What Was The Wierdest Thing You Found In A Cach

Tried to find a previous thread about this issue but failed so I'll tell again:

A feminine leakage plug (unused, someone told he found used one near another cache box).

I guess it was not placed there to absorb moisture because the plastic wrapping wasn't opened.

Tried to find a previous thread about this issue but failed

It was this thread, but its in Finnish and basically it was just one of those many discussions about what kind of stuff is suitable to leave in a cache.

Myself, I really haven't found anything really weird in a cache. :ph34r: But one of the weirdest things I've heard someone finding was a ball portion of a titanium hip implant, which was later made into a Travel Bug.

Q: What smell worse than death?

A: A dead skunk, on an 85* day.

It wasn't in the cache, but it was less than 20 feet away. Yowza! Logged that puppy in a furry hurry!

Try a dead 400-pound pig on a 105° day at this cache...

Yecch. <_<

I think the guy beating up the refigerator was a bit strange too, and all dem bones!

For a time, there was a cacher who would put a live hamster in their caches. They expected it would be FTF'd quickly, I guess. Might've been the Cheesheads, but I could be wrong. I tried doing a search for the word 'hamster' on the forums, but it only brought up recent logs, within the last month, and I remember a thread or two about this quite awhile back.

I once found some sphincterine.

Wow! That gets my vote. Glad you explained, though -- I was trying to put it together in my head with "nectarine" or "tangerine" and it just wasn't coming out well at all.

I found a soggy cigarette, with a note in the log saying "Sorry, this was all we had." Which was so incredibly lame that I had a good laugh about it. That was the same cache that had the sterile eye bandage in it. A laff riot for the kiddies, that one.

I found a copy of Silence of the Lambs way, way back in a creepy woodsy cache.

But my favorite was a large, live ant that came flying out of a screw-top mayonnaise jar. Per the logs, nobody had been there for over twelve days so, unless somebody made an unlogged stop, that was one unhappy bug.

Its a specially scented wipe meant to keep your nether region fresh and sweet smelling. :lol:

LOL, I only knew what this stuff was because it was a freebie offer online about 2 years ago. You filled out the form and got a free 2 oz sample bottle or something. All of us were cracking up laughing at the website because it's just such an odd concept for a product. After reading their site, it actually made a lot of sense.

For a time, there was a cacher who would put a live hamster in their caches.

Doesn't everyone? :lol:

OK, I found it; It's The Leprechauns, and though I've found some early references to it being a joke, it's clear that if it was in the beginning, it's not anymore. They actually leave live hamsters as their signature item.

Wow! That gets my vote. Glad you explained, though -- I was trying to put it together in my head with "nectarine" or "tangerine" and it just wasn't coming out well at all.

That a diifcult one to explain in a family-friendly environment.

Doesn't everyone? :mad:

OK, I found it; It's The Leprechauns, and though I've found some early references to it being a joke, it's clear that if it was in the beginning, it's not anymore. They actually leave live hamsters as their signature item.

this person is not leaving live or dead hamsters in caches. it is a joke. this person is very cool and a nice guy, who would never do anything like that. if anyone really believes this, i have some ocean front property in kansas to sell. :D

Edited by uperdooper

But my favorite was a large, live ant that came flying out of a screw-top mayonnaise jar. Per the logs, nobody had been there for over twelve days so, unless somebody made an unlogged stop, that was one unhappy bug.

That gives new meaning to a Travel Bug, doesn't it? :D

Doesn't everyone? :)

this person is not leaving live or dead hamsters in caches. it is a joke. this person is very cool and a nice guy, who would never do anything like that. if anyone really believes this, i have some ocean front property in kansas to sell. :lol:

Thanks, uperdooper, for the helpful clarification. The Leprechauns no longer leave live or dead hamsters in caches. Since the earliest days of hamstercaching, the whole concept has been fraught with problems. See this photo from early pre-launch testing:

57636_1500.jpg

Container size is obviously an issue, as shown here. With the proliferation of microcaches and "mini" caches, we've taken to leaving mice in the caches instead of hamsters. So, it is true that we are no longer leaving live or dead hamsters in caches.

For larger-sized caches, such as ammo boxes and full-size Rubbermaid type containers, hamsters are still a viable signature item. The remaining constraints are air supply, food supply, water supply, freezing temperatures, protection from predators, and the foul smells/general unpleasantness that greet the next finder if the foregoing constraints operate to the hamster's detriment.

To manage these risks, our lab experiments concluded that flash-freezing the hamsters will usually do the trick, provided that the hamster is placed in a cache that is relatively new or otherwise receives high traffic because it's near a Wal-Mart rather than a mountaintop. Viability rates are now consistently in the 7 to 10 day range, which I've judged acceptable. Flash-freezing also has worked well for me when caching out of town. I ship a box of signature items by UPS to my destination, thereby avoiding any more unpleasant "interviews" with the TSA folks at the airport.

So, flash frozen = neither alive nor dead, just like uperdooper stated. It's somewhere in between. In closing, just remember this helpful tip in case you're lucky enough to come across one of our sig items:

57636_3200.jpg