Lowrance Ifinder?

user13371

After reading some rave reviews here of the Lowrance iFinder, I went looking for them online.

GPSCity has the iFinder "h2o" plus mapping software in a bundle for $270. Dunno if this is the best price online for this package, but it sure seem like a helluva good deal.

http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/38145.8....inderh2opl.html

WAAS capable, pocket-sized, big high-res screen, extenral antenna connector, expandable memory using MMC or SD cards, mapping software for the whole country, etc etc etc...

What's the catch? Why isn't there more buzz for these units, and why don't they have more market penetration in the consumer area?

Maybe it has a patch antanea?

It does have a patch antenna, but also has a connector for an external. I think the external antenna needs to be passive or have its own power supply, as the connector doesn't provide juice for it. Fact checker needed - do I have that right?

I'm not sure I understand the serial port either. I might have this wrong, but it looks like you can only exchange user data by pulling the MMC or SD card and putting it in a card reader. The serial port is for NMEA live tracking only.

I dunno if I'd call that a nifty design feature, or a "gotcha."

This review http://gpsinformation.net/ifinder/ifinderrev.htm ... speaks highly of the unit.

I read the gpsinformation review - it's actually for an older iFinder model introduced a couple years ago. The iFinder H2O is waterproof, has a higher resolution screen (240x180, 16 shades of grey), and a faster processor (dual processors, actually). So sayeth the marketing blurbs.

I don't mind loading maps directly to the card - serial xfer is awfully slow. It might seem a bother for smaller data sets like waypoints and routes, but it seems a reasonable design trade-off.

I was a little concenred about the reviewer's comments on memory and CPU requirements for MapCreate. It might be a bit slower than Magellan's MapSend compiling the maps - which could be a problem for me since my "PC" is really a Mac running VPC.

Still looking for other user reviews of the iFinder H2O and the latest MapCreate software...

Even though it has a patch antenna, its reception is very good because that antenna is a big one. Remember: it's not the type of the antenna but the effective size of the antenna that counts. The iFinder's reception is at least as good as that of the Magellans with a quad antenna.

Even though it has a patch antenna, its reception is very good because that antenna is a big one. Remember: it's not the type of the antenna but the effective size of the antenna that counts. The iFinder's reception is at least as good as that of the Magellans with a quad antenna.

Cool. But have you used the MapCreate software?

True enough.

So the only question is the interface with say, easyGPS.

True enough.

So the only question is the interface with say, easyGPS.

One other BAD feature is that they eat batteries about twice what a 76C does.

At least the older ifinder did....dont know about the newer model.

I had a lowrance airmap100 and loved it for what it did and the way it worked...

One other issue...the battery has to come out so that you can get at the memory card in the ifinder.

One other issue...the battery has to come out so that you can get at the memory card in the ifinder.

That's true of the Magellan Meridians also.

Are there any waterproof GPSRs with expandable memory that don't hide the memory card inside of the gasketed battery compartment?

I just reviewed the ifinder H2O and I see that it is rated for 12 hours on two AA batteries...the old ifinder I couldn't find a battery life advertised.

AS far as the memory card....I'm trying to find where I saw the mem card was under the battery but I may have been confusing it with the meriplate.????

Sorry for any confusion..I'll post when I get the straight skinny.

The iFinder is amazing... Seriously... I don't know how they did it, but they created an awesome GPS. This thing has far and above the best antenna I've ever used! It's got the performance of a quad helix (even better) but uses a patch. I can get solid, reliable acquisition even in the densest (word?) of forests. In fact, I cant even recall ever losing reception.

Besides the antenna, it just feels really nice in the palm, has nice buttons, very user-friendly, yet customizable at the same time. Batteries last way longer than advertised too. I'm getting about 15 hours with full power and rechargable batteries. Speaking of which, you can select between 5 different modes of power saving.

The big thing I was worried about was waypoints for geocaching. It's true you can't directly transfer to the unit all in one shot, but there is a way... If you want it, email me and Ill tell you the procedure.

Anyway, thought I'd share my opinion... I love this gps though, so much I bought 3 of 'em. :blink:

Downloading geocaching waypoints for iFinder 101:

1. Make sure you have: GPSbabel, and Lowrance MapCreate or GDM6.

2. Create a text file in some folder that you'll remember the address too (desktop is always easy). Name it something like "waypoints". You'll only have to do this once.

