetic!

Between the posts in this section regarding the limitations of the PQs and the difficulties nearly everyone has with them, and the fact that not a single one of my PQs have run as yet I am starting to get a bit frustrated here!!

I know that this frustration may be due, in part at least, to the fact that I am new to a few of the concepts here and haven't yet tweaked my setup, but having an unreliable base to try and work my configurations to definitely isn't helping.

Considering that one of the main sticking points people speak about is the load PQs place on the servers when they run, I'd rather have the option to just download a dump of all the caches in my country as a GSX file and then perform my own filtering off-line!

// Grrrr!!!!!

Hang in there. I think most folks grousing here would agree that having the off-line database is infinitely better than dealing with the sluggish web site. Despite what you have read, the PQ server is NOT putting a strain on the web page server because they are two different machines. (In fact today the PQ server managed to process all of todays and yesterdays PQs - evidence that it is running at less than half capacity). It got hung up and you should shortly see a bunch of PQs, if you have everything set right inside the PQs. If not, then keep trying.

The whole process has a bit of a learning curve. step 1 is getting the gpx files (PQs); step 2 is getting them into a tool that you can use to manipulate them (GSAK); step 3 is filtering so you get what you want and sending that into your GPSr (and PDA). It took us all a while to get it working 'cause its a bit nerdy and NOT user-friendly. But once it works it is very nice. Just take it step by step. There are many kind folks here who will assist when you get hung up.

It looks like the only problem was on Sunday. See my earlier post. Yesterday and today I received the queries that I expected to see. Hopefully, we won't have too many of these gliches in the future.

Lucanos,

I agree with the post by Hynr. Hang in there and keep trying. I use GSAK and have been for several months, and I still don't get my filters right the 1st time every time. Once I do, I send the results to CacheMate on my Palm PDA which is connected to my GPSr and all works well. Just keep trying!

Edited by ErnieD1125

Inexplicably the pocket query generator machine ran out of disk space on Sunday, causing a cascading number of problems. This was why you received an email with 0 results. We have a monitor for disk space on every machine now except bender. We have changed to monitor that machine as well.

Sorry for the trouble.