New here!

Grizz1

Just wanted to say hello. I just picked up a Garmin GPS V and am looking forward to my first find. This is my first GPS and if I ever figure out how to use this thing icon_rolleyes.gif I think I'll have a blast doing this icon_smile.gif. I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions in the days to come. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks in advance!

You picked a great GPSr.

My advise is to read the manual first. Next, go outside and play with it.

When I got my 3+, I stepped onto my deck and set a waypoint. Next, I wlked around the block, tracking myself on the map page. Finally, I played with the goto feature as I wandered around my neighborhood.

You may want to drive across town and then use the nav feature. Remember to turn off the turn-by-turn directions when you stop driving, or else it will keep trying to lead you back to a road, rather than to the cache.

I also kept the quick reference card with me for my first few outings.

Have fun!

Thanks!

First thing I did was upgrade the firmware from 2.04 to 2.05. I'm not sure what the upgrade does but I figured it could'nt hurt. Then I upgraded the MapSource software ( City Select) from 4.01 to 4.09. Again I'm not sure why but I figured with both that the latest updates would be the best to start with.

I'm now in the process of loading mapsets into the GPS. Man that takes a while! icon_eek.gif Then its play time outside.

Yes welcome! This sport is very addictive. It only took me one day and I was hooked. I am majicman's daughter Mommy#1 you will see us alot, plus many others here in Groundspeak Forums. Nice to see you found us. Hope to hear more from you and hear about some of the caches that you will find. icon_biggrin.gif

Mommy#1

Meet STITCH, GEOSTITCH "there's one in every family".

quote:
Originally posted by Eric O'Connor:

quote:
Originally posted by Mommy#1:

I am majicman's daughter Mommy#1

Here's hoping that this acorn fell _WAY_ the heck away from that tree. icon_biggrin.gif

She can always claim that she MIGHT have been accidently switched as a baby in the horsespittal, that's what I do when I am around HER! icon_biggrin.gif

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

Okay Ya'll bettor qeuit talkin' about mae. I am nothin loke my dem there farter. Just cuz I come from his loins dont mean nuttin. I can bee juost about as gross as he there can be. I learn from them there the best.

At least I don't go out geocaching in sexy nightwear like his does, with bright flashing lights and yelling "I AM NOT A SNAKE NOR A DEER, I AM A GEOCACHER WEARING A DRAG CUOSTOM, BRIGHT LIGHTS AND SIRENS, PLEASE DO NOT SHOOT ME."

I'm new to this so give me a little time to work up some funny things to say. Here I'll give it a try No one can be as funny as my father, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

In my case I am nothing like my father. I go to the middle of nowhere in a field, strip until I'm naked take my bull horn and yell loudly into it:

"I am a stripping Geocacher, please do not mistake me as a entertainer. I am seeking caches to find."

But it really does no good when no one but the animals can hear me. I wonder what goes through their heads.

You could take my father in the middle of a forrest let him go to sleep and in five minutes the forrest would be cleared completely with all that loud snoring he does on the weekends in his recliner chair.

Mommy#1

Grizz1,

There are a few things you need to know about geocaching and geocachers:

Geocachers are a very diverse (and sometimes perverse) people. Old (like me), young, active, not-so-active, intelligent, and not-so-int…. well you know what I mean.

They are friendly and always willing to help you out. The love their new hobby, sport, game…whatever with a passion not equaled anywhere.

They like to tease each other, which brings me to another subject. Your profile doesn’t have anywhere near enough information for us to decide what particular aspect of your life that we (geocachers) are going to tease you about. Ask Markwell what the main thrust of geocaching is during a Midwest winter. It’s harassing the s**t out of other geocachers on the forums. (It’s a form of Geo-bonding). By springtime your skin is so tough even the briars won’t puncture it.

Anyway, WELCOME, and don’t hesitate to ask questions.

Sluggo

9617_300.jpg

I've been convinced for a long time that the flying saucers are real and interplanetary. In other words we are being watched by beings from outer space. -Albert M. Chop, NASA

Well thanks for the information. I have been working on my Bio and I have put some more up there trying not to get to personal. I know I can't be as funny as half of the people in here but sometimes it just comes out that way. It depends on what kind of a mood I'm in. And you have to give me some time I'm still new to this discussion thing here.

Mommy#1

Thanks for the welcome!

Sluggo I'll update my profile so I can be picked on icon_biggrin.gif I don't want to be boring icon_smile.gif

I've takin' the V out with me in the car and this thing is pretty cool! Did the auto routing thing and so far so good. I'm going to search for my first cache on monday. I'll let you all know how it went. If you don't hear from me then I'm still wandering around scratcin' my head wondering why this GPSr won't let me find anything icon_eek.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Mommy#1:

you have to give me some time I'm still new to this discussion thing here.

[foot tapping] [tap] [tap] [tap] [tap] [tap] [tap] [tap] [tap] [tap] [tap] [tap] [tap] [tap] [tap] [tap]

[checks watch]

We're waiting......... icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Grizz1:

Ok I went out today and bagged my first 2 caches!!! I'm pumped icon_smile.gif I did wander a bit but I figured it out. This is alot of fun! icon_biggrin.gif I work nights so I have all day to go hunting icon_eek.gif Who needs sleep anyway its overrated!

Grizz1,

Congratulations on your finds. I have my Magellan 315 GPS on order and will get caching soon too. I am excited just reading about your finds.

NJ_Tonto

(Yes, Kimosabe...)

Another rookie here with a Garmin V as his first GPSr and just wanted to say hi as well...love the V and seems to have features I may never know about - have bagged a few and the only problem is finding time out of a hectic schedule to G/C...reading the manual helped but so did just goofing with it and taking it "to the woods"...HAPPY CACHING icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by jhwf4:

Well welcome y'all to our pastime/hobby/whatever you wanna call it (what is your "official" term now majicman?) You'll be hooked before you know it icon_biggrin.gif

jhwf4

I LOVE your icon!!

P.S. Official term is now RASH!

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

[This message was edited by majicman on July 16, 2002 at 02:39 PM.]