Pocket Queries Future?

bjornkn

Want to save some system resources? Create a text-only version of the gc website. Stop obfuscating the URLs so that powerusers are forced to navigate through the site, wasting time and bandwidth. Allow more than 20 search results, set perhaps by user preference. Switch to LAMP, away from .NET.

Here here!

[Edit] Sorry GrizzlyJohn - I never could get the hang of these new-fangled computery things! I've nothing against .NET per se, and indeed use it myself at work, but it's not something I've ever describe as "sleek" or "resource efficient". Sure it's developer-friendly, but is that really what's needed for the task of dishing up simple cache pages by the million?

Edited by Teasel
Want to save some system resources? Create a text-only version of the gc website. Stop obfuscating the URLs so that powerusers are forced to navigate through the site, wasting time and bandwidth. Allow more than 20 search results, set perhaps by user preference. Switch to LAMP, away from .NET.

Here here!

While I agree with many of the views expressed in that post it was not me who made that statement. The quote is not mine.

The dead giveaway for anybody that knows me is the part where it says, "away from .NET". I would never say that, I really do think it is the best technology going. I don't want to start down the OS and language road in this thread. That is not the point here.

I would like to think I have said many things worth quoting :lol: but I don't want to take credit for things I did not say.

Just a couple of further, purely aesthetic suggestions for the PQs.

As Caching Fever has spread beyond the bounds of the Pacific Coast of the US (I am in The Land of Oz) the fact that the caches are run on Pacific Standard Time creates a little confusion for me.

What I would like to see on the PocketQuery Page is:

- The Date/Time the page was loaded (in PST)

- A New Column for "Next Scheduled Run", so that I know whether my PQs have or have not been run (if the Current Date/Time is greater than the Next Scheduled Run there is a problem!)

- A Message that can be shown when issues are affecting the delivery of PQs, so that we don't end up with 3 discussion threads saying "Did you get your PQ for Monday"....

Also, adding an option for those users out there who run their PQs less regularly than every 7 days, might be to allow them to be scheduled fornightly, or monthly (ie "On the Xth day of the Month").

This would allow users the ability to spread out their PQs (for areas they may not visit as often) and reduce, once again, the load.

And (as I am in the suggesting mood) it could be a good idea for newbies like myself if, when you subscribe as a Premium User a PQ is automatically designed (but not necessarily scheduled) for Xkm/mi from your Home Co-Ordinates. It could prove to be a good option to help people get into PQs without us trying to develop a mesh of interconnecting/overlapping PQs to get what we think we need.

Edited by Lucanos
I could go on and on...

A well stated post. I am in agreement with everything you said. My method wouldn't work for you. While I don't plan far in advance, I do place before leaving the house. That's not possible in your case. The way that I do 100% spur of the moment caching is to pull up a lat/lon search from geocaching.com on my sidekick phone. If I didn't have that, I'd be toast in that situation.

I don't really have anything else to add, really. I just hope that some of the things you suggested are eventually implememted as they would benefit everyone, I think.

--Marky