Who Are They And What Do They Do, Really?

Dennisfauchez

;) Alrigh, they approve what we place. But they don't know the area, and they don't seem to have any idea of what goes into caching and placing caches. Now I don't wanna seem like I'm against the cache approvers. But why is it that someone who doesn't know where you are or where your cache is get to decide if it's good enough for the site.

I sometimes doubt that the cache approvers even GEOCACHE...

So where are these people anyways? How can someone who's never herd of NIAGARA nevermind Mountain Mills Park, or Decew falls....tell me that my cache isn't good enough. :blink:

-D-

I'm getting real tired of all this complaining about the approvers. This is like the third thread. The game can't be done with out them.. it's like any sport, there is always somebody blaming the ref. Get over it! :blink: Its a game ..sometimes you score..sometimes you don't. I find the fun is in the being out looking, enjoying nature, and exploring. Murfster

;)  ...why is it that someone who doesn't know where you are or where your cache is get to decide if it's good enough for the site....   

They aren't telling you your cache isn't good enough. "Good enough" will be decided subjectively by those that eventually find it.

If your cache wasn't approved, it simply means that it doesn't meet the guidelines for hiding a cache. I'm sure the cache approver was very clear on this. Read the cache hiding rules.

:P

Surely you don't actually believe this...

;)

So where are these people anyways?    How can someone who's never herd of NIAGARA nevermind Mountain Mills Park, or Decew falls....tell me that my cache isn't good enough.  :blink:

Stop complaining about cache approvers and start thanking them once in awhile. Don't sink to the depths of some of the others in these forums.

Who are they and what do they do, really?

They are people like us, with family commitments and work commitments, and they are volunteers who put up with a lot from us to be cache approvers. I've only ever dealt with cache-tech, and I'm sure he's sick and tired of my questions and newbie mistakes, but he's always polite, friendly, and informative when we're communicating back and forth.

I don't know if you are checking the stats in the profile for "cache-tech" when you say you sometimes doubt if approvers even geocache. Reading (lurking?) the forums, I've learned that many approvers play the game under another account (prevents a lot of grief from dissatisfied cachers), so you never know, you may have met one out there on the trails or at an event!

I'm sure you will eventually come to an agreement and get your cache placed. In the meantime, get out there and enjoy finding some caches, and keep on planning new ones, it sounds like yours are received favourably by the cachers in your area...

MaisOui

:0)

;) Alrigh,  they approve what we place. But they don't know the area, and they don't seem to have any idea of what goes into caching and placing caches.    Now I don't wanna seem like I'm against the cache approvers. But why is it that someone who doesn't know where you are or where your cache is get to decide if it's good enough for the site.   

So where are these people anyways?    How can someone who's never herd of NIAGARA nevermind Mountain Mills Park, or Decew falls....tell me that my cache isn't good enough.  :blink:

-D-

Well I laughed at this one, if you only knew who the cache approver for you is and how active that person is....................................lol

By the way thank you active cache approvers and maybe some non active approvers (not in Canada)as well.

Still.....l'ing ol.....lol

Alright, fair enough I was a little out of line. But that doesn't make a difference for my cache which has now been perminently achived. No reason was givin, I just received an e-mail this morning saying that it was achived...

I guess I have no choice but to grab my bike and do the 40k to the cache to hopefully find a new hidding spot :blink:

Hopfully they approve the next one, not for me, but for all those waiting to see the revival of "Are you affraid of the dark"

I have been asked by many people to replace the cache, or find a new way of getting people to that location and such... So I'm not giving up on this one. I'm doing this for those who asked for it. And I'm not about to disapppoint them because a few guidlines got in the way. Keep an eye out for it, There's going to be a new Multi in Decew if It kills me!

-D-

Some interesting statistics:

As a group, the volunteer cache reviewers have found well over 30,000 geocaches, and hidden more than 1,700. The "average" reviewer has found nearly 700 geocaches and hidden about 40. We know a little bit about finding and hiding geocaches, and how the geocache listing requirements operate. Otherwise, we wouldn't have been asked to join the volunteer team.

If you look at my profile, it says I haven't found or hidden any caches. But if you look at my separate player account, I've found nearly 1,100 and hidden about 25 (working on several hides at this very moment). The same is true for many other volunteers who choose to maintain separate accounts for their work on behalf of the website.

I hope that this information is helpful.

Dennisfauchez, First of all the guidelines are flexible. You just have to have a very compelling reason as to why it should flex in your case. Then you have to have an approver who understands why the guidelines are flexable. Not all do, and even among those who do, there is some variation. I suspect you would work with your approver (who archvied your cache ) to get your multi approved with a tweak or two.

murfster, this game could be played without approvers. However I think having approvers solves far and away more problems than it creates.

For the approvers. The debates raging are not generally "should there be approves yes or no" they tend to focus on what should get approved, what an approver should be, and how they should go about thier job. While that sort of vindication may not be what everyone was wanting to see, it does mean there is a fundamental support for approvers.

Volunteer cache reviewers are chosen by Groundspeak, with input from the existing volunteer team. New reviewers are added based on the need for additional help, as the volume and pace of new cache placements continues to rise. There are now more than 50 members of the volunteer team, including three in Canada.

One is asked to become a cache reviewer based on their record, which means they tend to be geocachers with a bit of experience. Cache hides which demonstrate good knowledge of the listing guidelines, thoughtful and helpful forum posts, and a demonstrated commitment to service through working with land managers and/or leading a local geocaching organization are the types of characteristics that get a person noticed.

Volunteer cache reviewers are chosen by Groundspeak, with input from the existing volunteer team. New reviewers are added based on the need for additional help, as the volume and pace of new cache placements continues to rise. There are now more than 50 members of the volunteer team, including three in Canada.

One is asked to become a cache reviewer based on their record, which means they tend to be geocachers with a bit of experience. Cache hides which demonstrate good knowledge of the listing guidelines, thoughtful and helpful forum posts, and a demonstrated commitment to service through working with land managers and/or leading a local geocaching organization are the types of characteristics that get a person noticed.

I hope this isn't by percentage :blink:

Hmmm... I only found 28 caches in five different U.S. states last week. I know... I'm a slacker. I will try to do better next week.

<_<

I should not have taken the time to do the five mile walk in the desert in NM. I could have found at least 10 more caches with the time I wasted there. :unsure::ph34r: