Announcing Geowoodstock 3

Thanks so much for the advanced notice. Now I have time to plan and organize my trip. Some people will gripe about anything. Ignore them and focus on the 99% that appreciate the hard work that goes into organizing such a huge event. I look forward to heading south in May to visit and cache.

I don't think anyone here is complaining about advance notice and everyone here appreciates the work that goes into organizing events. You're missing the point entirely.

In the wise words of LL Cool J: "Don't hate the player, hate the game".

I made the suggestion a while ago in the GC.com forum that event caches should get a special little bar at the top of the first page of a search. If there is an event cache in the realm of your search, it could be pushed to that special place and forever be out of the way of local cachers' 50 closest caches. Problem solved AND a bit more attention given to an upcoming local event. This bar could be flagged optional, such that you don't have to see event caches if you don't want.

In the meantime, by having a cache page, news regarding this cache can go out to the watchlist and the event planners can get approx. numbers of party-goers based on the notes left. That's the purpose of an event's cache page prior to the event (centralized communication to and from organizers and attendees). As this is attempting to become a bigger event than any normal event, the increased lead time is necessary.

The cache page in and of itself is not necessarily good for announcing the event to non-locals. But once the word is out in the forums and local group pages (and maybe even the front page of the website by GS or ad purchase...hint, hint), the non-local people, having read about it or heard word of mouth, will have somewhere to get more specific details (that will be ever changing in the next few months as plans solidify) and a watchlist to sign-up for more information. The cache page provides all of that. It is the event's anchor until the event occurs and having it up and running now is useful for anyone interested in attending.

I don't really see the issue with advance posting events. I can see for the coffee shop talk type events, but when you start to talk events for hundreds of people that involve the investment of hundreds or thousands of planning hours and dollars - I do believe those events warrant some kind of special consideration.

I think the complaint about advanced posting centers around seeing it in your most recent search and in the weekly email for a long, long time. Not that the event has been posted. If there were some way of eliminating that kind of annoyance but allowing this type of event to be posted sooner - that would be the best outcome if you ask me.

Fact of the matter is, while there are many other ways to promote an event (which, for the record, NEFGA has been taking advantage of) the best way is to put it up on gc.com.

As for "NEFGA Style", I think you'll find that the previous GeoWoodstocks (from all accounts) were flavored with local influences in the caching and culinary events that took place. Throwing in a dash of NE Florida is in keeping with that, I think.

What ever happened to Peace, Love and Woodstock? <_< A National level event is announced and all this flock of vultures want to do is tear it apart. :unsure:

Geocaching is growing exponentially, and so are the event that go with it. GW1 was conceived by JoGPS :ph34r: as an event to gather the top # cachers in the country. That made it the first National event. About 70 cachers attended. It was such a popular idea tha it was repeated this year and over 250 cachers attended.

Who knows how many will attend #3 next year? Getting a handle on those numbers is vital to planning this type of event, from travel plans, to lodging, feeding and entertaining the attendees. Reserving, renting or purchasing special equipment to handle large numbers should always be done far in advance of actual events.

Getting donations from sponsors is a project that can takes months of discussions (and I mean more than "hey send us some hats and t-shirts so you get free advertising on my body"). Of course those are good to get too.

I plan events and cater them for a living. There is NO such thing as too much advance notice. I already have holiday parties, and spring 2005 weddings booked.

Getting the word out via as many media as possible should be commended, not slammed in this forum thread.

What's the big deal with seeing an event on your closest caches page for a while-especially if you are a member of the local hosting organization? If there are issues with the cache page being approved the way it is written they should be addressed privately with the local approver-and I KNOW some of the disparagers know how to contact them.

I put this event in my personal calendar the day it was announced in the forums. Now that there is an official cache page I can watch that too.

Finally-I have found a few guard rail and lamppost micro hides in the home states of a few of the negative posters, so don't crow too much. We all have plenty of great hides out there and plenty of those we aren't as proud of. That issue has nothing to do with this thread's topic so don't sling that scat here. It's irrelvant. :huh:

PS I do agree that the Jeep TB needs to be released.

Edited by wimseyguy

I agree with those that do not believe that the page should have been posted so far in advance. I would personally find it irritating if I was a local.

Also, please free the Jeep TB from this prison. The Jeep contests will be over by the time this event is held. Imprisoning the TB in this way keeps others from having a chance at winning the contest.