3. Download the GPX file from geocaching.com with all of the waypoints in it.

4. Open your GPSbabel screen. Next to the "..." icon next to the "input file". Select the GPX file you just downloaded from geocaching.com. Next, for output file, select the text file you made. Where it says "format" below that, select "comma separated values".

5. Hit process.

-Now the waypoints have been converted into a format GDM6 understands.

6. Now open the GDM6 or Lowrance Mapcreate screen. Under "file", select something that says "import waypoint file". Select the text file you created. Your waypoints will be transfered into GDM6 ready to upload.

If you want to download more (you can put up to 1000 in there), just keep downloading, processing and opening the waypoint files in GDM6. When done...

7. Simply go to "File", "Save file as" and save it to your card reader. Sometimes it doesn't transfer directly... if thats the case, save it to your desktop then copy it to your card manually.

That's it! Sounds complicated, but it goes pretty fast after a few tries.

Edited by Tahoe Skier5000
... I love this gps though, so much I bought 3 of 'em.  ;)

Which of the iFinder models do you have? Do you also have the current version of the MapCreate software?

Main reason I'm interested in getting an iFinder is for the higher-resolution screen on the newer high-end models, and the (claimed) faster scrolling, screen updates, etc provided by the "dual processors." If the mapping software is good also (better than Magfellan's MapSend, for comparison), then my Magellan SporTrak will be up for sale on eBay :blink:

Edited by lee_rimar

Ok I am interested. I had not known about the iFinder but it really appears to have what I want most in a GPS. External memory, hi-res screen, and the ability to create your own maps.

I did not think that anybody made this, sounds like its time to move up from my Meri-green. Sounds like the best kept secret in Geocaching. Heck of a lot better then the Explorist series from Magellan. That something from the "what were they thinking" file.

Edited by dan_edwards_1966

1. Make sure you have: GPSbabel, and Lowrance MapCreate

Stuff Cutout

Since GSAK uses GPSBabel as it's engine would it be possible to create a custom export for the iFinder?

1. Make sure you have: GPSbabel, and Lowrance MapCreate

Stuff Cutout

Since GSAK uses GPSBabel as it's engine would it be possible to create a custom export for the iFinder?

Yes, If GPSBabel can do it then you can duplicate this process by setting up a custom export for GPSBabel in GSAK

Edited by ClydeE

Yes, If GPSBabel can do it then you can duplicate this process by setting up a custom export for GPSBabel in GSAK

If my reading of the above is correct (and it seems to jive with GPSBabel's own doc) it looks like the Lowrance mapping thingy can accept the format we cleverly call "CSV" which I'm sure GSAK already has options for, though probably under the names of Delorme Street Atlas or even just plain CSV.

I had not known about the iFinder but it really appears to have what I want most in a GPS. External memory, hi-res screen, and the ability to create your own maps.

It's a very good unit, but I don't think you'll find that it actually has that last item - "ability to create your own maps." This capability did exist for the old Lowrance GM100 using the previous version of MapCreate software together with OziMC and OziExplorer, but the format of the new Lowrance MapCreate has changed. Despite the name, the Lowrance "MapCreate" just lets you define which map areas to download to the GPS unit. It does not let you create real new maps from scratch or use scanned images of maps, etc.

I had not known about the iFinder but it really appears to have what I want most in a GPS.  External memory, hi-res screen, and the ability to create your own maps.

Despite the name, the Lowrance "MapCreate" just lets you define which map areas to download to the GPS unit. It does not let you create real new maps from scratch or use scanned images of maps, etc.

Thats good info to know... What I could not give to be able to take the updates I have have done with the the maps in TopoUSA and export them to my GPS. Maybe I will upgrade to the Treo 650 when it comes out and start using that with a bluetooth GPS and Street Atlas Mobile for routing. and then get a iFinder for its high res screen....

I swear Geocachers need to create a GPS company <_<

If my reading of the above is correct (and it seems to jive with GPSBabel's own doc) it looks like the Lowrance mapping thingy can accept the format we cleverly call "CSV" which I'm sure GSAK already has options for, though probably under the names of Delorme Street Atlas or even just plain CSV.

Excellent. The wonders of GPSBabel and GSAK continue to impress me.

Okay, there are bsome geocaching specific problems with the iFinder.

Though I still think it's a great GPS, I have some negative findings that might make some hard-core cachers stay away from it:

1) Waypoints are created & stored internally with only a lat, lon, time, name, and icon. No comment data.

