A Bug Idea

Suziq

My mother- in- law passed away recently and I was trying to think of a fit memorial for her. She liked to travel but never realy got out much as she would have liked to.

I was wondering if people would think it Morbid or just plain wrong to get a small containor of some kind and send out some of her Ashes. (She was cremated)

Would people have a problem with handling somthing like this.

I was afraid of that. I do have somthing to use as a proxy if I get to many negative feedbacks but I still want to know if anyone out there would be truly offended by the idea.

Personnaly I think its a great memorial and she would have loved it.

Personally I would help out the ashes. I am sorry but how are ashes scary? He said some of the ashes not the entire urn. Get a small plastic tube put in quarter teaspoon of the ashes seal it glue shut. People see more ashes after they smoke a cigarette. And if its the thought that oh well these are the ashes of a dead person, well that works bout as well as ooh but thats a picture of a dead person. Perhaps its just me, I don't fear death its inevitable we are mortal, no matter how much society wishes to not accept it, we all pass on in time. I think sending out her ashes with maybe a small book or page biography of her would be a great way to pass on her memories, and let other people meet her and know what kind of person she was even though they are unable to shake her hand today.

See the link above, because Uncle Elwyn has been going strong for quite a while now without any notable offenses taken (here in the forums anyways). Some people are more than happy to help with the solemn duty of seeing that Elwyn gets everywhere his family thinks he would have wanted to go.

I don't think the matter of whether someone will be offended should be at issue, only whether you think it's what she and her family would wish happen to part of her remains and if you are okay with the possibility that as a TB it might be lost/broken/tampered with as it is passed around in the same circles as McToys and golf balls.

I say do it. I would definitely help on this type of cache. If other people don't like it, no one's forcing them to seek it out.

I would make sure you use a container that's not going to spill or be subject to problems due to moisture. Personally, I think I want to have my ashes dispersed this way. It beats sitting on a mantel any day.

Suziq,

I think your idea is a nice memorial for your mother-in-law. I don't find it gross at all. We all die and disintegrate in one way or another. Doug and I live in the area, and would be very honored to show your loved one some sights.

Another idea: we've found a physical cache dedicated to a deceased loved one. There was a photo and information taped inside the lid of the cache, which was placed in a location that the deceased had visited often in her youth. Or, keeping with the travelbug idea, attach a laminated photo and a "description card" to a TB tag.

One thing to consider: how would you feel if the ashes TB became "lost" and wound up in someone's garbage can? It will happen sooner or later...

--laurak

I thought the idea of Majel Barret sending some of Gene Rodenberry's (the person who created the Star Trek series) ashes into outer space aboard the space shuttle was a very loving tribute. As were all of the other peoples ashes that made the trip (paid for by loving families the world over).

So...if it good enough for others to pay to send someones ashes to places they would never have gone while alive, it is definitly O.K. with me to take some ashes into another state to place into a cache or to even spread a little into the wind of a couple states.

Sounds like a very loving thing to do for a loved one.

If Geocaching is still around by the time John passes on...(or maybe before),,,I am thinking of getting rid of him in this manner. :huh::blink::blink:

Shirley~

There is another bug that did this. It is the ashes of his Father-in-law . The goal was to have the TB travel around and have pictures taken of his travels.

If you really want to do this, then go for it. The cacher can make a decision to pick it up or leave it in the cache for someone else.

I have a degree in Mortuary Science so it does not gross me out. :blink:

Here is the one I mentioned: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=15390

Here is another one which, if you look at the dedication, seems like it is a joke. At least, that's what some people decided when we talked about this bug in the past. It's a shame though because, if this was a joke, some people thought it was real and went out of their way to meet the bug's goal: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=15877

There are sevral places that will take the ashes and use them to make items such as: golfballs, fishing lures,pens, keychains. Have a lure or one of the others made and send it on its way nobody will know and she can get in the traveling. I know a friend who had bullets made so he and his grandfather could still get out for one last duckhunt.Another made several plastic fishing worms with his fathers ashes and usees them once in awhile to keep his memory alive.

HAVE FUN AND KEEP IT CLEAN!!

Terrere