I have seen the comment that people can find out about geowoodstock by reading the forums. Not all geocachers read the forums, This is like saying we do not need to post events because anyone can read about them in the forums, what a bunch of BS

So explain how the cache page is going to help anybody who lives further than 100 miles from the location to find out about the event. Since I typically don't search for caches in Jacksonville, it won't show up on my search pages, or notification list and I'm fairly certain that you won't see it if you do a zipcode search from your home.

Geowoodstock it not an event that is just for locals. I would have attended Goewoodstock 2 but I found out about it only a week before the event.

And how far in advance was that cache page created? I'm sure quite a bit more than a week ahead of time. And you missed it anyway, so obviously the page serves no real purpose to anyone but locals.

I check the event calendar...

If there were a way to list something on the calendar and not have to make a page listing, this would eleviate this problem and we wouldn't have to discuss it.

I want to be clear that I appreciate all the work that goes into planning a large event and I have no issues with announcing it as early as possible.

My concern is the general equality of it all. If a rule/guideline is applied unequally it makes me uncomfortable. I know of others who wanted to post an event page early so that people across the country could refer to the page and make plans. Those people were denied. If they are a little peturbed now because another group got to list early, I can't blame them. I would guess that others in the future could point to the GW3 page and use that as a reason for their event to be listed early and will get upset if denied (and rightfully so if it is a large event).

Anyway, it isn't a huge deal to me, I just don't like the idea of it because it seems unfair to others.

Coming soon to a geocaching website near you: A new, "super-premium" "organizational-level" membership that allows regional geocaching associations (or others) to list their event caches up to 1 year in advance. The event listing will be guaranteed to appear at the top of EVERY cache search, PQ, weekly notification, website-generated e-mail and the website "front page" up to and including the day of the event. Only $2500 USD. <_<

Edited by BassoonPilot

I want to thank the Federation for posting so early. As a busy mother with two ACTIVE teenagers, I usually schedule my calendar 6-8 months in advance. Between Girl Scouts, Track, Volunteer work, Vacations, split households and split vacations, I APPRECIATE the advance notice. Thanks. I have put it on my calendar and scheduled the time off from work. Thanks again.

Without having to claim they are special and above the rules.

Please do not put words in our mouths. <_< We never made the claims you state. The tone of your post is certainly hostile. Given that hostility, your post is slanderous in my opinion. With that said - can we lighten up now? Is it THAT big of a deal? I'd love to make up as long as we don't have to kiss. :unsure: I just re-read the cache page and realize you may have mistaken the wording of the date statement as "flaunting the rules". It was not meant that way at all. I have worded it in a way that sounds less offensive (hopefully). Now read on to see what our motivation was and is:

We had no knowledge of any time limit on the cache page until I tried to post it. I conferred with our admin before editing the post to it's present state. My reasoning for asking for it to be approved this way was because of the many people we spoke to who WOULD have come to GW2 if they had heard about it earlier. I never did and still do not think we were breaking a "rule". I just figured the 6 month limit was in there because you would have to put SOME sort of limit in the code or else people could post events 50 years in the future. Given the nature and magnitude of this event, we felt it warranted posting the cache page as soon as possible. While it may be true that a similar thing might have been accomplished by a forum post, it would not have had the impact of a REAL cache page. How many times has an idea popped up in the forums only to fade away? A cache page shows our determination and commitment to put on the absolute best possible event drawing in the top cachers from all over the world. Many expressed the opinion in other threads about wanting to center their annual vacations around GW3 since they could attend the event and then continue on to some of the many family vacation attractions available in Florida. Another consideration that we spent much discussion on was the date. We deliberately chose Memorial Day weekend because it was a 3 day weekend that would allow some geocachers the chance to attend that otherwise could not. Since that weekend tends to be busy at parks such as Hanna, we feel that early notice would be appreciated by those who would like the opportunity to camp at one of Florida's most beautiful (and popular) beachfront parks. We think we are doing a service by getting the cache page in place as soon as possible. I trust that those who disagree will at least appreciate that our intentions are good.

