Special Cache Additions

CompuCash

I have been reading many of these forums for a few months now and I have not yet read about anyone having a decoy cache as part of the hide.

I think I have developed a new aspect for the hunt. I placed an altoids box with sand in it - inside lid says "This is not the cache - keep looking". This decoy was placed in a very obvious area someone would expect the cache to be.

I have had good comments on it.

Has anyone else done this? :P

i thought you were supposed to slap people with red herrings... :blink:

but yeah, it sounds like a decent idea... i guess... i mean, i am really demonic with the caches i plant (all one of them), but still... having a fake cache almost sounds... well, more demonic. its a good idea, until you're victimized.

;) I did one like that today. My problem with it was that the red herring cache was where my GPSr read 0.00 feet, while the actual cache was 15 feet away.

well golly you woodn't expect the gps to lead you right to the REAL cache wood you?

woodn't that bee just a little bit too easy?

hang in there and keep caching! :blink:

Yeah, i am good at red herrings myself... it helps to take advantage of the " where would I hide a cache" technique.

Place the decoy in the most likely location near those coords. tee hee... My latest does have a huge red herring... a 30 ft sign with all sorts of electrical boxes and other nooks and crannies. While the actual cache is several feet away.

"I KNOW the GPSr zeros out over there, but it MUST be wrong!" <_<

Two notes.

I did a cache with a decoy...I found the first part of a multi and then went to the second part where I looked forever before looking in the right spot and finding the real cache. After I put the cache back, on my way out, about 30 feet away was a container exactly like part 1...which I thought was odd and so I stopped and opened it to find "This is not the cache, but you're close!" written on the paper inside. I didn't find the decoy until *after* I found the cache...lol.

Second, I'm pretty sure that at some point I posted on here about an "easter egg" cache hunt, where there would be a square area (a few hundred by few hundred feet big). The coordinates would lead you to a special egg in the corner of the square. Inside would be a clue to where the next egg that leads you to the cache is. But with a slight ambiguity that would allow you to accidentally find one of the other eggs. There would be a few ways to write up the insides of the eggs (I'm thinking like 20-40 in all) such that some would even just lead you in a circle and others might lead you to the cache, but in a much longer way...and some would take you straight to it. Much like a Choose Your Own Adventure book (page 3 - if A, go to page 5...if B, go to page 7).

I have been reading many of these forums for a few months now and I have not yet read about anyone having a decoy cache as part of the hide.

Yep, I've done the decoy thing. I had one devilish hillside hide with several decoy piles of straw, one fake container. Lemme tell you, that cache site was ROTO-ROOTED before they found it!

Also thought I was going to get strung up for it, LOL! <_<