Viewing Pocket Quires On Pda

KeithTS

I also have a Zire 71 and it is a great tool for geocaching. I currently use GSAK to create an HTML file then use Plucker to upload it to the PDA. Before I used GSAK, I ran a nice program called gpx2html to create the file. Both programs create a very user friendly file--it's like taking your PC on the trail with you.

Please let me know if you need any help.

GeoCraig

CacheMate is but one of several third party software solutions, and it is not free.

You will need to have one of these software solutions for your Zire 71 (by coincidence, I also use a Zire 71). You can see a list of them on the supported software page and there is plenty of discussion over in the GPS Units and Software forum.

For .prc files, you'll need to install MobiPocket or some other "reader" software that can handle the file. A minority of pocket query users follow this route. The majority of users ask for the pocket query results in GPX format, and work with them using one of the following solution sets:

1. GSAK

2. Spinner/Plucker for the PDA and Watcher for the PC

3. Cachemate

I hope that this is helpful.

I just deleted MobiPocket from my Palm yesterday :blink: . It handles the pocket query data, but does so in what I would consider an aukward and slow manner :blink: . The reason I deleted MobiPocket was that I just finished purchasing Cachemate, which by comparison is exceptionally fast, easy and almost as inexpensive. :blink:

:unsure: My two cents . . . Cachemate costs money, but get real, it's only $7 USD and what's a small little bit of money in support of the author of a really clean little program? :ph34r: Pay 'em a little and it helps justify to their families why they are spending their time keeping the applications updated. I'm as cheap as they come, :ph34r: and given the time and frustration savings that Cachemate provides over MobiPocket, it's a no-brainer, especially in combination with GSAK.

Forget you ever heard the word Mobipocket. It really, really, really stinks. Spinner/Plucker is OK and free, put it's a bit of a pain to use. Shell out the $7 for Cachemate. It's excellent! For the longest time I was Spinning and Plucking, figuring why shell out the money for something, when I can have something similar for free.

But I kept reading about how great Cachemate was, and figured for $7, what the heck. After buying it, I wondered why I waited so long. I couldn't be happier. You can use it as a journal of the day's hunt. There are sections on each cache page to list what you took and left and a space for notes. You can sort cache pages by location, found and not found, cache name, waypoint name and if you want you can pre-decrypt hints, but you won't see them unless you click on them. And it's a cinch to dowload the files.

Edited by briansnat

Cachemate all the way. Worth every one of the 7 dollars I paid for it. I still spin my GPX files to change the waypoints, descriptions, and icons before uploading them to my GPS. But that's it. I bought the Zire 21 and I pretty much only use it for caching. Don't worry so much about dropping it as the higher end units. My PDA has become almost as important as my GPS when I go caching. I wonder what I did before I had it.

I also have a Zire 71, my favourite choice is creating HTML pages in GPXspinner from my GPX files and then export it to Plucker format.

I like it because you can customize the HTML cache pages if you download GPXSpinner, and also capture the images of the original cache pages.