Jim Coleman - Paintfiction

President - NEFGA

Regarding forum post, you might find this hard to beleive but not all geocachers read the forums. If this event was listed in the event calender in the date it is to be held, any geocachers who are planing a vacation in which they can also do a little caching would have the option of going to this event. On my last job we had to request or vacation time for the year in Nov. with the 90 day "Guide line / Rule" I would not have to option to go to this event.

I am still waiting for a reason why posting event evan a year in advance would create a problem, no one has come up with one.

Amen on all points Johnny!

The only reason you see me post in here is when someone drops me an email saying "you better read this".

BTW...... the aforementioned email didn't come from a NEFGA member - it came from a cacher 500 miles away from me who didn't like the way our intentions were being misrepresented.

Regarding your other comment, my wife is in the same boat. Her vacation requests must be put in WAY ahead of time (>6 months) especially if she wants to take vacation days on a holiday week. It's a popular time to take vacation.

Okay there is one big issue with the cache page ... please note

Here will be a lesson for you out-of-towners on the proper method of making barbeque. It's not drowned in sauce (that's your job), it's not pulled from the bone (again, your job), and it is DEFINITELY not like that vinegar soaked "meat type" product they sell in Raleigh! It's just good ol' REAL barbeque.

Now you boys can dream all you want think'n you know a little sump'n bout BBQ. But believe me when I say, this out-of-towner lives in Kansas City and we treat BBQ and BBQ sauce like it was nectar from the gods. I don't have any problem with y'all claiming to be second best with your little BBQ grill'n chefs ... <_<

I hope people are't taking a quick glance at the page and buying airline tickets for January.  Now wouldn't THAT be funny!

That was a legitimate concern I had. That is why I posted the huge, red blurb at the top of the page. I was going to make it flash or scroll or something equally obnoxious but knew I'd take a thrashing in here for THAT so figured what I posted was a good solution.

Only speaking for myself, I don't know who LaPaglia is? Can you enlighten us?

Well, since New England NOOB is to shy to tell you....

This comes from the 'More about Groundspeak'

Here's a photo of CO Admin and his pink/purple pony, Kimono.

CO Admin, Aka Lapaglia, toting portable oxygen near Navajo Park Cache,

Feb. 01, 2004.

b3199f4b-e1a5-41b1-bbb4-d610ff4779e0.jpg

Edited: For Color!

This post has been edited by sept1c_tank on Jun 19 2004, 12:49 PM

--------------------

============"If it feels good...do it"=============

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

...................... From: Indianapolis, In. Today's Cacher........

Also, we probably won't be attending but I can see why you have done as you have since planning anything on this scale would be a big headache/job (I personally would not want the privilege) & you say that your local approver is heading it...soooo....why all of the flack mostly from the 'OLD TIMERS'"?

2001=6 against, 1 for

2002 or later=5 against (including CO Admin/La Paglia), 16 (including mine) for it.

Really people, maybe everyone should wait awhile to see how this works out.

I do believe the time to say how awful it all is might be after the event?

Maybe the idea of being able to have an event (of this magnitude) listed on the main page in the event area before listing the cache page would be the answer, but then people would not be able to post notes with other ideas or see any updates. Also, there is the issue of being able to get a count of people who post notes saying they plan on attending.

Maybe, instead, the Powers That Be, could just make an exception & not have long term event caches listed in the weekly NEW CACHE notices? Or only list event caches for 2-3 weeks prior to the event. That would settle that little bitty nit-picking complaint. <_<

This just comes from sitting back & reading & thinking before I posted.

Shirley~

Okay there is one big issue with the cache page ...  please note
Here will be a lesson for you out-of-towners on the proper method of making barbeque. It's not drowned in sauce (that's your job), it's not pulled from the bone (again, your job), and it is DEFINITELY not like that vinegar soaked "meat type" product they sell in Raleigh! It's just good ol' REAL barbeque.

Now you boys can dream all you want think'n you know a little sump'n bout BBQ. But believe me when I say, this out-of-towner lives in Kansas City and we treat BBQ and BBQ sauce like it was nectar from the gods. I don't have any problem with y'all claiming to be second best with your little BBQ grill'n chefs ... <_<

Now THIS is a good post!

My reply is:

Oh YEAH?

We would be pleased to offer you or anyone the opportunity to bring their tongs and prove their case! As long as I can be one of the barbeque tasters...... Bring it on!

Just a quick question because I'm confused...

