Editing Tracks

Fenix6372

I just got back from a bike ride from my house to the trails of a local park and back. I was recording the track and found that I jumped the gun when I started, only had a few sat locks, probably 100 feet or so of accuracy, and consequently the track I downloaded into mapsource has 5 or 6 wayward breadcrumbs that put me way off my real track. Is there a way to edit their lat/lon or even just grab the little dot and move them? Here is what I downloaded: e4c9605d-1181-4766-a95f-05ea60984e84.jpg

The reason the track is yellow and on target along the actual track is because on the way back there was good sat lock, but don't be fooled, the red part is what my gps thought at first! I need to edit the start breadcrumbs to just about match the end breadcrumbs. Can anyone help?

Hi,

I've had my breadcrumbs on an eTrex Vista do the same thing.

I have had instances where I have been stationary and, due to the GPSr getting locks from the various satellites it has shown that I have been jumping around a bit (not normally as much as your map suggests was the case here, but a bit all the same).

Did you switch your GPS on just before you started moving, or did it have a good lock before you set off?

What did your GPSr show as the GPS Accuracy?

Luke

First of all, you need the coords for one of those wayward waypoints. Put your cursor over a wayward waypoint and look at the very bottom of MapSource just left of center.

Then...

go to the "Tracks" tab and find the track log in question. Double-click that track log to open the Track Properties window. That will show individual track points. Scroll through the list of track points until you find the point in question. Tip: if traveling N/S then watch latitude - if moving E/W watch longitude.

You can then simply cut/delete the offending waypoints.

a73dc617-6821-400e-bc1c-b0630549c775.jpg

Edited by Neo_Geo

OK. so neo_geo has told you how to get rid of the wrong track points.

To add in the correct ones at the start involves a bit of a bodge, and the time stamps will be a bit squiffy, which means the average speeds will be wrong. However, track will look right and the distance and profile will be correct

Open a second instance of MapSource

From the first instance, copy the whole track log

Paste it into the second instance

Highlight all but the last 20 or so trackpoints and delete them

(Remember, you're working on a copy)

You now have the end of the trip

Invert this: You now have the start (except the time stamps are squiffy)

Highlight these points and copy them

Paste them back into the first instance at the START of the track log

Quit the second instance without saving. Save the first instance.

What MapSource will not let you do is to drag and drop errant trackpoint to where you would like them to have been. Which is probably correct!

BB