Cache density

GoPherStash

Another thread started a question in my mind that I think merits input. Thinking about placing a cache, many geographic areas (including mine) are reaching a saturation point ie there is already a cache in every park around. Sometimes more than 1 in larger parks. My question is what merits a new cache in close proximity to another? For example, I can envision a situation where there is already a single 1/1 cache in a park that it would be legitimate to add another cache that would be quite different - like a tougher multicache or microcache. My question is what are some ideas that make a cache different enough from existing ones that makes hiding another cache worthwhile? Or am I all wrong? Are people so happy having another cache to seek that they don't care if there's a bunch of them in the same park, even if they are all similar?

I can think of a few situations that would allow multiple caches in a park:

1. If the park is large, additional caches may be used to point out unique locations that would not necessarily be found by casual exploration.

2. Often times, a difficult 'puzzle' cache is its own reward. Successfully solving the puzzle is satisfying in its own right. Therefore, it is OK for this type of puzzle to lead to a familiar place.

3. If one cache in the park is a 1/1, and the new cache is much more difficult, you will be serving different types of cachers. Many cachers in areas with a large number of searchable caches will either not search for easy ones (because they prefer a challenge) or will not search for the very difficult ones (either because they don't want a challenge or because of terrain concerns).

[This message was edited by sbell111 on August 13, 2002 at 06:51 AM.]

There are some that will complain that caches are too close. Many threads have been posted about this. I'm one that feels there aren't enough caches, even with over 32,000 available now.

Recently a cache was placed about 300 feet from one of my older ones. I for one am not complaining about it. I figure than it will just bring more people to my cache as some can get a 2 for 1 deal out of it.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

For me, it's being able to find it. Just did 2 in 1 park the other day, and they were totally different experiences. as long as those placing a new cache try to lead people to a different experience thaqt the existing ones don't provide, I'm all for it.

Also, as a side note, Michigan state parks charge $4/day $20/annual pass for entry. People visiting Michigan from other states may appreciate multiple caches in the same park, since they're paying for it anyways.

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish..

I think 2 in 1 park is perfectly fine, as long as they both aren't hid in very similar places. They should each be by a different intersting place in the park. Just putting 2 in the same park for the sake of placing more caches probably isn't a good idea, unless there is something else, you wouldn't see going to just 1 of the caches.

jhwf4

Central Park in Manhattan NYC is a park 1/2 mile by 2 1/2 miles and has over 15 caches of all types. If you call up this cache and then click on Nearby caches you'll see that 10-12 are within a mile of each other. I haven't all of them but a few and it's still very interesting.

I wouldn't worry too much about cache saturation but then again being a New Yawker I'm use to crowds, icon_wink.gif

Alan

Central Park in Manhattan NYC is a park 1/2 mile by 2 1/2 miles and has over 15 caches of all types. If you call up this cache and then click on Nearby caches you'll see that 10-12 are within a mile of each other. I haven't all of them but a few and it's still very interesting.

I wouldn't worry too much about cache saturation but then again being a New Yawker I'm use to crowds, icon_wink.gif

Alan

I picked up two caches the other day, which required about 1.5 mile walk each wawy. After I had done the first I found that for another 1 loop I could have picked up a third cache (couldn't do it because I was picking my wife up at the airport...). Anyway, it was great to be able to pick up two-three at once. The distances were such that they weren't right on top of each other, but close enough to be convenient. icon_cool.gif

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

I picked up two caches the other day, which required about 1.5 mile walk each wawy. After I had done the first I found that for another 1 loop I could have picked up a third cache (couldn't do it because I was picking my wife up at the airport...). Anyway, it was great to be able to pick up two-three at once. The distances were such that they weren't right on top of each other, but close enough to be convenient. icon_cool.gif

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

I think if the park has several trails at each cache is on a different trail then the proximity doesn't matter. Or if one cache is say .03 miles from the trail head and another cache is 1.0 mile from the trail head they will attract different types of geocachers.

I'm less concerned with the density of caches as I am with the "density" of the cache placers... icon_wink.gif

If you wish to place a cache in close proximity to another cache, contact the owner of the first cache and discuss it. Most will give you their blessings. Some may ask you not to. Talking to the other owner is just common courtesy, IMO.

Personally, I like two-fers.

25021_1200.gif

I'm less concerned with the density of caches as I am with the "density" of the cache placers... icon_wink.gif

If you wish to place a cache in close proximity to another cache, contact the owner of the first cache and discuss it. Most will give you their blessings. Some may ask you not to. Talking to the other owner is just common courtesy, IMO.

25021_1200.gif

not that i am trying to be a smart #$% but, why

1. would another cache placer not want a cache near his

2. why would another cache placer not "let" me put one near his?

3. why is it common courtesy to ask first?

please dont misinterpret. i am not trying to be a pain here i just dont understand why this is/ should be an issue and i need some direction here as to why you think this

thanks

danny

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/25021_1200.gif

SR and dboggny. my mother in law rides a broom!

please dont misinterpret. i am not trying to be a pain here i just dont understand why this is/ should be an issue and i need some direction here as to why you think this

thanks

danny

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/25021_1200.gif

SR and dboggny. my mother in law rides a broom!

I did a quick internet search for the number of letterboxes in the Dartmoor National Park in England. There are over 3000 boxes in 365 square miles. That's approximately 10 letterboxes per square mile. You'd think you'd be tripping over them. I'm in favour of more caches in parks especially if each cache has it's own unique characteristic.

quote:
Originally posted by dboggny:

thanks

danny

A few months ago, I placed a micro cache in a local public park. A few days later, a fellow cacher placed another micro about thirty feet away.

As it turns out, he had planned his placement prior to mine being approved and he didn't notice when mine popped up.

We agreed to leave both of them and give cachers a bonus, but I can see how someone could get disjointed if another cache was placed very close to theirs.

I live in an area with an over-abundance of parks of various sizes, so I'm sort of stumped as to why the boundry that people talk about is sort of 'one park.' (Especially around here where parks butt up against each other.)

As for how far apart, put me in the crowd that suggests that the distance matters less than that each cache have some merit to it.