Event Question

Shop99er

Since the Geo Luau is my first event, (I hope), I have a question.

You're not sure if the Luau is your first event? B)

I didn't log my own event but I don't think anyone would have a problem if you did. I was tempted to log my event's post as a find just to make the page look better (I like lines of smileys on my caches) but decided I didn't want it in my list of finds.

Kosher? Not a chance in H**L! I call it CHEATING! If you already know where it is and arranged for it's existance, what's the challenge? You might as well go out and claim your own caches while you're at it too!

BTW, Geocaching in Kitsap County has come a long ways since my beginnings, when there were about five caches in all and probably about that same number of cachers. Now, there are so many cache in this county that I don't even want to try counting them.

I hope all of you in King, Pierce and other surrounding counties come to Kitsap County and partake of all the caches(my guess being 120 or more) we have waiting for you.

Edited by Fledermaus
Not kosher! It's just padding your numbers.

I happen to think claiming any event cache is padding your numbers. It's not very hard to find a bunch of cachers milling around.

HOWEVER, that said, I understand a lot of people do claim events. Event cache logs are more of a record of who attended a meeting at a time. Just because someone called a meeting, they don't get let off the attendance list.

In the end, it's up to the individual who hosts the event. No one can delete your log (well, approvers could, but they won't), so it's up to the owner to decide what they want their find numbers to represent.

In response to Bull Moose's comment about it not being hard to find a group of people milling about...

Well, that's often true of caches as well. Some are *quite* easy to find. Should one discount those as well? Ah ha! That's only a 1-star difficulty rating. It doesn't count!

In my mind the issue of the Event caches is almost moot. I understand that you probably didn't hike through the woods to find it, so it's like a cache-n-dash. (Or whatever it's called -- drive-by caching?) On the other hand, would you ever go hunt for a 1/1 cache in that area if there wasn't an event there?

So what *is* the challenge of some of these caches? Often it seems to be a matter of finding the place to begin with. I see that I have logged 4 event caches. Come Rain, Come Shine...; the WSGA Holiday Get-together; most recently the Win a Moun10Bike Coin! event; and, oh yes, the Snolympia Cache Machine.

Personally I was bothered by the idea of a cache machine. The way it was explained to me you had 50-100 people all in one place at one time looking for a cache, and when it was found everyone signed the log and off they all went to find the next cache.

Well, to me that didn't seem "kosher". Did *I* find the cache?

This was brought home to me by two of my "finds": Noogie and Issacrazy. I "found" these two caches with a group of other geocachers after attending a WSGA meeting. I signed the first one (Noogie) because I figured now that I knew where it was I would never get back to "hunt" for it. Looking back, no I wish I hadn't logged the find in the first place.

But, let's extend the discussion. What about CITO caches. What about Virtual caches, or Locationless caches? Are these "cheats"? I think it's all in the mind of the cacher. What is *your* goal in geocaching?

I find that I enjoy the events because I get to meet other cachers. Sure, we're a quirky bunch, but by and large most of the cachers I've met are really quite nice people!

In response to Bull Moose's comment about it not being hard to find a group of people milling about...

Well, that's often true of caches as well. Some are *quite* easy to find. Should one discount those as well? Ah ha! That's only a 1-star difficulty rating. It doesn't count!

I've never done a 1/1 that was easier than finding an event cache.

Now, if I go to an event cache and the event is in some secret chamber or people are hiding under some parallell sticks, then I'll log it.

But again, it's personal choice. Whatever you want your numbers to represent is fine with me.

Logging a find on your event or any event for that matter is more of a record of attendance, much like signing a guest book. I log finds on my events and don’t think anything of it. I also feel it is a personal choice to sign or not to sign, that is the question.

Some have called it cheating, just to raise your finds count? Come one lets be realistic about his. 1. How many events do you actually host?

2. What about reverse/location less caches? They count as a find, but in fact are not a real find.

3. So does logging a find on your event really make any difference on your stats?

Shop99er, Just do what you think is right for your personal GeoCaching Goals.

Edited by 4chin seeker
Kosher? Not a chance in H**L! I call it CHEATING! If you already know where it is and arranged for it's existance, what's the challenge? You might as well go out and claim your own caches while you're at it too!

You callin' me a cheater? I've logged finds on all my cache machine events, except for Spokane, which I didn't attend.

Finds on events are indeed dubious -- I respect EGH's choice to log them as notes -- but I figure if most folks are logging it as a find, I participated as much (if not more than) most of them, so I'll log it, too.

Padding numbers? Quite frankly I don't care enough to pad numbers. In my local area we have events every month just to visit and get together. It's not a competition just a group of people having a good time talking, eating, and In my case drinking. When I put up a event cache It's pretty much just "my turn". I notice some of you have never put out a event cache, maybe you should put one up then decide for yourself what to do.

Oh my. I had to laugh when I read this most recent note.

How can you "find" something that you've hidden?
I expect that most geocachers are one-time visitors to a cache. Me? I revisit caches quite frequently because my goals are different. You might be surprised at how far a cache can migrate! :unsure: Sometimes a second (or third...) visit to a cache can take longer than the first find because the cache has moved so dramatically -- and I don't mean that the cache owner changed the location.

