Bad Ediquite?(sp)

Team FUBAR

I have a cache in my area that is driving me nuts. I kno I'm still realativly new to this sport but this one is killing me. Is it ok to ask the cache owner for exzactly where the cache is. I've spent 5 nights at this cache and I can't find it. I've even asked for help and all I get are stupid riddles and hints that don't help me. All I want to do is find this cache, sign the log and get the hell away form it. So is it bad ediquite to just bluntly admit it's too good for me and ask for the answer?

This is the cache I can't find. It's in ohio. Anyone wanna help GCK7PP

If you pay for the plane ticket, I'll fly out there from Los Angeles and find it for ya! :P

Fake tree branch? Fake pine cone? Seems like some type of micro/nano meant to blend in with the foliage.

Its never bad form to ask the cache hider where the cache is located. Whether they tell you is another matter... :P

I have a cache in my area that is driving me nuts. I kno I'm still realativly new to this sport but this one is killing me. Is it ok to ask the cache owner for exzactly where the cache is. I've spent 5 nights at this cache and I can't find it. I've even asked for help and all I get are stupid riddles and hints that don't help me. All I want to do is find this cache, sign the log and get the hell away form it. So is it bad ediquite to just bluntly admit it's too good for me and ask for the answer?

The etiquette is questionable; that would be up to the 'cache owner whether he wants to provide that or not, but isn't it defeating the whole point of the activity? I think the majority of us have at least one 'cache that is the proverbial "Thorn in our side". Mine is a 1/1 in a small local park, the log for which is full of "Walked up, spent 30 seconds looking, easy find" type entries.

May I suggest putting this one on the back burner, and hunting for some others and coming back to it later? I suspect that if you get the "easy answer" you may not be so happy about it further down the road. Just my $00.02....

Check with your local cache organization...or try to contact some of the cachers who have found it...they may provide you with some hints that will help you find it without giving it away completely.

And yeah...I would also take Tirediron's advice...sometimes it helps to get it off of your mind for a while...then revisit it with a clear and open mind at a later date.

Good luck :P

Edited by SixTen
Check with your local cache organization...or try to contact some of the cachers who have found it...they may provide you with some hints that will help you find it without giving it away completely.

I know that in my area (Wisconsin) it would not be difficult at all to find someone who would not only email you hints, but be enthusiastic to the point of coming along with you the next time you hunt for it! If you decided to do this, you could have any questions answered, and hints given, on the spot... or you could even play a "hot/cold" type of game.

I had one in our area that stumped me. It was in a bunch of rocks with a large snake living amongst them. Frankly, I really wanted the find but didn't want to mess around with that darn snake anymore! I e-mailed someone who had found it recently for a hint. They gave told us a little more clearly what we were looking for and on the 3rd try I finally found it. And yes, we saw that ugly snake again! :P

Have you considered going out during daylight hours? It's a tough hide and going at night isn't going to make it any easier. I agree with tirediron. Get the easy answer and you will never feel right about this find. Better not to find it at all than to think you can't find a cache everyone else finds without help.

I had a cache I couldn't find. It was a 1 difficulty. Went 6 times with no joy. Right after I would go a log would post saying kids found it easily. I'd rush back out and search for 45 minutes and nothing. Finally one day I went over and there it was. Yes it was a 1 difficulty and I'd swear I'd looked there but this time I found it with no difficulty. I learned a lot about how to search for caches with that one and today it is one of my favorites. If someone had pointed me to it I would have thought it was lame for being in such an obvious location.

Geocaching isn't supposed to be a team sport. Finding the hard ones without help is what gives you confidence that you can find them all.

I have a couple of ideas for you:

1. Look for a local cacher who hasn't found the cache yet, email them and go look for it together. You might both log the find without "cheating".

2. Use this and some other nearby caches to introduce a non-caching friend or two to geocaching. Since they aren't sure what their looking for, they may be more likely to find it and would get a thrill out of finding a tough or unique cache.

The second idea worked for me on a multi-cache I had made four hour-long attempts at finding the first stage. I brought my brother-in-law and his brother. After some search, the brother climbed a wall and looked behind a support girter and there the coordinates were. I would have visited that cache at least twenty more times before I found it. They were instantly hooked on geocaching after that tough one.

May I suggest putting this one on the back burner, and hunting for some others and coming back to it later? I suspect that if you get the "easy answer" you may not be so happy about it further down the road. Just my $00.02....

I agree with this advise. When you eventually find it (note my optimism based on your persistance) your satisfaction level will be significantly higher than if it is "given" to you.

There was a cache in my area that I had a really rough time with and just could not find. I'd put a note on the cache page about what a tough time I was having trying to locate it, and the owner would email me and offer to send me some hints. I kept telling him I didn't want hints.

It was great for me that I didn't accept any hints, because when I finally found the cache, it was like WOWZA!!!!!!, and I'll always remember the big thrill I had. I remember even jumping up and down and yelling YES!!! YES!!!! YES!!!! when I finally found it.

It took me three days of searching for the ammo box cache which was a super clever hide. If I had gotten hints, it wouldn't have been nearly as thrilling.

although it's probably not bad manners to ask, it's probably bad form. as a hunter i don't want to know exactly where a thing is unless i find it.

as a hider you can ask me where it is, but here will be my responses:

you flat-out ask for the location: i will suggest you go look for something else.

you ask for hints: i will suggest you look for something else.

you give me a description of your hunt and ask for hints: you'll get confirmation about hwhether or not you're approaching the problem correctly.

you have given much thought and effort to it and are not approaching the problem correctly: you will get some hints.

this is the biggest hint i've asked for recently: it was an urban cache and i had some odd coordinates. i used "phone a friend" to ask "do i need to go down that person's driveway?" turns out i didn't, so i'm glad i asked. i don't like to search peole's yards if the cache isn't there.

don't give in to the temptation to HAVE to know right away. when you finally get it, you'll stand taller.

Thank you all for your repolies. I'm gona keep looking for this one. And your all right I'll feel better when I FINALLY find it. I'm sure I'll learn a lesson in caching cause I know I still pretty new at this one. It's just a thorn in my side and I don't want to get discuraged. I was just getting to the point on this one where it wasn't funb to hunt for it anymore. I was just getting pissed off cause it was dark and cold and wet and I didn't want to spend another night out there looking. I'll find it, eventually. Thanks to all that replied.

Seems like once the owner told you exactly where the cache is, there would be no need for you to go searching for it. Keep at it with hints until you find it. The satisfaction will be much greater and it could be a learning experience for the next one you get stumped on, especially since you are so new to the sport.

For all of you keeping track and I know there's quite a few I've recieved mail from. I't s like I have a personal support group. I went back out today and just took it from square one. I re checked my GPS and just took it one step at a time. An low and behold...

wait.....

wait for it...

not yet.....

isn't the suspence a killer....

this cache was called Tennis The Mennace......

almost......

almost there.........

ok...... Here goes.....

I FOUND IT!!!!!!!

So thank you all that helped. I used only hints and feel really good about finding this one. I'm still hooked on this sport.... Happy Caching