Is GW3 only for the top cachers? I only ask because it was mentioned about it being an event to draw in top cachers.

Thanks in advance.

Geowoodstock was intended to be an event where the top cachers - among others - would be able to attend, as opposed to a local event...

So, no, while the top cachers will be there, it's not just for them. It's for all of us.

Just a quick question because I'm confused...

Is GW3 only for the top cachers? I only ask because it was mentioned about it being an event to draw in top cachers.

Thanks in advance.

Geowoodstock was intended to be an event where the top cachers - among others - would be able to attend, as opposed to a local event...

So, no, while the top cachers will be there, it's not just for them. It's for all of us.

Thanks, Fly. Glad to know that.

I mean no offense to anyone with what I'm about to say. I'm a new cacher... just started a few weeks ago and am really enjoying myself. I'm looking forward to a local event here in CO in September and hope to meet many people.

But as far as the geo woodstock thing, with this entire discussion, I think I'll pass. All of the bickering back and forth has turned me off. Sorry. It just doesn't seem like something I'm interested in. I wonder how many other people are like me.

I think I support the position of not bending rules. I also support the desire and creativity of the promoters to get the word out. I think there could have been a better way, but I don't know what it is.

Anyway. Sorry y'all. I'm still going to go geocaching, but I'm thinking twice if I really want to rub shoulders with this crowd.

-MileHighAko

I mean no offense to anyone with what I'm about to say.  I'm a new cacher... just started a few weeks ago and am really enjoying myself. I'm looking forward to a local event here in CO in September and hope to meet many people.

But as far as the geo woodstock thing, with this entire discussion, I think I'll pass. All of the bickering back and forth has turned me off.  Sorry.  It just doesn't seem like something I'm interested in.  I wonder how many other people are like me.

I think I support the position of not bending rules.  I also support the desire and creativity of the promoters to get the word out.  I think there could have been a better way, but I don't know what it is.

Anyway. Sorry y'all. I'm still going to go geocaching, but I'm thinking twice if I really want to rub shoulders with this crowd.

-MileHighAko

Come on now, our bark is way worse than our bite. Besides, the bickering back and forth is really a covert operation to keep this thread posted at the top of the discussion list for the next 6 months. <_<

I mean no offense to anyone with what I'm about to say.  I'm a new cacher... just started a few weeks ago and am really enjoying myself. I'm looking forward to a local event here in CO in September and hope to meet many people.

But as far as the geo woodstock thing, with this entire discussion, I think I'll pass. All of the bickering back and forth has turned me off.  Sorry.  It just doesn't seem like something I'm interested in.  I wonder how many other people are like me.

I think I support the position of not bending rules.  I also support the desire and creativity of the promoters to get the word out.  I think there could have been a better way, but I don't know what it is.

-MileHighAko

Come on now, our bark is way worse than our bite. Besides, the bickering back and forth is really a covert operation to keep this thread posted at the top of the discussion list for the next 6 months. <_<

Clearpath is correct. Despite our "spirted banter" in the forums I've never met anybody at a geocaching event (including GW2) who wasn't a nice person and somebody that I wouldn't mind hanging out and caching with. There's not a single poster here that I wouldn't deem it a pleasure to meet at GW3.

Come on now, our bark is way worse than our bite.  Besides, the bickering back and forth is really a covert operation to keep this thread posted at the top of the discussion list for the next 6 months.  :unsure:

ROFLMAO! :ph34r:<_<:huh:

Posters like YOU are what keeps me from blowing off the forums altogethor! Thanks for the funny!

Okay there is one big issue with the cache page ... please note

Hey, while we're off on this little tangent, I've a suggestion...

For the one of us who doesn't like BBQ sauce, y'all might want to consider making a teenie tiny batch of just plain chicken.

Clearpath is correct. Despite our "spirted banter" in the forums I've never met anybody at a geocaching event (including GW2) who wasn't a nice person and somebody that I wouldn't mind hanging out and caching with. There's not a single poster here that I wouldn't deem it a pleasure to meet at GW3.

Agreed

Well...... maybe just one! <_<

Just stirring the pot!

Agreed

Just stirring the pot!

It's OK Paint, I like you anyway :unsure:

Agreed

Just stirring the pot!

It's OK Paint, I like you anyway :ph34r:

How did he know? :unsure:

Hey, while we're off on this little tangent, I've a suggestion...

