Took Ammo-box, Replaced With Crappy Coffee Can

Zartimus

A Local cache was somewhat plundered recently, but the cache items and logbook were left intact. The nice ammo can that used to be the cache was taken and a replacement container in the form of a crappy bright red coffee can was left by the taker and the cache-items tranferred in.

Not sure if it was a local cacher just wanting a nice ammo-can, or a muggle with similar designs, but crap, the cacher took the time to put a nice ammo can out there and look what sometimes happens. It was far enough in the bush not to be stumbled upon by just anyone.

Ahh well(at least they put everything back, but still..).

Edited by Zartimus
Might be interesting to stamp our cans with a serial #, so we can check any new caches in the area???

:o Sorry about your loss.

Actually It wasn't my cache (I edited my post to reflect that more). There is a serial number on ammo boxes, some ammo lot number or something (IVI - xxxxx) that I only learned about recently from a log on that very cache.

This suggests a non-geocacher to me, because for the most part, a geocacher will probably see a number of ammo boxes as they do caches in their area. If they want to hide a cache, they'll probably do a bit of searching or asking about what containers work best and see that they're inexpensive.

Anyone else wandering upon an ammo box full of stuff is more likely to see it as a real novelty and want to take it home as a treasure, figuring it must be worth something as some sort of army antique-like thing.

I dropped by an army surplus store last weekend. I've been driving past it for years, and never really got a chance to stop before. In some ways it was interesting -- they had tons of old military equipment artifacts, and the back room was showing WWII newsreels on a giant screen. But I was disappointed in the gear they had for sale. And they had a ton of ammo cans, but they wanted $15 for them.

Am I right thinking that's steep?

There are people who cache and collect ammo cans. They are among the parasites who give nothing back at all to the RASH. Not even a bad trade log.

If the lot designation is any indication ("IVI"), perhaps they needed a Canadian ammo can for their collection? Pretty lame thing to do in any case...

I dropped by an army surplus store last weekend. I've been driving past it for years, and never really got a chance to stop before. In some ways it was interesting -- they had tons of old military equipment artifacts, and the back room was showing WWII newsreels on a giant screen. But I was disappointed in the gear they had for sale. And they had a ton of ammo cans, but they wanted $15 for them.

Check out the local gun shows. Usually you can find ammo boxes there for $3-5 each.

Very steep. Cheaperthandirt.com sells 6 .30 cal cans for $19 and the .50 cal for $4.99 each.

$15 is way too high. I have my dad look for ammo cans at yard sales. He has gotten me several .50 cans for $2-3 each. It just takes some time to find them.

We have an ammo can thief in my area. He has taken several ammo cans, destroyed a few other caches, and always signs the log book. Many area cachers have simply quit using ammo cans... which is a shame because they are the best cache containers.

The un-original stash up by Portland was in an ammo can and replaced with a coffee can... twice... its now in a broken plastic box.

Some people just like to ruin other peoples fun

The problem with buying ammo cans via the mail, is SHIPPING......

The cans are cheap but shipping isn't. I recently bought some at a Cabela's retail store. Don't know the price off hand but it was -cheap-....

Shipping is like 5-6 bucks with Cheaperthandirt...up to a hundred pounds, so you can buy an awful lot of ammo boxes before extra shipping charges kick in. If you buy the six pack of /30 cal boxes, they're still less than $5 each including the shipping and if you buy more, they're even cheaper.

You can do like we do in NJ. Chip in and buy an order together.

Edited by briansnat
A similar thing happened to this cache.  Sometime before June 30 someone went up and stole the ammox box and replaced it with a cruddy wooden one.  At least they left the items inside.

Amazing the trouble people will go through for a $3 ammo box B):PB)B);)

$3! Brian, you're a bigger spender than I thought B) We buy ours at the local scrap yard for $2.50... sometimes even as low as $1.75 when thay have a surplus in the yard B)

Maybe they thought they were trading up.... "Took old rusty ammo box, left nice new shiny coffee can." B)

Edited by cache_us_if_you_can

Yea, unless you mean the really big ones (bigger than regular 50cal).

That or they had 1940's dates on them, and were in good condition. For some reason the couple i've seen that old at flea markets and such were 15-20 bucks. I want to buy a couple dollar storage container, and 'they' want to sell a coffee table conversion piece B)

I have a ton of those empty coffee cans sitting in the break room at work. They are free to anyone<grin>. (hey that gives me an idea! I need some ammo boxes!).

I think I pay $8 cdn for the regular sized ammo boxes up here. Doesn't the US have a ton of empty ones coming over from Iraq? B) Would that drive the price down?

$15.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow I got some ammo cans just a couple months ago at a army surplus store for only $4.00 apiece (large or small). What a rip-off!!!!

Then my father in law found a large ammo can at a garage sale for just a $1.00 and it's in great shape.

Edited by IronMaiden
The problem with buying ammo cans via the mail, is SHIPPING......

The cans are cheap but shipping isn't. I recently bought some at a Cabela's retail store. Don't know the price off hand but it was -cheap-....

Shipping is like 5-6 bucks with Cheaperthandirt...up to a hundred pounds, so you can buy an awful lot of ammo boxes before extra shipping charges kick in. If you buy the six pack of /30 cal boxes, they're still less than $5 each including the shipping and if you buy more, they're even cheaper.

You can do like we do in NJ. Chip in and buy an order together.

I just rec'd my shipment a few weeks ago from Cheaper Than Dirt and I am very pleased with the price. It was less than $30 for the 6 ammo cans and shipping. Pretty good deal if you ask me. I'm gonna oder six more this week.

Edited by Sox Fan
Ammo boxes are averagely priced near me (4.99) but I was thinking of using a dollar store bicycle lock to secure it to a tree, thus making it harder to steal. Any thoughts?

It will deter the common thief but may intrigue the thief one step up from that. Bolt-cutters? Blowtorch anyone? I've seen some caches in floodable locations chained/tethered up so it's sometimes useful.

I think the best defence is to hide it really well and hope the cachers put it back the way they found it.

I just lost another cache on the weekend to hooligans.