Garmin 60cs Vs. 76cs

THarvey3

Other than memory capacity, is there any difference between the 60CS & 76CS? I'm brand new to this and am looking for a GPS that will last a couple years. Price doesn't really matter as long as it doesn't exceed $500.

What do you guys suggest for a high-quality unit for a new user?

Thanks for your comments!!!

Yes the 76 does have a better basemap, but with the awesome routing features, who really wants to rely on the basemap when you can navigate using detailed streetmaps like city select?

I debated on these 2 and chose the 60CS. I liked the outdoors rugged look of the CS as well as its somewhat smaller size. The 60CS does have less memory, but 56MB is enough for me to load almost every topo and cityselect map in my state. Since I use a laptop, updating my maps on the road is a simple process.

Both units use the same software, so it boils down to a matter of preference for the case style and the need/desire for more memory.

So would you say the 60CS technology will last for a couple years? I like the idea of double the memory with the 76CS but I don't know Jack at this point. I do agree the 60 looks cooler.

Also, is there an IDEAL GPS in the $200 range (I may have to buy a couple for family members). Thanks!

I've had the 76CS since it came out - I've auto-routed everywhere I've wanted to go using the basemap, it's pretty good. I'll buy City Select when I find I need it, so far I haven't. I keep all of Idaho/W. Montana and E. Washington TOPO maps loaded, they use less than 1/2 the memory.

Heres the thing..one could trust the 76 series basemap as a standalone..the 60 series NEEDS the detailed maps to be of any real use mapwise..and only holds half the memory of the 76 at that. The ONLY argument for the 60 series is a 40 dollar savings and or you like the ergos better. The 76 is a wicked nice gps unit..the pictures don't do it justice...plus it floats and is comfortable to hold. It is slimmer than the 60 and essentially the same height. I am glad I made the switch. I went with the 76C because I had a vista awhile ago and I can live without the compass since I bought this gps mainly to attach to a dirtbike.

One issue with the entire 76 line is that they get best reception held vertically, but the compass only works properly if the unit is held horizontally. All the people I know who have a 76 complain about this flaw. If you're using the navigation screen to find a cache, the unit has to be held in a manner that hinders reception and if you want optimum reception, you can't use the navigation screen.

Does the 76 have all the cache related functions the 60 has? If it does I'm starting to doubt my purchace of the 60cs. I'm a local truck driver the 60cs holds all of my area for work but the extra memory would be cool for vacations.

Yes... same geocaching functions in the 76C(S) as the 60C(S).

I can't imagine having either of these units and NOT buying really good mapping software to take advantage of some of the best features. I'd have bought a nice etrex if I did not want awesome mapping and routing capabilities.

Switching back and forth from topo maps to city select street maps is just too cool.

One 76CS on the way! Anyone know anything about the Auto Nav kit that sells for $150? Is it like standard auto Navs where you an input street numbers on an LCD keyboard? The LCD looks pretty small!

The auto nav kit comes with city select (detailed maps), a beanbag mount (temporary automotive mounting), an auto mount (permanent mounting), cradle, and cigarette adapter (unlimited power from car battery). I believe your question refers more to how the gps handles autorouting. Here are the screens associated with finding an address taken directly from my 76CS, the screens are (clockwise from top left): the main selection screen, selecting the number, selecting the street, selecting the city. They all use the same on screen keyboard, and I think the LCD is a pretty good size, especially for the total size of the unit. FYI the screen is 160x240 resolution.

970e1c60-d158-4625-8214-9e82e71c71cc.jpg

For me the basemap is largely irrelevant. There's more than enough room for maps in the 60CS to cover the typical roadtrip. And it's simple enough to toss more maps into the unit with my laptop in the hotel. And with USB...? uploads/downloads take only a few minutes as opposed to the 40+ minutes I used to wait on the GPSV.

That really elminates the memory issue for me because changing maps isn't such a chore.

Never held a 76cs in my hand so I can't comment but there's just something I like at the 60 ever since I first took it out of the box. Really fits in the hand nicely.

I prefer the button arrangement much more than I did on the GPSV.

Edited by jollybgood
So would you say the 60CS technology will last for a couple years? I like the idea of double the memory with the 76CS but I don't know Jack at this point. I do agree the 60 looks cooler.

Also, is there an IDEAL GPS in the $200 range (I may have to buy a couple for family members). Thanks!

That's a good question. Does anyone know how the processors of the two compare speedwise?

Based on Garmin's descriptions of the two units it seems like the GPS 60 is faster.

As I recall on the bullet list for the 60 it says "Faster Processor" or something similar.

'Faster" compared to what they don't say but I'm assuming they are referring to all of their previous models.

Edited by jollybgood

yeah processor is the same, only real difference is the case and the memory, basically what you need to do is hold them and see what feels better. Personally I didn't mind the size of the 76cs, I preferred the feel of the 60CS but for 2x the memory the different case was not a problem :lol: