Newbie Newbie Newbie!

Shadowraven

Okay, I'm not going to start leaving caches of my own until 1) I get a GPS and 2) I start finding some from hunts first. I'm going to try a couple local hunts without a GPS just to see if this is something I want to spend the money on. I can already tell I'd be an addict icon_smile.gif So, questions:

- I read somewhere on this site that caches are only to be left in public areas. How do I know if an area is public? Is this only parks for the most part? Like the empty lot across the street from me wouldn't work right?

- Have you ever found a cache just by mapping it on MapQuest? Is this impossible or generally do-able?

Hmm, I had more questions, but now that I'm posting they seem to have left me... I'll post when they come back to me icon_smile.gif

Thanks in advance,

"Shadowraven"

First it's a great idea waiting to get a GPS before hiding your first cache. As to your question about public lands, yes they are mostly parks (local, county, state), also state and national forests, wildlife management areas,

etc...

I have however found caches in empty lots and other areas that are unmarked by "no trespassing" signs, but are obviously privately owned. If you think someone would get in trouble if they were caught there, then don't put a cache there. And definately not where you find "no trespassing" signs.

As to your question about finding caches without a GPS, it can be done. I've found two this way, using the Topozone maps (there is a link on the cache page). It's not the easiest way to do it, but it is possible. There are several Geocachers who have finds numbering in the hundereds and rarely, if ever use a GPS.

Another option would be to check out Geocaching's "sister sport" letterboxing. Its similar to Geocaching, but they use clues and compass to find the "cache". www.letterboxing.org is the major website in the US. Letterboxing is not nearly as popular as Geocaching in the US, but it is quite popular in the UK.

If you're not sure you want to plunk down the moolah yet for a GPSr, you can locate other cachers in your area and e-mail them to see if they would be willing to let you join them on a hunt. Then you can watch a GPSr in action. After that, you'll be hooked! icon_biggrin.gif

Always wear proper caching safety equipment!

60748_1200.jpg

--------------------

posted by Shadowraven

- Have you ever found a cache just by mapping it on MapQuest? Is this impossible or generally do-able?

---------------------

I'm still new at this too, and I don't have a GPS yet. I have found 8 caches so far, only one skunk (no-find). I look for 1/1 caches, mostly in urban parks, where's there not too much ground cover (trees, etc) so I can get good reference points from the statelite image. I print the map from Mapquest (to get me to the right area) and the satelite image from www.lostoutdoors.com (to pinpoint the cache location). I use a compass & the maps/images. (And of course I use the clues.)

Since most geocachers say the GPS only gets you within 10-20 feet, I figure if I can get that close with the sat. image I have a good shot of finding the cache.

(Of course I'm just killing time until I get a GPS and can go after the ones waaayy out in the woods icon_wink.gif .)

"The way of the Wind is a strange, wild way."

[This message was edited by Windrose on September 10, 2002 at 04:05 PM.]

Those maps on Lost Outdoors are VERY cool. I had never seen these before. Given that there are enough visible landmarks, I think it would not be too difficult to find some caches with this. I may try my next one without the GPS just for a challange.

quote:
Originally posted by Windrose:

--------------------

posted by Shadowraven

---------------------

I'm still new at this too, and I don't have a GPS yet. I have found 8 caches so far, only one skunk (no-find). I look for 1/1 caches, mostly in urban parks, where's there not too much ground cover (trees, etc) so I can get good reference points from the statelite image. I print the map from Mapquest (to get me to the right area) and the satelite image from http://www.lostoutdoors.com. I use a compass & the maps. (And of course I use the clues.)

Since most geocachers say the GPS only gets you within 10-20 feet, I figure if I can get that close with the sat. image I have a good shot of finding the cache.

(Of course I'm just killing time until I get a GPS and can go after the ones waaayy out in the woods icon_wink.gif .)

"The way of the Wind is a strange, wild way."

Has anyone had dramas with their compass pointer breaking into 3 lines ? ( Etrex Vista )

Mine seemed to have froze and would not move. The pionter on the compass was broken into 3 paralell lines. I had to use the MAP pointer to find the Cache. It took me to within inches of where it was stashed though. It is probably my fault, but you never know. icon_confused.gif

You folks are finding caches without a GPS???

I'm impressed!

I can barely find them WITH my GPS!

I too would suggest checking eBay for an inexpensive GPS to play with. If you don't like it you can put it back on eBay and probably get most of your money back or if you like it you can buy a fancy new one and sell the old one.

I had a Garmin II+ and finally upgraded to a Vista and I am selling the old one ($100 including the data/lighter cable if anyone is interested).

quote:
Originally posted by Goondong:

Has anyone had dramas with their compass pointer breaking into 3 lines ? ( Etrex Vista )

Mine seemed to have froze and would not move. The pionter on the compass was broken into 3 paralell lines. I had to use the MAP pointer to find the Cache. It took me to within inches of where it was stashed though. It is probably my fault, but you never know. icon_confused.gif

You chaged a setting. The third line has somethign to do with how far off your original path (assuming you were walking exactly as the arrow pointed) and tells you what direction to get back on. Generally I find the arrow always pointing at the cache most usefull.

I supposed if you were navigting a minefield this would work much better!

The bearing arrow always points to your destination, regardless of where you are.

The course arrow always points parallel to the line from your starting point to the destination. Even if you go beyond your destination, it will still point forward. This is just like an ordinary compass.

To still make it possible to come to the destination, the course arrow center part will float away, to show you where you should have been. There is a CDI (Course Deviation Indicator) implemented this way. Ten small dots across the course line shows you roughly how far off you are. The scale is to the upper right of the compass, and shows how much all five dots mean. You can zoom that scale with the ordinary zoom keys.

If you get outside the scale range, the CDI will get gray. Zoom out to show it again, or (perhaps better) return to the proper course.

While navigating on land, the bearing arrow is the natural choice. But on water, following a course may be essential to avoid hitting under-water obstacles.

You change the setting in the options menu on the navigation screen. The map page can be set up in the same way, if you choose set-up from the options menu on the map page, then select the second submenu.

Anders