Does The 60c Float?

The unit should float regardless of batteries. Lithium cells will float better, but even with regular alkaline it will kindof float. When I'm around water I attach one of those floating key chains like you attach to boat keys. Just as a extra margin of safety. Dropping a $500 Gps unit and loosing it to the botttom of a lake would really ruin my day.

Easy answer, yes. (:

My video in the other link shows it will come back to the surface with no problem if you use lithium batteries. I would still use some extra proection by using a keychain float as well. A short word of warning about using lithium batteries near water, it they get wet REMOVE THEM AND SET THEM ASIDE. Them batteries do not like getting wet and allow you to stay healthy. :blink:

We3Dements

Easy answer, yes. (:

My video in the other link shows it will come back to the surface with no problem if you use lithium batteries. I would still use some extra proection by using a keychain float as well. A short word of warning about using lithium batteries near water, it they get wet REMOVE THEM AND SET THEM ASIDE. Them batteries do not like getting wet and allow you to stay healthy.  <_<

We3Dements

Cool video.

Thanks!

Why does Joe Smith's floats like a rock?

Edited to add: I see it depends on the batteries.

Also make note to self: Don't by used 60c from we3dements, it's been in water.... :unsure:

Just kidding......

Edited by Milbank
Easy answer, yes. (:

My video in the other link shows it will come back to the surface with no problem if you use lithium batteries. I would still use some extra proection by using a keychain float as well. A short word of warning about using lithium batteries near water, it they get wet REMOVE THEM AND SET THEM ASIDE. Them batteries do not like getting wet and allow you to stay healthy. :lol:

We3Dements

just wondering if you checked what happens when you put it through the garbage disposal in the sink there? <_<:unsure: doh!

Mike

My Webpage

As fare as I know the 72 and 76 series are the only GPSr that are designed ot float, there inted audiance is the marine world. The Ledgend and I am assuming the 60 series do not float. The reason the 76 is bigger is it has a case with enough dead space to allow it to float.

cheers

According to Garmin:

Will my GPS unit float?

A. Currently, Garmin produces only four GPS models that have the ability to float in water. Those units are the GPS 72, GPS 76, GPSMAP 76, and GPSMAP 76S. Garmin recommends the use of lanyards to help ensure that handheld units are not lost overboard in a marine environment.

"The classification of IPX7 is for temporary (i.e. accidental) immersion in water. It is not for continuous underwater use. If the end user is looking for something that can be used underwater continuously, they need to find something rated IPX8 or JIS8. However, we are not aware of any GPS or fish finder that is rated for IPX8 in any price category. You will see in the attached sections of IEC529, that "The manufacturer of the equipment should be consulted to determine the degrees of protection available and the parts of equipment to which the stated degree of protection applies."

"We recently did start to add to our packaging a note concerning the extended waterproofness of our battery compartments as the seal is rubber and over time and wear and tear, will not be able to maintain as good of a seal as when new. We have a vested interest in presenting truthful, correct information to all of our current and potential customers." (End of Garmin statement.)

I think having the unit in water is a chancy proposition at best. And, while it may float in the dead calm seas of a kitchen sink, it may not fare as well in real world situations. I fully trust the unit in rain and snow. But when I'm on/near bodies of water, my trust vanishes. For me, the money spent on my 60c more than justifies the extra expense of a good dry bag when using on/near the water. The one I have has a padded foam that holds the unit in place, provides shock absorption and gives the bag added floatation. It has a secure roll-top closure with a D-ring and a clip. It's also a bright yellow color that helps in finding it should it ever decide to take a swim:

38603818.jpg

Edited by Link & Zelda