What Are Ape Caches?

Thot

APE caches were part of a promotion in conjunction with the release of the remake of the "Planet of the Apes" movie back in mid-2001. There were only a small number of them, scattered throughout the US, and they caused quite a bit of a "FTF Frenzy" well before it became a common thing (due to the fact that they contained movie props for the first finder, and a variety of PotA swag for the rest).

I found one when I was living in Maryland, though for unknown reasons, "Crab Creek" does not appear as an APE cache.

Biggest ammo can I had ever seen up to that point!

Markwell's site has a nice history of Project A.P.E.  Peek in the FAQ topic pinned at the top of this forum and you'll see Jeremy's link to Markwell's fine webpages.

Markwell also owns an APE cache, Mission 12: Blind Canal. It is a HUGE ammo box, but unfortunately it will soon be either archived or replaced with tupperware due to new forest preserve rules banning non-clear containers :P

APE caches were part of a promotion in conjunction with the release of the remake of the "Planet of the Apes" movie back in mid-2001.  There were only a small number of them, scattered throughout the US, and they caused quite a bit of a "FTF Frenzy" well before it became a common thing (due to the fact that they contained movie props for the first finder, and a variety of PotA swag for the rest).

Hmm . . . that's confusing. In the "Cache Listing Requirements/Guidelines" on this page it says:

"Commercial caches attempt to use the Geocaching.com web site cache reporting tool directly or indirectly (intentionally or non-intentionally) to solicit customers through a Geocaching.com listing. These are NOT permitted."

From what you say APE caches are/were specifically for the purpose of soliciting customers for the movie and thus are "NOT permitted." Yet they have their own icon and cache type on gc.com. I'm confused.

APE caches were part of a promotion in conjunction with the release of the remake of the "Planet of the Apes" movie back in mid-2001.  There were only a small number of them, scattered throughout the US, and they caused quite a bit of a "FTF Frenzy" well before it became a common thing (due to the fact that they contained movie props for the first finder, and a variety of PotA swag for the rest).

Hmm . . . that's confusing. In the "Cache Listing Requirements/Guidelines" on this page it says:

"Commercial caches attempt to use the Geocaching.com web site cache reporting tool directly or indirectly (intentionally or non-intentionally) to solicit customers through a Geocaching.com listing. These are NOT permitted."

From what you say APE caches are/were specifically for the purpose of soliciting customers for the movie and thus are "NOT permitted." Yet they have their own icon and cache type on gc.com. I'm confused.

If you read a couple of more sentences you wouldn't be confused:

"Some exceptions can be made. In these rare situations, permission can be given by the Geocaching.com web site. However, permission should be asked first before posting. If you are in doubt, ask first."

Something tells me that 20th Century Fox asked first.

"Some exceptions can be made. In these rare situations, permission can be given by the Geocaching.com web site. However, permission should be asked first before posting. If you are in doubt, ask first."

I read it. It seems to me to make such a grand exception as to set up an entire special cache type with it's own special icon makes a mockery of the rule. If they grant such elaborate accommodations to what is clearly a major commercial promotion like that, then either there’s really no meaningful prohibition at all, or there’s a strong air of capriciousness about this rule. Prior permission doesn't mean anything -- ALL caches require prior approval. This is a rule stating in emphatic terms “These are NOT permitted.”

Did you have a commercial cache denied recently?  If not, why so much anger?

I ask what I believe to be a reasonable question and you reply with the smart mouth put down “If you read a couple of more sentences you wouldn't be confused.”

Then you come back again with “Did you have a commercial cache denied recently? If not, why so much anger?” Are you oblivious to your provocations?

It seems to me to make such a grand exception as to set up an entire special cache type with it's own special icon makes a mockery of the rule. If they grant such elaborate accommodations to what is clearly a major commercial promotion like that, then either there’s really no meaningful prohibition at all, or there’s a strong air of capriciousness about this rule.

It looks kind of strange now. I think at the time there was more of a need for publicity. I don't think it would be done today. Then again, the Jeep 4x4s have a special symbol, so maybe...

Hmm . . . that's confusing.  In the "Cache Listing Requirements/Guidelines" on this page it says:

"Commercial caches attempt to use the Geocaching.com web site cache reporting tool directly or indirectly (intentionally or non-intentionally) to solicit customers through a Geocaching.com listing.  These are NOT permitted."

From what you say APE caches are/were specifically for the purpose of soliciting customers for the movie and thus are "NOT permitted."  Yet they have their own icon and cache type on gc.com.  I'm confused.

Your confusion lies in the REASON behind the no commercial cache rule. Geocaching.com does not want to list commercial caches becuase they do not want people to HAVE to pay or be pressured to buy something while caching. For example, a cache in an amusement park that requires you to pay to access the park would be unfair, especially if not described in the cache description text as requiring money.

APE caches are simply caches that had stuff in them (commercial in nature) but did not require payment to access.

Additionally, AUTHORIZED commercial caches can be a source of income for Groundspeak (the owner of this site) and that helps us all by providing more funds for servers, dedicated personell, etc. APE caches and the Yellow Jeep Travel Bugs are two examples of commercial, but authorized, interest in caching.