2) Waypoints can be manipulated while in the unit, or on your PC using Lowrance provided software. And though said Lowrance's software can import/export waypoints in a comma-delimited text format, you can only export waypoints and routes; not trails.

3) Worse, when you export waypoints as text, it only exports the lat/lon position and name - the icon and timestamp are not exported. If you export/re-import, you'd get a generic icon and the time stamp would be undefined.

Though these issues don't bother me (much), I can see how they would be annoying to those cachers who do huge numbers of caches and rely on tools like GSAK and GPSBabel.

Hey after searching forever (long story) I finally bought an IFINDER unit today and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. I have every indication it will be a great buy. At only $125 for a mapping unit with unlimited memory potential (MMC & SD), WAAS, and altitude, it can't be too bad.

I saw Lee say the unit could not download trail data. I downloaded the manual and looked it up. The manual says if you put the unit in ADVANCED mode you can save the trail to an MMC card as a .USR file. Doesn't OziExplorer and other software read USR files in their native format? If not, then I'm certain I saw somewhere how to convert and then import it. Bottom line and having not done it myself yet, I still think it CAN be done.

And I'm not calling Lee a liar or anything because he might be bigger than me. :lol:

EDIT - I found a pretty good site you might be interested in. GPS Nuts I-FINDER

We should start a thread on here for I-Finder/Lowrance users. There doesn't seem to be many out on the web and I think we could provide some positive info on the units. I'd like to know more about MapCreate and the new MapCreate Topo edition, cables, PDA connections, software apps, etc. (Pardon my rambling on as newbies tend to do...)

Edited by Erman_C
...  if you put the unit in ADVANCED mode you can save the trail to an MMC card as a .USR file.  Doesn't OziExplorer and other software read USR files in their native format?  If not, then I'm certain I saw somewhere how to convert and then import it.  Bottom line and having not done it myself yet, I still think it CAN be done.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. Yes, you can download the trail data from the GPS. It just seemed to me that the ability to manipulate the data in the included MapCreate program was pretty limited. You can turn a trail into a really low resolution route, and that's about it. I'lll check out OziExplor and see what it can do - thanks for the pointer!

And I'm not calling Lee a liar or anything because he might be bigger than me.  :D

Ha - probably not :mad:

Yes, someone probably could. If you know anyone interested in doing it in a way that'd be cross platform and get compatibility with GPX/loc and about 4 dozen other formats and willing to contribute the code to GPSBabel, let me know.

I mailed Lowrance about three weeks ago for simulators, developer loaners and such, but the conversation never got off the ground.

Yes, someone probably could. If you know anyone interested in doing it in a way that'd be cross platform and get compatibility with GPX/loc and about 4 dozen other formats and willing to contribute the code to GPSBabel, let me know.

I mailed Lowrance about three weeks ago for simulators, developer loaners and such, but the conversation never got off the ground.

Well my coding skills are rusty and I don't have an iFinder, but if I decide to get one I will get out the WD40 and see what I can do.

Looks like Lowrance's libraries are Windows based so they probably don't fit very well into GPSBabel.

Since they give the protocol definitions, I guess it is mostly a matter of having a unit to test and the time/effort of coding.

If anyone wants to donate/loan an iFinder or equivalent Lowrance for a while then maybe we could hash this thing out.

Hmmm..wonder if Clyde could use the libraries in GSAK???

Kenneth

I guess it is mostly a matter of having a unit to test and the time/effort of coding.

Yes, that's very much a recurring theme in open source projects. Once the combination of motivation, skills, and access to the right equipment collides, things get done. <_<

I certainly don't speak for him, but I'm pretty sure he'd MUCH rather something like that be GPSBabel's problem and not his. (The horror that is the Garmin protocol has surely scared him off of trying to support equipment he doesn't have.)

Clyde and I have talked about the Lowrance market before and there seem to be so few of them that are unsatisfied with the existing approach that it's not something we've gotten in a big fizz about...

In the GPSBabel mailing list, we also had a guy offer to code it if anyone wanted to loan him a unit and there were no takers.

I certainly don't speak for him, but I'm pretty sure he'd MUCH rather something like that be GPSBabel's problem and not his. (The horror that is the Garmin protocol has surely scared him off of trying to support equipment he doesn't have.)

This would be a very accurate appraisal of my thought process <_<