For the one of us who doesn't like BBQ sauce, y'all might want to consider making a teenie tiny batch of just plain chicken.

That's the beauty of NE FL style barbeque - you put your own sauce on the meat! (yes, we will have various styles and flavors of sauce on hand for the tasting - even the mysterious and controversial white (?) barbecue sauce)

Note to Clearpath:

You know..... your cook-off idea is a good one. It'd be great if you really could do it - even if just on a small scale. Interested? I hearby publicly state that I will TRUTHFULLY and PUBLICLY admit your "style" is better if the tasting warrants it. (what am I getting myself into?)

FREE THE JEEP

FREE THE JEEP

FREE THE JEEP

even woodstock had its protest signs.

DANG it!

If I'd known you were gonna go to all that trouble I would've left it there so we could have some fun with this! Bad timing (the story of my life in a nutshell - Heck! I was even BORN in the wrong year!) - I took it off a couple of hours ago but I could put it back!? Is it too late?

FREE THE JEEP

FREE THE JEEP

FREE THE JEEP

even woodstock had its protest signs.

DANG it!

If I'd known you were gonna go to all that trouble I would've left it there so we could have some fun with this! Bad timing (the story of my life in a nutshell - Heck! I was even BORN in the wrong year!) - I took it off a couple of hours ago but I could put it back!? Is it too late?

Mine too.

No problem, I had a friend do the pic. I thought it would add some levity to the thread.

I guess its cus daddy was a protesting hippy in the OLD OLD days.

YOu know, I keep reading posts about people not wanting to come because of the controversy.. GOOD GRIEF!

There's controversy over travel bugs, cache placements, cache types, log wordings, the forums themeselves, and that hasn't stopped you from anything else, so why in the world is it going to stop you from this?

Note to Clearpath:

You know.....  your cook-off idea is a good one. It'd be great if you really could do it - even if just on a small scale. Interested? I hearby publicly state that I will TRUTHFULLY and PUBLICLY admit your "style" is better if the tasting warrants it.  (what am I getting myself into?)

You all definitely got my attention. I now need to put together a small Kansas City contingency and we would be glad to come on down there and participate in a good ol' fashion BBQ Cookoff. :unsure: I really have no doubt that you Florida boys (and girls) know how to grill chicken. However, in the spirit of Al Gore, I think its safe to say we (KC) invented BBQ (or was that the internet). <_< Let me do some work on my end and I'll see what we can do ... I know one thing, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

I rarely post, but here's my .02:

The organizers (NEFGA) of GWIII are well-intentioned, hard-core cachers, and nice folks. They stepped-up to create this event for all to enjoy and willingly exposed themselves to the accompanying criticism. I'm not a NEFGA lackey, and I'll vouch that they work dadgum hard to make their events welcoming and successful. Picking a think apart does not equal constructive criticism. Details aside, I hope we can all push past the pettiness and try to have a fun, memorable event. I'm sure we will.

Ok, i didnt read all the previous posts here so this may have been brought up allready. I can understand the intention to get the word out early, but i dont see how a cache listing helps much. The only people that will run across the listing are the ones living nearby that see it everytime they bring up their nearest caches. Of course there will be people that are planning trips out towards Jacksonville that may see the page too. Aside from that, and i might be missing something, i just dont see anyone else ever finding the cache listing...

Theres no doubt that this will be one great Event and i applaud all the hard work that is allready going on. But it does seem that there should be a better way to spread the word!

Theres no doubt that this will be one great Event and i applaud all the hard work that is allready going on. But it does seem that there should be a better way to spread the word!

Have you ever heard of a web page????

You can have your own forum, your own polls, Your own discussions. And all you would have to do is post the address here.

Works great. It was used for a local gettogether. Just a thought.

Edited by Suziq

Okay. So I realize that I just needed a snack and didn't mean to be so up tight. Actually I got a nice e-mail from someone helping me put things in perspective. So I take back what I said and decided to eat a Twinkie instead.

I supose I'll believe that most of you are nice. :lol:

Have you ever heard of a web page????

You can have your own forum, your own polls, Your own discussions. And all you would have to do is post the address here.

Works great. It was used for a local gettogether. Just a thought.

And you still have the problem that only those who read the forums will know about the page.

