Geocaching In The News.

JMBella

WB11 News. They really did a nice job with the piece despite the word buried being in there. It might load a little slow. Working on that.

That gives me an idea. We should come up with a list of words and phrases for people to reference when they are doing an interview.

Don't say:

Buried

Banned by NPS

Bomb Squad

Do Say:

CITO

Family Friendly

Environmentally friendly

Edited by JMBella

I can say with some confidence that you were the least geeky person in that clip. In fact, it wouldn't frighten me at all if you sat next to me on the bus.

At first I thought you always cache in a great mob like that, but they mention halfway through that it was an event cache. Ohhhh. Two mentions of "buried" but otherwise a good treatment.

Enjoy your fifteen minutes. :blink:

That is a nice piece, and yes it does take a long time to load!!

You know… even though you had mentioned that the word “buried” was used, I missed it the first time through. When I watched the video again, I noticed “buried treasure” mentioned twice, but not by the reporter… by two different geocachers! I really had to pay attention to even notice.

I think “buried treasure” is simply a figure of speech that most people don’t necessarily take to mean literally “buried” …just like they don’t necessarily think geocaches are literally “treasure.” “Buried treasure” is just a colorful way of referring to hidden caches and I don’t think it must be avoided.

By the way, who are some of the other cachers in the video?

Well, there's a woman toward the end who says something like, "you hide it or bury it in the woods." I winced.

Can we choke her? I think the law allows for that.

Yeah, I know. That came from someone who has been caching for more than a year! I checked with the authorities and they have no guidelines that say we can't choke her in the event she says buried in a cache story on TV. I think that fall under adequate permission right?

In fact, it wouldn't frighten me at all if you sat next to me on the bus.

Hey, thanks. That's one of the nicest things anyone's ever said to me. ;)

By the way, who are some of the other cachers in the video?

OK in order of appearance:

The first guy with the GPS is Bill, WRR. He started right at the same time I did. The first time I lost my GPS he actually let me borrow his for a week!

The guy with the goat tee (sp) is Marc of M&M_NY. His wife has the hat on to his right. They spent a lot of time interviewing them. They are THE quintessential geocaching family. 90% of the time they cache together with there two kids. They have well over 600 finds and a bunch of great hides.

The guy with the suspenders is Roy, Bayontes4u, AKA RPA. Although he would never agree, he is practically the farther of Long Island Geocaching. He has 46 great hides. That's because when he started there were only a few caches on the island and he didn't have a choice.

The dollar bill origami guy is Eyedoc, Andrew. It was his interview in Newsday the got me into geocaching.

The person bowing to Floopy is Snikit.

Stayfloopy is the one with (at the time) 2846 finds. Now at 2961.

The woman walking with Lolita is one half of Shamu.

That's the best I could do. I think Mopars GPS made it in the spot as well.

:blink:

In fact, it wouldn't frighten me at all if you sat next to me on the bus.

Hey, thanks. That's one of the nicest things anyone's ever said to me. :blink:

Hey, I test drove my camo pants today. A middle-aged, out-of-shape woman in camo pants (I won't even detail the rest of my kit). Trust me, if I sat next to you on the bus, you'd be all, like, "why do they always sit next to me?"

(Yeah. That's right. I can hear you thinking it. I can hear you all thinking it!)

Well, there's a woman toward the end who says something like, "you hide it or bury it in the woods." I winced.

Oh, yeah... sure enough.

“Some people hide them very well. They’ll cover them with things, they’ll bury them…”

Yes, saying something like that in an interview probably should be avoided. It took me three viewings for it to sink in... being so observant is what makes me such a fine geocacher! :blink:

I still think there's nothing wrong with saying "buried treasure," though, and if I recognized the voice of the person that used it in this video, I'll assume JMBella sees nothing wrong with using it either. :blink:

Yeah I am going to have to agree with it being ok to compare a geocache to a buried treasure. It is something that the average joe can relate to and gets them excited to find it. I also agree we need to do a little tar and feathering to whoever said "some people bury them." Also, slightly off topic, there seems to be more and more people getting geocaching on the news, how does this happen? Did the news crew seek you out or was it vice versa? Just curious in case there was a way for people in more cities to get on the news and spread the geocaching word!