Streets & Trips 2005

Hard Oiler

Picked up the 2005 version today. Looks to be a significant improvement over 2003, at least in my part of Ontario. A lot of the gaps have been filled in, there are now street names in smaller communities where they were missing in the previous version. Some railroads and rivers have appeared although there are still some significant ones missing. More POI's but certainly not comprehensive (no Tim Hortons around here!)

Haven't tried it but it looks like the GPS tracking interface has been upgraded as well.

For $49.95 with a $15 rebate (Future Shop) so far it looks to be worth upgrading.

Data supplier is now Navteq

HardOiler

Haven't tried it but it looks like the GPS tracking interface has been upgraded as well.

Read some posts on the newsgroups today that say that it now supports the "Track Up" option (up is the direction you're travelling) when tracking your position with GPS connected.

Could you check Vancouver Island for Hwy 19? The new four lane highway has never been shown although it's several years old.

Highway 19 is there. I've shown a bit below - was this missing before? I also discovered that there are now a lot of Tim Hortons in Canada - just that the default doesn't show them. However my local one still isn't :P Tried the routing for a trip tomorrow. It seemed to pick a good one. We'll see how good it is tomorrow.

87e140a6-c0eb-4830-b469-efeb666b142d.jpg

Hmmm. Looks like they have three versions now and one doesn't supports GPS tracking.

Looks like FutureShop has some info wrong on Microsoft Streets & Trips 2005 With GPS Locator as it says

GPS Supported Streets & Trips 2005 allows you to find your location while on the road with a GPS device (Sold Separately). GPA device must be running NMEA 2.0 or later to work with Street & Tips 2005.
under features for this package.

The GPS receiver packaged with the "Streets and Trips 2005 with GPS Locator" is almost certainly a Pharos iGPS-360 with USB cable. So not much use for geocaching unless you want to haul around a laptop with you. Of course you can spend some more you can get the accessories to connect it to other mobile devices with screens - Pocket and Tablet PC's or Smartphones. Buy the base S&T and you can get the GPS for $99 (must be US$). Think I'll stick to my Magellan which works fine with S&T 2005 and of course has it's own screen.

The GPS receiver packaged with the "Streets and Trips 2005 with GPS Locator" is almost certainly a Pharos iGPS-360 with USB cable.  So not much use for geocaching unless you want to haul around a laptop with you.  Of course you can spend some more you can get the accessories to connect it to other mobile devices with screens - Pocket and Tablet PC's or Smartphones.  Buy the base S&T and you can get the GPS for $99 (must be US$).  Think I'll stick to my Magellan which works fine with S&T 2005 and of course has it's own screen.

I agree that the package deal wouldn't be much good for geocaching but if you were interested in navigating with a laptop the Future shop price ($175 Cdn) with S&T 2005 compares favourably with GPS Centrals $185 Cdn (after $15 Cdn rebate) for S&T 2004 and a USB mouse. Note that the Future Shop site shows no rebate available for the package deal but does show the rebate for just the software.

Not sure about the different versions of S&T 2005. There is some information on the MicroSoft Canada website.

Edited by PDOP's

It looks like Ontario was updated some from 04 to S& 05. But I'm not too happy about where they've dropped road names or complete roads in the rest of Canada.

Look at Jasper(AB), Shediac(NB), Lunenburg(NS), Golden(BC) to name a few. These have road names in 04 but 05 they do not.

Roads in other places have be completely dropped, Vermilion is just off the Yellowhead Hwy in Alberta. But now it's roads have all disappeared from S&T05. It also looks like they total dropped Labrador in regards to roads.

Too bad they dropped the parks/green areas shown on the map for cities like Winnipeg, Regina, Saskatoon and Halifax.

Looks like I'll have to keep both version on my system, I wonder if there is anyway to get the updated streets.exe to use the S&T 04 data?

Edited by BootPrint
It looks like Ontario was updated some from 04 to S& 05. But I'm not too happy about where they've dropped road names or complete roads in the rest of Canada.

Look at Jasper(AB), Shediac(NB), Lunenburg(NS), Golden(BC) to name a few. These have road names in 04 but 05 they do not.

Roads in other places have be completely dropped, Vermilion is just off the Yellowhead Hwy in Alberta. But now it's roads have all disappeared from S&T05. It also looks like they total dropped Labrador in regards to roads.

Too bad they dropped the parks/green areas shown on the map for cities like Winnipeg, Regina, Saskatoon and Halifax.

Looks like I'll have to keep both version on my system, I wonder if there is anyway to get the updated streets.exe to use the S&T 04 data?

I see what you mean. Although Ontario and maybe some other provinces have been improved a lot (including ferries like the Tobermory-Manitoulin one) some provinces seem to have taken a step backwards. Sounds like they are using a new data supplier.

They do have a feedback wizard in the 2005 version that lets you report missing places, roads, etc. I would suggest we use it. Maybe if they get enough complaints from Canada things might improve. Could also ask if the data disc from 2003/4 will run from the 2005 version.

Interesting to look at places right on the US border like St Stephen NB (population 4500) and Calais, Maine (population 3500). Very detailed on the US side, sparse on the Canadian side :blink: .

From the product descriptions:

More than 5.4 million miles of routable local, city, state, and highway roads in the United States and Canada—representing the 35,000+ U.S. and 700,000+ Canadian postal codes.

Over 6.7 million miles of routable local, city, state, and highway roads, representing more than 35,000 U.S. ZIP Codes and 700,000 Canadian Postal Codes.

Seems like a major back step, I'm suprised they'd even put this in the description.

Edited by ertyu
The GPS receiver packaged with the "Streets and Trips 2005 with GPS Locator" is almost certainly a Pharos iGPS-360 with USB cable... 

Yup I think you're right :o

Your Streets & Trips 2005 GPS Locator is Compatible with Pharos GPS-360 accessories

More info here.

Edited by PDOP's
This looks interesting:
Use the Re-route from Here tool to take note of your position and automatically recalculate routes to get you on track.

from this webpage about using GPS with Streets&Trips 2005.

I find the use of the word "automatically" a little misleading. You still need to press a button to recalculate the proper routing from your current location, it's not like it keeps track of where you are along a route and re-routes if you go off track.

If you turn on the 'Create gps trail' it uses the draw tools to create the lines, and you can extract them using the st2gpx. But you only can extract the location of each point, no other information is saved list speed of altitude.

I find the use of the word "automatically" a little misleading.  You still need to press a button to recalculate the proper routing from your current location, it's not like it keeps track of where you are along a route and re-routes if you go off track.

I've used 2003, and 2004. I'll likely get 2005 as well.

For truly automatic rerouting, I rely on the Garmin 60C. Make a wrong turn? No worries... it automatically recalculates on the fly. I love this feature... I wish they had built it into S&T. Maybe 2006?