When asking for prize donations one of the questions you are going to hear is

"How many people are going to attend" I have been on both sides asking for donations and I have been asked for them. If someone asking for a donation were to tell me they did not have any idea how many are goint to attend, I would not give them a donation. ALso some companies have a budget for donations for the year, the earlier you contact them the better chance you have for a donation.

this is way it works in the real world

You just cannot plan an event like this in just a few weeks. Those who think you can are living in the twilight zone.

One salution would be to add a calender search for national events. Of course these would have to meet Guidlines for such listings.

And lets keep in mind there is no guideline regarding advance listings of events Go ahead and look, you will not find it-it's not there.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Here's my .02 FWIW:

- Free the jeep.

- Any recommendations for hotels near the park? I want to book mine now before they fill up :lol:

- Looking forward to the BBQ cook off.

- Thanks, in advance, to the event organizers for hosting the event and the advance notice.

Zack

I only peruse the forums sporadically; usually when I'm having a technical problem of some sort, occasionally otherwise when I've got the time.

Glad to see this topic, I wouldn't have known about it otherwise and gives me time to figure out how to plan out my vacation days next year.

Event listings don't bother me if I see them on my "new hides" list, even if they were 12-16 months out. Serves as a reminder for me whenever I pull it up.

Good stuff, looking forward to it.

Some people absolutely amaze me. You guys are complaining because the event is posted more than the recommended 2 months in advance. I know alot of cachers who work for large corporations and have to plan vacation time atleast a year in advance. By NEFGA posting the event so far in advance we can make sure that we have the time off from work, arrange flights/ and or hotel reservations. Most of us with young children usually plan our vacations and weekend trips 6 months to a year in advance so the prior notice for this event is something that I appreciate.

This is why people don't post that often to the forums.....why turn a great event that requires as much time, money and planning as GW3 does into a tiff over minor rules and regulations about how far in advance an event can be posted, it is not only ridiculous but juvenile as well, and as Johnny Vegas pointed out....what the heck does it matter if the event is posted 2 years in advance.

Thank you NEFGA for stepping up to the plate and organizing this event, and BECAUSE of your prior notice I can save big $$$ on my plane ticket and hotel.

Now you boys can dream all you want think'n you know a little sump'n bout BBQ. But believe me when I say, this out-of-towner lives in Kansas City and we treat BBQ and BBQ sauce like it was nectar from the gods. I don't have any problem with y'all claiming to be second best with your little BBQ grill'n chefs ... :o

That's the beauty of NE FL style barbeque - you put your own sauce on the meat! (yes, we will have various styles and flavors of sauce on hand for the tasting - even the mysterious and controversial white (?) barbecue sauce)

Note to Clearpath:

You know..... your cook-off idea is a good one. It'd be great if you really could do it - even if just on a small scale. Interested? I hearby publicly state that I will TRUTHFULLY and PUBLICLY admit your "style" is better if the tasting warrants it. (what am I getting myself into?)

Umm Paint-didn't I see you and Perky182 going back for thirds of the Eastern Carolina style BBQ we served up at the Celebration of Geocaching event last Saturday?

Just for the record though-I'm not bringing the pig cooker to GW3. It's a geocaching event not a BBQ event. :(:P

Besides I'd rater eat than cook at this one. Especially those pies...... :lol:

YAWN!

Is this still drawing flies?

There must be a better way to spend one's time than complaining about an event one doesn't intend to go to anyway.

If you all want it done right, then lobby hard to handle the next one and show everybody how it should be done. Otherwise, stand back and let the people trying hard to make this one work do their "job", warts and all.

(Disclaimer: I am not now, nor have I ever been energetic enough to spend my time setting something like this up. Neither am I a member of any group that has ever done a program like this. I do know enough, however, to appreciate the efforts involved in an enterprise of this magnitude and not stand on the sidelines and hurl crap in their path.) :lol:

Umm Paint-didn't I see you and Perky182 going back for thirds of the Eastern Carolina style BBQ we served up at the Celebration of Geocaching event last Saturday?

uhhhh..... that was someone else, I was getting it for my poor sick mother, it was an optical illusion, I had a flat tire, my alarm clock didn't go off.....

oh ALRIGHT! I give up! Enough with the excuses! YES! I admit it! I'm coming out of the closet. I did eat Carolina barbeque and I LIKED IT! OK? Are you happy now that you have ruined my life? I guess now that this info is out I'll have to resign as Governor.... oops, I mean President of NEFGA. It's a good thing they didn't go with my suggestion of naming our group Northeast Florida Association of Geocachers!

