Amway & Geocaching

It only ever works for those at the top of the pyramid.

Because it doesn't take too many iterations before you've exceeded the number of human beings on the planet. Someone I know got caught up in a pyramid scheme not long ago, and I couldn't believe how much trouble I had explaining the central problem to her.

in this usage, I believe, If you get two people into caching and they each get 2 people and so on and so on. your downline is the total off all those people.

IIRC

That's it.

I introduced several cachers to geocaching and continue to do so. Those cachers in turn introduce other cachers and so on. All those cachers that can be traced back to my efforts are my downline.

Too bad we can't see our downline. B) Some of us probably have pretty big ones by now. I would not mind a small cut of their geocaching action either.

it's this part i didn't get. then i realized WAAAY down the thread that it's not amway's geocaching action you're talking about.

it's a problem of pronoun referent.

It only ever works for those at the top of the pyramid.

Because it doesn't take too many iterations before you've exceeded the number of human beings on the planet. Someone I know got caught up in a pyramid scheme not long ago, and I couldn't believe how much trouble I had explaining the central problem to her.

I calculated it...If every human being on the planet joined the pyramid scheme it would take 11 levels!!

Dave Ulmer is at the tippy top of the pyramid in this game. The man would be an Amway god by now.

My pyramid would be very small at this point. Everyone I talk to about geocaching either shows no interest or look at me sideways like I'm crazy or something. I must suck at explaining geocaching. Even the brochures don't seem to help.

it's a grammar thing. oddly, it can be fatal in those who care.

or those who loose the abilty to spel.

My geocaching downline (since July 2001) is much bigger than my wife's Mary Kay downline (since 1994). I've put a lot less money in my activity and gotten a heck of a lot more out of it. I don't get a pink Cadillac out of the deal, but then, neither has she. :unsure::ph34r:

I think the biggest difference between Geocaching and Scamway is that Geocaching actually works!

Oh, c'mon now. I know quite a few people making money with Amway, especially since they introduced the web-based part. I got into it myself some years back, but just couldn't devote the time to take care of my downline. At the time, I had a hard time taking care of myself (PTSD). Actually, the total number of people in your downline to make "Diamond Direct" is 48, with each doing only 100 PV/BV (?) per month. (me-you 6-4-2)

I'm sure you all wanted to know that. :unsure:

In answer to the original question, I'm very wide, just not deep. :ph34r:

Speaking of building width and depth - we had a Skywarn activation this evening although the really nasty weather ended up in Irion and Tom Green counties and then further east, which is San Angelo's responsibility.

Anyway, in a severe weather outbreak a few months ago where I was acting as net control and things were quiet, one of the forecasters saw a loose travel bug in my backpack - the one I keep the ham radio related stuff in and spare tools and such in case something needs to be fixed or maintained unexpectedly at the Skywarn station at the weather service, and a conversation got going about travel bugs and geocaches.

That planted some seeds, and this evening the same forcaster was on duty. He said that about 2 weeks ago the UTPB student newspaper ran a big article on geocaches and mentioned one that is on the campus (maybe THAT's why this geocache got muggled recently :-)

Since it turned out the dry line was east of our area of responsibility, we talked about astronomy and geocaching and other technical stuff while periodically checking the radar loops and deciding whether to send a spotter to a nearby county or not (ultimately it was a meteorological non-event but we didn't know that for a couple of hours).

Anyway, I had my travel bug inventory with me this evening and took pictures of them sitting on the radio transciever and some other views inside the weather office. Two of them are "speaking toys" - and I showed them the travel bug sheets, and how one of the TB's had just recently been in California, gone to Austin, ended up at an event cache.

I also had some "this is a geocache" sheets in the pack - several micro-cache sized (print 4 to a page and cut em apart) and conventional sized ones without the coordinates, owner, or name filled in and left him one with the appropriate URLs.

Hopefully one of them will surf to geocaching.com and look up the myriad of interesting caches a newbie can go looking for on a Saturday. The proof would be to see a newbie log on any cache in the area :P

If geocaching had been around in the old days, that would have at least a few smiley logs a few hundred miles from home for the gas to a major function, and a few night caches while coming back from the inevitable no-shows.

