What Is Your Trademark Item?

Team PEZ

I leave Jack in the Box antenna balls - I figured people people must like them since they kept getting stolen off my car antenna. I used to pick up a supply of them whenever I was visiiting the states (no local restaurants up here in Canada :P) but I recently managed to get a case of 100 of them on Ebay so I'm set for a while.

jackhead1.gif

I don't have a signature item :lol:

But the coolest one I have found so far, and there are many cool ones, is this metal hand made figurine of a hiker. I found one in a cache in KY and the onsite log said that this "geo hiker" was the person's signature item. It was Ricky B Cache Man's item. I love it and have it displayed in my home!

NFA Posted: Aug 19 2004, 02:56 PM 

I leave NFA coins and NFA multi-tools, which have a mini-carabiner and a compass and a small multi-tool

Wow! I would be very pleased to run across one of those in a cache. I leave the biner/compasses often, but I collect knives and multi-tools. Neat, neat trademark item!

Moving this to the general forums, where all of the other signature threads are located. I just did a search and found about 12 more threads. I don't want this one to be too lonely and it doesn't apply to travel bugs, so off we go to general topics! Thank you for playing.

First off... I don't really care if I trade anything at a cache or not. It's all about the find for me. If there is a TB that I can move along, that also appeals to me. A good micro is as much fun as a traditional to me.

Now my kids, they like the trading items, but they have expressed some frustation at finding the same trademark items in all the caches we found one day.

When you sign the log aren't you leaving the evidence that you've been there. I guess I just don't understand the need to brand the caches with the same item time after time.

I'm not going to lose any sleep or quit geocaching because people leave trademark items. It's only my opinion. :P

TeamQTH

I guess I just don't understand the need to brand the caches with the same item time after time.

Ah. It sounds like you've only been running into non-cool signature items. Some of the homemade stuff is just plain neat swag and trades like anything else.

Here's what I leave:

SigItem.jpg

World coins. You can buy them cheaply by the pound on eBay, and I've had a fantastic time sorting through and figuring out what they are and where they came from.

Thereby proving the old adage: geeky hobbies lead dangerously and inevitably to other geeky hobbies.

Sometimes I leave a certificate for one of my hiking staffs.

El Diablo

I am getting ready to place my first couple of caches--feel free to drop by and leave those certs here, yes, yes, good stuff!

Seriously, I would be really pleased if I found one of those in a cache! ~Wow

I currently leave sig cards, which I just recently updated with my updated avatar, and on milestone finds, a bandana with my avatar on it. I'm going to experiment with a couple other items to see what I can transfer my avatar onto and use those for some special caches, maybe even create a TB with one if it works out right.

We have wooden nickels in two sizes, that are painted (one of many colors) and stamped indivually with multiple stamps, one side of which includes our team name. They are each unique, and hand crafted. I may start leaving some tiny crocheted snowflakes, also hand made. We usually have some foreign coins to toss in as well.

Ive got 2 other ideas for a sig item, one which would only go into a few caches, the other would be better for most other caches. Each would involve a lot of work, but would be worth it.

My main signature item is a Cincinnati Chili Recipe refrigerator magnet

bcc51de7-ea0a-4253-b583-da3054ba92fc.jpg

I've left over 600 of them at caches in Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana along with my calling card.

(The only states I've managed to cache in, so far. :blink: )

I have made a Travel Bug of one of these magnets Cincinnati Style Chili which has traveled from Ohio to Alaska and down to Georgia and is now somewhere in Mississippi.

About the only exception to leaving these magnets is when I'm visiting back home in the Cincinnati area, where leaving one of them is like singing to the choir. They already know and appreciate Cincinnati Chili. In that area, I leave another Cincinnati theme refrigerator magnet.

Also, when I'm in the Columbus, OH area, I try to leave a University of Michigan keychain or lapel pin just to get the attention of the OSU fans. B)

Sometimes I leave a certificate for one of my hiking staffs.

El Diablo

I am getting ready to place my first couple of caches--feel free to drop by and leave those certs here, yes, yes, good stuff!

Seriously, I would be really pleased if I found one of those in a cache! ~Wow

El Diablo's hiking sticks are SO nice. I have seen several of them that members of the GGA have. I have tried to find the certs in caches since I know he donated a few to the club, but had no luck. I finally broke down and bought one. Hoping to have it sometime in October :rolleyes:

Totemlake: I hope to be back in Washington soon to hit Cougar Regional Park again I'll make sure to bring a few along.

Weasel - sorry! No plans to travel to far in the near future...

Touchstone - A fwe may end up as FTF prizes, but these are going to be my primary sig/trade item as long as the cache isn't a park and grab. Expect to see them around :lol: .

El Diablo - Let's chat!

I started making wire and wood puzzles for my own entertainment some time ago. :lol: It's also pretty common to find lots of inexpensive wire puzzles at dollar stores, I've also seen them on ebay. My favorite thing to do is to make some nice and more complex wire, string and/or wood brain teaser puzzles which I put in a bag with a "Geocache Exchange Puzzle" serial numbered card with instructions. Just recently, I also started making puzzle cards to include in caches.

So, micro-sized caches get just a card or a card and some small wire puzzles. Regular caches get one of my serialized puzzles and a puzzle card or two. I try to keep a range of puzzles with me so that if I find a really niffty cache, I can also leave a range of interesting puzzles.

Assimilated golf balls. I take used golf balls out of geocaches, clean them, stamp them, put them in a baggie with a special card and number, and use them as signature items. I hate just used golf balls (new ones aren't bad) so I figure this adds some kind of value to them.

There will be a $9 million study next year to determine if my efforts have effected any change.

Assimilated golf balls. I take used golf balls out of geocaches, clean them, stamp them, put them in a baggie with a special card and number, and use them as signature items. I hate just used golf balls (new ones aren't bad) so I figure this adds some kind of value to them.

There will be a $9 million study next year to determine if my efforts have effected any change.

I have yet to find one...hopefully soon though now that I am getting into a good flow (had some things holding me up on caching when I just started...)

:lol:

Kealia, if it's within the next three weeks, I'm out of action. We're subject to the weather when treating the trees.

Not sure when it will be as of now. I have a client in Bellevue that's busy right now.....

Back on topic: Most people around me (CA) love sig items. A few even have photo albums FULL of things they have found. I've seen two now and both are very impressive! One is even used as a TB so people can log the "find" at an event when they look through it....

Guess they'll need a bigger book to fit my new item, eh? :D

I just made my first sig item. It is a refrigerator magnet that I setup in PrintShop using my avatar and the geocaching logo along with some other things. (Yes, I have the OK from GC to use the logo on business cards receiving limited distribution.) I printed this business card size on printable magnet paper and sealed it with a clear matte finish spray sealer. None have been distributed yet, but I hope to start putting them out soon.

I like this because if I change my avatar or want to make any other changes it is simple to do. Also it is not very expensive. Right now I don't have a picture to post here, but when I generate one, I'll edit this post.