Bull Moose responded to my earlier note with his experiences. As I say I've only "found" 4 event caches. Heading down to someplace that is unfamiliar can be daunting for some. (Not so much for me.) But finding the recent Win a Moun10Bike Coin! event was harder than I expected. First off finding my way to the site. My maps weren't that good. Second, and this was the kicker, is that there were several large groups of people milling about. Comparing this to the "parallele sticks rule" I just haven't run across a cache hide where there were several piles of parallel sticks near the cache. <_<

Another example was on an early cache hunt last Autumn. (I'm trying to not reveal which cache it was.) My kids and I searched and searched and couldn't find any sign of the cache. I went back by myself later after finally finding my first cache and found it. This was a 1/1 cache, and it was so well hidden that I was amazed that anyone found it. I recall reading someone's log (Wienerdog's?) that said something about a difficult search, but that the Mrs. crawled around on hands and knees when she happened upon the cache. The last time I visited that cache I found it in plain sight. Oh well.

Hmmm...

To find the event, you would have to do the same thing to find the cache. You follow your GPS to the coordinates. That's what I do. I don't use the address or the establishment's name as the clue. I go in, and if I see a gaggle of geeks with GPSr's or PDA's then I figure I'm in the right spot. I count it as a Find. An example of a findable event, WGSA meetings. To top it off, they have a log for attendees to sign. I'm sure that wasn't the original intent, but isn't that how you log a find?

However, if I was to cause the event to happen, and I put out the coordinates to said event, then (to my perception) it becomes like a cache that I hid. I post only the note that I was there.

I think the way an event should be handled, is how you play the game if the event were a cache and you owned it or not. But that's just me.

Edited by TotemLake

I log events, even when I'm the hostess. I have done a few 'reversal' or 'locationless' caches, but they're not my gig, so my '177' isn't padded by too many of those. Once I logged a cache I helped hide, because when I came back to find it -- a good year after the fact, approaching from a far different trail, and working off my friend's very old Garmin -- I couldn't. And I hunted for it as any cacher would. Too many more bumps on my head and I'm going to be the first finder on some of my own plants. It's not about numbers, it's how you "play" the game. But for some it's about numbers. <_<

You callin' me a cheater? I've logged finds on all my cache machine events, except for Spokane, which I didn't attend.

Finds on events are indeed dubious -- I respect EGH's choice to log them as notes -- but I figure if most folks are logging it as a find, I participated as much (if not more than) most of them, so I'll log it, too.

Travis, you deserve more than one log for all the work you do setting up your cache machines. And you are there, not only with the maps that take tons of hours to set up and plan, but the guiding of us lost souls around a strange town, so I think you more than deserve the log.

Okay...who's sorry I brought this up? Hands?

:P I for one am not sorry you brought this up. It's a good question you asked and it's humorous to see how anal some people can be over something so simple. I'll continue to log my own events and I'll encourage others to log theirs. We might be called cheaters but who really cares? It's not cheating for crying out loud, we just attended an event. :D

Ooooh, name calling! Is this the Olympics or what? Rules? Who's Rules? Why does it have to resort to name calling and putting other people down? I don't see eye to eye with a lot of cachers and never hope to but I am glad they are having a good time. They can play however they want it doesn't bother me and I am not counting their caches or events either that is not for me to do. What my job is, is to have Fun! Find caches, go to events, meet other cachers, move TBs, see neat and unusual places, learn some new history, see unusual hiding techniques, and laugh at all you silly people who get upset and angry because someone doesn't agree with how you play the game or play according to your rules. NOW THAT IS FUN!

If a person has a question or an opinion they should be able to voice it without someone attacking them. :D:D:D:P:P

Edit: grammer

Edited by Patudles
An event is a social cache, not logging an ammo can in the back forty. Therefore I log a find at my events. Sure "I" set them up, but I don't plan for all the hijinks, or the drunken entertainment I usually provide. I tell ya, i earn those finds. :(

It's an honor to log a find on one of Slinger's events... yes, hijinks and the drunken entertainment is always first rate.

8508836b-3e79-4365-a986-658c81a3d4dd.jpg

-=-

michelle

Yeah you missed the Endangered Species BBQ at the last event.

OMG! ROTFL. Now I've got to attend one of those.

You've got to travel to redneck country for that sort of thing...

We'll welcome you with open arms, but I warn you, you may never be the same again.

-=-

michelle... living in redneck country, and, at the moment, happily so

You've got to travel to redneck country for that sort of thing...

Just be careful if you do, this is what happened to us on the way to Slinger's event.

I feel for ya.

My jeep tire woulda looked like that if it weren't for the fact 4chin seeker had his window down and heard the psst psst psst of the rotating leak.

As far as I am concerned you are 100% okay logging your own event if you were there. Such a log is not a record of "I found" but of "I attended."

Traditionally, us old timers have logged finds on our own events for the reason that Moun10Bike mentioned. Since most people don't host but one event a year, it's not exactly a major leap in the old find count. Go for it.

Seth!