There are also some caches hidden in places of commercial nature, but do not require purchase to access. I hear tell of several in very nice garden centers, and there seem to be about a billion attached to lamp posts in Wal-Mart parking lots (or so I hear). These are "OK" because purchase is not required.

And Stunod is not trying to be snippy with you - there have been a number of people who come to the forums and gripe/complain about things, and often their reasons have been weak. We here in the forums are kinda twitchy B) when we see something that looks painfully familiar. It isn't you, trust me.

Well, I hope I have answered your questions, but if not, keep on asking. We'll get you sorted in no time! B)

Good luck, good caching!

Edited by New England n00b
Your confusion lies in the REASON behind the no commercial cache rule.  Geocaching.com does not want to list commercial caches becuase they do not want people to HAVE to pay or be pressured to buy something while caching

That’s certainly a different interpretation of the rule than I concluded when I read the words "[using] the Geocaching.com web site cache reporting tool directly or indirectly to solicit customers . . .”

I read ‘indirectly soliciting customers’ to include advertising – trying to draw customers to for your business or product.

So, by your interpretation one can use caches for advertising purposes so long as there is no payment required. Is that correct? For example, a restaurant owner could place a cache near the front door to his restaurant to acquaint potential customers with his restaurant, or a nurseryman could hide a cache in his nursery to introduce customers to his location and his wares. A business could set up a cache that randomly includes discount coupons and various inducements to visit their establishment. So long as no payment is required all such uses are permitted?

Is there general agreement this it the intended meaning of the prohibition against “Commercial Caches / Caches that Solicit?” -- that the illustrations above are permitted under this rule?

I read it. It seems to me to make such a grand exception as to set up an entire special cache type with it's own special icon makes a mockery of the rule. If they grant such elaborate accommodations to what is clearly a major commercial promotion like that, then either there’s really no meaningful prohibition at all, or there’s a strong air of capriciousness about this rule. Prior permission doesn't mean anything -- ALL caches require prior approval. This is a rule stating in emphatic terms “These are NOT permitted.”

The Project A.P.E. caches may have been placed before this rule came into effect and are grandfathered. You also have to remember that GC.com is a private business and may participate in any commercial promotion they want, regardless of what you, or I, or anyone else says. If you don't like it, go to another site or make your own site.

Edited by cache_us_if_you_can
I ask what I believe to be a reasonable question and you reply with the smart mouth put down

“If you read a couple of more sentences you wouldn't be confused.”

Then you come back again with “Did you have a commercial cache denied recently? If not, why so much anger?”

Are you oblivious to your provocations?

Excuse me, but nowhere in stunod's posts did I see any "smart mouth putdowns" or "provocative" behaviour!

You do not have many posts in the forums, so I would wonder if and when you have had any previous clashes with stunod, just by your reaction, to make the kind of assumptions about his posts that you did.

Well - I'll chime in with a historical perspective and some of the facts.

• Fox Studios wanted to do caching. They approached Groundspeak, and evidently Groundspeak said yes.
  • Fox Studios provided the container, logbook, camera, and swag for the box - including minor props from the movie.
  • There were only 13 APE caches placed.
  • These caches were placed PRIOR to the enforcement of any "commercial cache ban." Information on the commercial cache ban can be found on this post on the Geocaching.com Announcements. It is dated August 3, 2001. The last APE cache was approved for listing August 10, 2001 - but Fox Studios already had prior approval for their caches. The post even specifically mentions APE caches (Caches must be placed with the best interest of the geocachers in mind. I believe that there are such places for caches like Project APE, but companies must contact us first to determine what is appropriate and what is not.)
  • The commercial ban was imposed because people were making virtual caches out of their favorite coffee houses.

I don't think Geocaching.com wants to become a yellow page book for every little store and its coordinates. If someone wants to post something commercial in nature through the Geocaching.com website, doesn't it make sense for Geocaching.com to have final say on if it does? Furthermore, doesn't it make sense for Geocaching.com (which is a business) to be able to enter in to agreements with companies if they so desire?

Long winded analogy, so I'll make it small type for those who don't care...

I was flipping the channels the other day. I have no problem with VH1 doing an interview with Britney Spears (as I have the right to change the channel whenever I want). VH1 has the perfect right to do a Coca-Cola commercial in the middle of their broadcast. Britney Spears was holding a Pepsi Can very prominently during her interview. Product placement. I'm reasonably sure that VH1 didn't agree to her holding that can during the interview, and I'd bet my bottom dollar she was reimbursed for that. Pepsi got free advertising on VH1 without their consent.

You do not have many posts in the forums . . .

I guess it depends on your definition of many. I’ve posted to this forum more than a hundred times, and I've probably read fifty or more for every one I've posted.

Edited by Thot

Neat goal...

The bottom of this page has links to all of the Project APE caches. You could search on nearby caches to see if there are others nearby, possible replacements.

There are actually four caches that are Project APE caches that are still active...

Mission 9: Tunnel of Light

Mission 12: Blind Canal

Mission 7: Crab Creek

Return of the Planet of the Apes (GCBA4)

Most of the other ones don't have caches within a half mile of the original location. :ph34r:

Edited by Markwell