Astronomers Please

GawnFishin

I have a Celestron nextar 8i with GPS, and two pairs of binoculars (80mm and 100mm) that I use for casual observing. I also use an Acuter camera for taking pictures, and a friend of mine who is a photographer has been known to pop by with camera equipment.

You can view some of my photos at:

First pictures

Lunar Eclipse, 8 Nov 2003

Miscellaneous

All pictures were actually taken from my back yard or driveway in the south end of Ottawa, near the airport.

It might be fun to have a get-together if the weather is cooperative. I actually had the telescope out on the weekend just past (21/22 Aug) and it was mediocre seeing but the sky was clear and I got to look at some objects that have eluded me for a while:

Uranus

Dumbbell Nebula (can see this from my driveway, but under a dark rural sky it's much nicer)

Triffid Nebula

Eagle Nebula

Edited by geoSquid

What I think I'd like to do is find as many people as possible who are interested in doing this. I had given thought to this being held some time in late spring next year as my equipment situation isn't as I would currently like it to be. So far I'm still without observing equipment of my own, though I'm working towards a new Meade LX90 8" SCT to use as my travel scope. I have worked for Observatories doing public awareness of astronomy and have attened several star parties. Now that I'm getting closer to having my own equipment at last I thought why not see who else is interested in getting something like this organised. Maybe even an annual event, anyway I had thought we could do some type of whole "Geo-Astro weekend" where people could get an understanding of astronomy, satellites, what it takes to get a satellite into orbit and, how stars were used in navigation. I had thought of using Iridium flares as well as a host of other satellites. But at this stage it's just talk, ideas need to be discussed so planning can begin. So I'm trying to get the ball rolling or should I use the phrase let the countdown begin. Anyway ideas for location, activities, and anything that might be useful are welcome. :blink:

I live in Abitibi and have so far been looking at possible sites along the Quebec Ontario border. I live approximately 16km from a fairly small town with very little light pollution, I have an observing site I like which is about 40km from any light and really nice and dark but for anyone in Ottawa this is going to be a nine hour drive, it would be a weekend event but how far are people willing to drive? :D

The President of the London Centre of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada (RASC) is a cacher and maintains 2 caches at the London dark sky site. It's in the Fingal Wildlife Conservation Area, west of St. Thomas, Ontario.

One of the caches is called Mini Me (I think). I forget the other. Search for user, 'Astronomizer'. He may be interested in participating in something.

I play with an 8 inch dob and a pair of 20x80 binocs in my backyard. Might be fun to do a caching/observing event.