Nordic Cache-fixing Week?

hedberg

We have in the Swedish forum talked about arranging a Swedish Cache Maintenance/Fixing week.

Everybody goes out and checks all their caches (if possible). Replace damaged boxes, new logbooks and so on.

If you find other peoples caches, take a look at them also.

All caches you visit during the week, either your own or other peoples caches, do you write a note on stating the condition and what you did to the cache.

The whole idea is to check the status of all almost 3000 caches in Sweden, many of them have not been found for months, sometimes years. Many of them do not have active owners... So therefor it can be a good idea to arrange a week where we all help eachother to look at the status of all caches nearby.

We think is a good idea, and could work in the whole Nordic region.

Some cachers do have caches in some of the other nordic countries also, so why not?

This week should also include the reviewers (our danish lego toys) so they can help to archive caches that are in bad condition and without an active owner.

So what do you say? The best is if this week can be within a few weeks, before the north part of our countries get to cold, snow and wet.

This is also a great opportunity to make sure that the caches are in good condition before the winter hits us!

I am aware that not all cache owners do read the forums we have, so not all caches will be checked. But the ones that gets checked will have a note saying WHEN they were checked and in WHAT condition they were and IF anything needs to be fixed.

If this is written in a note/log on a cache where the owner didn't know about this project will he/she get informed anyway about the status of the cache.

Not bad idea at all!  But to be honest, I hate archiving caches, and would love to see that geocachers fix damaged caches, and if the orginal owner has abandoned the cache, I would love to help cachers to adopt it.

I agree that we sometimes should encourage people to watch their caches, and that caches that are not functioning, should be seen after, and eventually be archived.

However, in Denmark, a lot of caches are placed beyond immediate reach of the owner. I own a few of these. I travel the country perhaps 2 or 4 times a year, but not every week. If the logs indicate a problem with one of my caches, I disable it, and take care of it the next time I am around. My impression from fellow geocachers in DK is that this practice is considered OK.

I think many of us have searched a cache whose last successful find was one year ago, and perhaps with one non-finder in between. Sometimes we succeed, but more often we don't. The failed caches are among these ones. My strategy with these caches is to search them when I am around for other purposes, perhaps searching nearby caches which I am more confident of. This works very well. I waste little time, and report to the log so others can read that the problem (or my failure) persists. I admit that in a small and densely populated country like DK it is more easy to rely on such a strategy than in the Northern parts of the Nordic countries - and the Baltics - where geocachers may drive 200 km in vain for an unkept cache.

If we should pursue a "cleansing programme" for caches, I suggest that we concentrate on caches which have not been found for the last 6 or 12 months. In this way, we target caches which seem problematic, and we do not bother cache owners whose caches are OK.

The second subject of the thread is the physical standard of caches, that is, wet logbooks, missing lids, etc. It is obvious that serious geocachers report such missings, and that serious cache owners act accordingly within few weeks or months. I think very few cache-owners who do not respond to critical logs, would ever respond to a cache-purge.

All the best,

Dovregubben og Snöflingan (DogS), Denmark.