When Is A Newbie No Longer A Newbie?

slabsaver

I was curious, I've scored about 20 finds so far and am interested in possibly placing a cache of my own in the near future. I've found some micros, traditionals and some virtuals, so I have an idea about what placing a cache entails and have been reading the guidelines and researching some potential sites. From reading over some of the forum posts I get the impression there is a bit of a stigma associated with "newbies" placing caches. Generally, about how long do cachers play the game before they are no longer considered "newbies", and how long should I wait before it would be considered "appropriate" to place my own cache?

Everyone is different. It took me 30 finds before I realized that the cache coordinates weren't all that accurate. Before that I complained about the accuracy of posted coords.

It took my friend nearly 50 finds. He wasn't comfortable hiding one 'till after 100 finds.

I have a coworker that began hiding after only two finds. Needless to say, his cache containers were very poor. They also didn't have much for trade items.

Oh, it sounds to me like you're well prepared to hide one.

The broader question is obviously subjective, but I've decided that most of my new will be worn off when I hit 100 (which should be about a month from now). There's a part of me that wants to quit when I hit 99.

But it is a small part of me, and much picked upon by all the other parts of me :ph34r:

Oh, it sounds to me like you're well prepared to hide one.

The broader question is obviously subjective, but I've decided that most of my new will be worn off when I hit 100 (which should be about a month from now). There's a part of me that wants to quit when I hit 99.

But it is a small part of me, and much picked upon by all the other parts of me :unsure:

Its nice to know that there are others who have "parts" that don't get along :ph34r:

If you think you're ready, go for it. There is a stigma attached to people placing poorly thought out caches. Both newbies and 4 year veterans with hundreds of finds do this. There have been many newbies who have placed excellent caches with one or two finds under thier belt.

Edited by briansnat

The point is that you learned how to do it well before doing it. Geocaching, like all sports can be played well or not, depending on your practice and your learning the game.

The thing that new people do is set up a bunch of caches that are either redundant or not very well thought out.

This makes for unhappy cachers or unhappy cache owners. I will be very unhappy if I go to your cache and find that its on private property and the owner is po'd about the cache. And you would be very unhappy if you went out and set up a cache that is just like 30 of the other caches in the town you live in, and no one came to visit yours.

Its nice to know that there are others who have "parts" that don't get along :ph34r:

Woof n lulu, you have 58 finds and 3,232 posts! wow! I think your talking part is dominating your finding part :unsure: .

Opps! Looks like Briansnat's got you beat. 8,958 posts.

Edited by EraSeek
It took my friend nearly 50 finds. He wasn't comfortable hiding one 'till after 100 finds.

I hear you. I'm not sure about my comfort level yet either. Like I said previously, I'm still researching locations, and considering special gifts for the FTF, general trade items, cache themes etc. Since I've touched on the subject, I had considered a small "leatherman" like tool as part of the FTF package, but would that be considered inappropriate being it contains a knife blade (no weapons)?

And thanks to all the quick responses. I turned away from my desk for just a few minutes and got several encouraging responses back before I could get a cup of coffee! I appreciate it.

I am a newbie with an incredibly low 8 finds! BUT, I have already hidden 4 caches! Which I have been told are good hides by others.... I am the type that doesn't really find it incredibly exciting to find these things, rather hiding them is what gets me excited.

Listen, I've been around for quite a while. Some of the best hides I found was placed by a cacher who never had any finds (as I recall). You just need to get the basic idea of caching, be aware of the current guidelines, and then it really comes down to people. Some just put them out anywhere, others think a bit more.

So, be creative! Do something a bit different than anyone else. Either that or take them to a location that will awe them a bit. What to put in a cache? Not my favorite part, because it'll be gone in the first couple of visits anyway. First to find prize is a nice idea, but personally i'd rather see everyones signature items than swag anyway. Sound like you're on the right track already. Just give them one thing that will make them say "oh, that's a bit different", or better yet "wow".

I am a newbie with an incredibly low 8 finds! BUT, I have already hidden 4 caches! Which I have been told are good hides by others.... I am the type that doesn't really find it incredibly exciting to find these things, rather hiding them is what gets me excited.

Listen, I've been around for quite a while. Some of the best hides I found was placed by a cacher who never had any finds (as I recall). You just need to get the basic idea of caching, be aware of the current guidelines, and then it really comes down to people.

I agree with both of you. If someone has a little imagination, they can place great caches with very few finds. I've seem some pretty lame caches hidden by people with hundreds and sometimes thousands of finds and some great caches hidden by people with a few finds. I placed my first cache after only one find and the only thing I've learned since was that I really didn't have to put so much thought into the container, contents and location.

Woof n lulu, you have 58 finds and 3,232 posts! wow! I think your talking part is dominating your finding part :unsure: .

Opps! Looks like Briansnat's got you beat. 8,958 posts.

You Sir are correct! I also live in a state that only has 750 caches for the whole state...10 of which I supply! And it is a very large state :blink:

Edited by woof n lulu
You Sir are correct! I also live in a state that only has 750 caches for the whole state...10 of which I supply! And it is a very large state

The only question is, "Are YOU comfortable with that." Heck with anybody else!

:ph34r: I think the deal is character: if you empty a small plastic ice cream container, throw in a pencil and pad and half a dozen small soldiers and stick it in the corner of the park under a rhubarb leaf...and that makes you happy... on the other hand, if you do a little preparation and buy a better container....you get the picture.

:ph34r: I think the deal is character:  if you empty a small plastic ice cream container, throw in a pencil and pad and half a dozen small soldiers and stick it in the corner of the park under a rhubarb leaf...and that makes you happy...  on the other hand, if you do a little preparation and buy a better container....you get the picture.

I agree with getting a better container. I personally went out and purchased *NEW* freezable/heatable rubbermaid containers for my caches and filled them with *NEW* items from a local "buck-or-two" store. I don't particularly like the caches that are in small cracked margarine containers, but even then, I won't complain as I think the more caches, the better.