Gee maybe I need to place some new geocaches "in the middle of nowhere" that are near some prime spotting locations where someone can quickly move in any direction to either intercept and report on or escape from severe weather events :P

Actually, the total number of people in your downline to make "Diamond Direct" is 48, with each doing only 100 PV/BV (?) per month. (me-you 6-4-2)

Uh - I think the math is off...

The equation is 6+(6*4)+(6*4*2) = 6+24+48 = 78 (DD, not Diamond)

Emerald (bare minimum) would be 78 (side volume) + 79*3 = 78 + 237 = 315

Diamond (bare minimum) would be 78 (side volume) + 79*6 = 78 + 552 = 630

Real groups are extremely asymmetrical in both width and depth. There were some advantages a decade ago in being the only real computer geek in a Q-12 Ruby direct's group while they were getting software up and going and learning how to operate a computer for the first time. :P Seeing actual PV/BV figures for various legs, their width and depth, etc. was fascinating to say the least.

In a nutshell - it more resembled a mesquite bush's tap root with a couple of deep forks than the classic 6-4-2.

More fascinating was watching the group structure change over a 6 month period, seeing a good snapshot with every computer cleanup :P The attrition is fairly high if a lot of work isn't being done in the depth, and balancing width and depth is a tightrope act.

It's all about the numbers. I've introduced caching to over 100 people. I've got something like a 30% conversion rate. Several of the maybes are from something like this:

I've decided to find Midnight at the Oasis in Palm Desert, CA on the way back to the hotel from dinner. It was only 500 feet from the Olive Garden. So, I asked the server if she'd seen the camels. She was very helpful in explaining that there are no camels in Palm Springs. I assured her that there were and that we were going to find them in a few minutes. That led to a Cache Conversation. From that point on, I started conversations with locals by saying... "Have you seen the camels?" Three bartenders at an exclusive steak place in Palm Desert actually knew about it but didn't know that there were any nearby.

Then there's the two guys I recruited from AmberCon US in March to find The Northern Edge of Insanity. They were standing by the car after finding an easier cache nearby asking if we ever run into other cachers while caching. I was explaining that it doesn't happen very often when a cacher laden SUV pulls up and two Camo-ed Moosheads hop out. Great Role Play, I'd say.

But, I'm crazy.

I've decided to find Midnight at the Oasis in Palm Desert, CA on the way back to the hotel from dinner.  It was only 500 feet from the Olive Garden.  So, I asked the server if she'd seen the camels.  She was very helpful in explaining that there are no camels in Palm Springs.  I assured her that there were and that we were going to find them in a few minutes.  That led to a Cache Conversation.

Hey, that's exactly where I ate right before I found that cache. Our server just wasn't interested in geocaching though. :blink:

Hey, that's exactly where I ate right before I found that cache. Our server just wasn't interested in geocaching though. :blink:

I had to buy our sales guy's dinner and I didn't even get to choose. I wanted to go to Outback across the street. That was the sales dude's first and only find. I don't think he'll be caching any more since he was fired a couple months later.

It seems like good form to start: "Have you seen the camels?" though.

Now if you signed up as an Amway cacher Distributor, you would receive a starter kit with an eTrex yellow in it, Some rubbermaid containers, logbooks, pens, pencils, and some McAmway toys, and you would be going door to door selling these things.

ROTFL!!!

Guess it couldn't be a Legend or a Venture, and 50 cal ammo cans and camo paint / stencils instead of the Rubbermaid containers :blink:

Wonder what level PV/BV would get a Yellow Jeep TB pin? :huh:

and how many caches one has to personally find to remain in qualification :lol:

Or if it would be like hide 6 per month, find 10, get each of your group to do the same. :blink:

"5th new cache of the day. Just another film container under a park bench to get PV/BV. TNLNSL"

I bet the event caches would be held quarterly, all would be more than 600 miles away and take a whole weekend and cost around $500 plus gas, have endless speeches from the top dogs, and overpriced tapes and books for sale outside the arena, and drag on till 2 AM Friday and 3:30 AM Saturday nights, too :(