BTW... what was that about a pig cooker?

YAWN!

Is this still drawing flies?

There must be a better way to spend one's time than complaining about an event one doesn't intend to go to anyway.

If you all want it done right, then lobby hard to handle the next one and show everybody how it should be done. Otherwise, stand back and let the people trying hard to make this one work do their "job", warts and all.

(Disclaimer: I am not now, nor have I ever been energetic enough to spend my time setting something like this up. Neither am I a member of any group that has ever done a program like this. I do know enough, however, to appreciate the efforts involved in an enterprise of this magnitude and not stand on the sidelines and hurl crap in their path.) :lol:

Thanks RR!

I think you're missing the point that some of the prior posters are trying to make. If there is a national event that someone WOULD have otherwise wanted to attend, but they are so bothered by the promotional methods thus far that they are thinking of NOT attending, then that is worthy of discussion. Count me among that group. I had a great time at GW2 but at this point I won't be planning to attend GW3.

If you all want it done right, then lobby hard to handle the next one and show everybody how it should be done.  Otherwise, stand back and let the people trying hard to make this one work do their "job", warts and all.

I don't plan on lobbying hard to attract Geo-Woodstock to the area I live and cache in, because it wouldn't appeal to the cache density crowd (of which I am willingly a part of, when the mood strikes me). Rather, some posters in this topic are lobbying hard to make sure that *THIS* event is done "right," based on their opinion of what is "right."

I don't think Geo-Woodstock need be hosted in a particularly cache-rich region. I think the greater purpose of it is to pick one time a year when geocachers can try to plan on meeting with everyone in the community at one big party. In fact, I'd change the name to something like "GC0001 - The Cache of Geocachers"...or something similarly suggestive that this is where you find all of the geocachers. An annual retreat for geocachers from everywhere to meet in person and swap stories, TBs, TB stories, and have a good time. Any caching itches can be scratched by the temporary cache games of the event and things if the region doesn't have enough to satisfy the numbers hunter who came from miles without regard to the fact that they just get to have a good time with others.

In fact, the idea that particularly outspoken people refuse to attend because of some sort of disagreement on how the event is promoted sounds poorly thought out and reactionary. Simply by attending, everyone makes this type of event better regardless of its promotion. The event and the promotions should only be a nucleus for a place to get together with all of the other people you speak out with and to. As long as the promotions don't say "come bathe in the blood of the unclean" (something wierd) or "join us as we bury handguns in a cache under some railroad tracks!" (something anti-thetic to geocaching itself), I don't see why that should dissuade you from having fun. The point is to attend with other cachers whom you rarely if ever meet because of their living on the other coast or whatever. But to each their own.

Personally, as a poor graduate student living in Boston, I'm not sure that I could afford to make it to Jacksonville next year. If money were not a problem, I would attend because I have a feeling that it would be fun, regardless of when a cache page was put up or whatever minor objections to the organizers that have been presented.

EDIT: Good point, Lep, it's not puerile...edits in bold.

Edited by ju66l3r

I would kindly ask those such as Road Rabbit to refrain from telling me to "stand back" and "not hurl crap," and those such as ju66l3r from characterizing my position as "puerile." I hold my opinion sincerely and I am entitled to it. I would far prefer a constructive discussion of how this event ought to be promoted and conducted, with input from all parties interested in seeing a successful event.

EDIT: Since ju66l3r edited the post that prompted mine, I'll edit mine, too! :lol:

I assure you, my opinion is very well thought-out, and is arrived at after much discussion with other geocachers, including some who attended GW2 along with me. If I'm too stupid for others' high standards for thoughtful decision making, I can't do much to fix that.

It would be, in my view, hypocritical of me to attend an event if I disagreed with the way it was organized and presented. I don't think I'd have a good time. It is Memorial Day weekend and I am sure I'll be able to find an alternative geocaching event where I can be sure I'll have a good time, or I'll just go caching with my daughter, where I always have a good time. And I don't think the organizers would want someone in attendance if they spent the day griping about the event rather than having a good time.

Edited by The Leprechauns