Cityselect V5 Or V6??

MSSP

We'll I broke down and ordered a C60 the other day so I am impatiently waiting for it to arrive... In the meantime I am looking at AutoNav kits and software. All the kits seem to be shipping with CitySelect Version 5 not 6. What's the big difference between the two? How much is the upgrade?

I found CitySelect V6 on eBay for $119.95 + $10 shipping. I really want a windshield mount instead of the beanbag one that comes with the AutoNav kit, so I'm not sure that I'd be better off buying the kit if it doesn't have the up to date software and accessories I want.

Suggestions?

I just got my auto nav kit last week with v5. When you register it and get the unlock code, you have the chance to upgrade to v6 for free. They will send you a disc.

As far as the beanbag mount in the kit goes, we used it yesterday on a trip and it worked great in a Dodge Caravan. My 60cs was within my reach and my daughter could see it from the back.

Good Luck

Confirmation:

When you buy an older version after a new version has been released, you get the upgrade to the new version for free. :blink:

So go 'head and buy that AutoNav kit.

As for the difference, the map data is more up to date. My brother moved into a new house three years ago. His street appears on the new version 6, but not on version 5 :blink:

There are some new features in the MapSource program as well. CLICK HERE to view the list.

Edited by Neo_Geo
I really want a windshield mount instead of the beanbag one that comes with the AutoNav kit,

Well, for what it is worth, I've used both the bean bag mount and the suction cup mount. The suction mount fell off the window several times...Just thud! A $550.00 GPSR slams he dash board. Sorta made me nervous...know what I mean? Now I use the friction mount and I love it dearly! Just my 2 cents worth...

I had visions of the bean bag mount falling off of the dash or slamming into the window in traffic... If the version upgrade is free than maybe the AutoNav kit (one off eBay probably) would be the way to go... If I don't like the bean bag mount I'm sure I could sell it off reasonable to someone who did want it. Both my vehicles have fairly flat dashboards...

Anyone have a line on the cheapest place to get the AutoNav kits??

Thanks for the help on here everyone.

Since I bought my first GPS a few weeks ago I've already bought and returned a Magellan Meridian Gold (too big), then a Magellan Explorist 200 (too limited). Now I jumped on one of the Etrex Legends from Campingworld for $99 (to use as a backup and one for my daughter to play with) and have the 60C on the way... Could be an expensive hobby....

Thanks!

Try the bean bag.

For me it didn't work. I seem to be to heavy on the gas when taking off at a light that turns green and I (literally) had the 60CS flying all the way to the back seat twice...

No I have proclips (www.proclipusa.com) in each of my cars and they work great. No damage to the dash (important if you ever want to sell the car) and the mount is very stable...

Try the bean bag.

For me it didn't work. I seem to be to heavy on the gas when taking off at a light that turns green and I (literally) had the 60CS flying all the way to the back seat twice...

Wow - my bean bag never moves on the dash of my Accord or my Suburban. Granted I have a GPS V in it which is oriented in a horizontal fashion, but that thing never moves!

Try the bean bag.

Wow - my bean bag never moves on the dash of my Accord or my Suburban. Granted I have a GPS V in it which is oriented in a horizontal fashion, but that thing never moves!

I think the high center of gravity on the 60CS helps a great deal in it's attempts to become airborne... I am not that agressive a driver - my tires never squeal etc...

The dash of my Sebring Convertible is somewhat curved but not that much...

I tried the back in a Pontiac Sunfire as well - with the same results - except it didn't fly as far :lol:

Confirmation:

When you buy an older version after a new version has been released, you get the upgrade to the new version for free. :o

As for the difference, the map data is more up to date. My brother moved into a new house three years ago. His street appears on the new version 6, but not on version 5 :lol:

There are some new features in the MapSource program as well. CLICK HERE to view the list.

Arent you able to just keep downloading the newest updates for city select once you buy the software? I've been downlarding updates for over a year now. Am I missing something?

Confirmation:

When you buy an older version after a new version has been released, you get the upgrade to the new version for free.  :o

As for the difference, the map data is more up to date.  My brother moved into a new house three years ago.  His street appears on the new version 6, but not on version 5  :lol:

There are some new features in the MapSource program as well.  CLICK HERE to view the list.

Arent you able to just keep downloading the newest updates for city select once you buy the software? I've been downlarding updates for over a year now. Am I missing something?

You've been downloading the MapSource updates. MapSource is the program used by City Select. City Select is the data and that's not updated on the web but released ($75 upgrade) each year. MapSource updates have been free and work with current/previous versions of the City Select data.

Just got the CitySelect v6 upgrade, and yes, it's much better to have this, especially if you spend time in various cities. Just in the areas that I know there have been several helpful (really critical) updates. This holds true for most cities, but it's been especially helpful for me near the airports, most of which seem to have changed quite a bit in the last year. Boston, Reagan, and SFO are just a few.

Confirmation:

When you buy an older version after a new version has been released, you get the upgrade to the new version for free.  :o

As for the difference, the map data is more up to date.  My brother moved into a new house three years ago.  His street appears on the new version 6, but not on version 5  :lol:

There are some new features in the MapSource program as well.  CLICK HERE to view the list.

You've been downloading the MapSource updates. MapSource is the program used by City Select. City Select is the data and that's not updated on the web but released ($75 upgrade) each year. MapSource updates have been free and work with current/previous versions of the City Select data.

Ok, I just checked. I have City Select V5 Mapsource V6.3. I'm wondering if I should get V6 for my new 60cs that will be here on Thurs? I'm a truck driver so I use it allot to get me places. Let me ask you this... Since I own this software already am I able to get this $75 upgrade from Garmin? I looked on their site but didnt see where to buy it.

I went ahead and just had TigerGPS just add Version 6.0 to my order (A 60C that should be here tomorrow). I figured that would just be easier than messing with trying to get an "upgrade"... Also ordered a RAM mount from GPS city as well. Now I just need to get a cable 12V cable and I'm set for the most part....