Niles Virus

jollybgood

I saw the same reports for Illinois. We got it in this area about two years ago I guess out of NYC. For the first month or so the sky was falling, after that, no one seemed to think about it anymore. It is one of those math things. Given the number of skeeter bites that occur every year across the country, you probably have a better chance of dieing from an adverse reaction to tap water.

I guess some people will choose to live thir life in the basement, but not me. I am going for the "building up immunity" strategy. icon_wink.gif

I saw the same reports for Illinois. We got it in this area about two years ago I guess out of NYC. For the first month or so the sky was falling, after that, no one seemed to think about it anymore. It is one of those math things. Given the number of skeeter bites that occur every year across the country, you probably have a better chance of dieing from an adverse reaction to tap water.

I guess some people will choose to live thir life in the basement, but not me. I am going for the "building up immunity" strategy. icon_wink.gif

This was mentioned very breifly in the online chat the other night. In my state, we have very few incidences of birds that were infected, and we just had our first case as far north as I am.

Therefore, I'm not going to let it change my lifestyle yet. We can not get WNV from infected pets or birds, and no one can tell where those birds were when they got infected.

Also, we have ~40 species of mosquitoes in Maine, only a few of those can carry WNV. I think if any of us knew all the facts, we'd realize the chance of infection is small - at this time anyway.

Never date a girl whose father calls her princess - chances are she beleives it.

Here is a link to a news story about the West Nile Virus. It seems to affect the elderly or people with weak immune systems the worst.

Where I live, I'm more concerned about the skeeters packing me off. One got ahold of me onetime and I had to shoot it with my shotgun just to get it to turn loose! icon_wink.gif

KYtrex

-----------------

A "Buckeye" is just a "Hillbilly" that ran out of money on the way to Michigan jpshakehead.gif

Here is a link to a news story about the West Nile Virus. It seems to affect the elderly or people with weak immune systems the worst.

Where I live, I'm more concerned about the skeeters packing me off. One got ahold of me onetime and I had to shoot it with my shotgun just to get it to turn loose! icon_wink.gif

KYtrex

-----------------

A "Buckeye" is just a "Hillbilly" that ran out of money on the way to Michigan jpshakehead.gif

It's been around the NY/NJ metro area for a couple of years now. Figure, what 15-20 million people live here and maybe 15-20 people have been nfected and 5 or 6 died. Pretty good odds. And the odds are even better if you use a repellent before you go out.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

I read something interesting yesterday (but can't seem to find the URL, darnit) about how California is using flocks of chickens as "West Nile Virus" detectors. There are over 200 flocks of the chickens, and they are tested daily. (Poor birds)

So far, none has been detected here yet, so I think that the chances of being infected here are very low.

Does anyone know if mosquito repellant really repels the mosquitos that spread the virus? We use Deep Woods Off and so far it's worked pretty well.

Shannah

quote:

Does anyone know if mosquito repellant really repels the mosquitos that spread the virus? We use Deep Woods Off and so far it's worked pretty well.

The reports keep saying repellant keeps the mosquitoes away, but not sure as they have actually tested to see if it would keep an infected mosquito away. I would assume it does unless WNV had an effect on mosquitoes like rabies does on animals - that would be a scary thought.

I have gone to look for myself. If I should return before I come back, tell me to wait here until I return.

I'm not overly worried. I spray myself with repellant as best I can, and I always try to wear a long sleeve shirt. West Nile isn't going to stop me. Neither is Lyme. I did get eaten by a deer tick a few weeks back. I did the responsible thing, and went to the doctor. He gave me a week of antibiotic, Just In Case. But I still cache.

I'm taking a brief break right now, just because I haven't cleaned my house in over a month! With all hardwood floors in my house, it's gotta be done once a week.

"Wan't" and "differen't" are not words.

The risk is low, but its there, and we GCers wil be far more likely to get it than office shlubs in NY but a few of them have gotten it. Use DEET, use it often, use it well.

I've had Lyme disease, caught while hiking in CT years ago. You do not want this, trust me. I was working 50 feet up in a lighting truss for some show or the other (I'm a theatrical rigger) and my right hand wouldn't let go of the grip it had. I finally had to pry it off, and climb down 1 handed. I was weak for almost 6 months.

DEET is your friend, and Permethrin, your saviour.

Ed

I understand labels. My question has to do with other things.

1. Do you use both at the same time?

2. If you do, do you also spray DEET on your clothes over Permethrin?

3. Do you spray yourself afterwards with Permethrin - in effect using it as a contact insecticide (Permethrin is an insecticide while DEET is not) so to kill any bugs the Permethrin in your cloithes did not kill?

4. Have you tried the "military" strength Permethrin that keeps clothes good for 52 weeks and 52 washings?

5. How often to you re-spray your clothes with Permethrin if you use the consumer variety?

6. What strength DEET do you use?

tks

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

3. Do you spray yourself afterwards with Permethrin - in effect using it as a contact insecticide (Permethrin is an insecticide while DEET is not) so to kill any bugs the Permethrin in your cloithes did not kill?

4. Have you tried the "military" strength Permethrin that keeps clothes good for 52 weeks and 52 washings?

5. How often to you re-spray your clothes with Permethrin if you use the consumer variety?

tks

Alan

1) Yes

2) No

3) NO

4) I wish

5) week or so or every 2 washings

7) depends how bad the skeeters are

icon_wink.gif

To expand a bit Permethrin breaks down when it comes in contact with your skin so spraying yourself really doesn't work. Plus there isn't really the need if you sprayed your clothes well the ticks are dead. If not it takes a while for them to find a comfy spot, get set, and start eating. Plus when their backing out (or when you smear them in vaseline or use a match) is when the regurgitate their virus filled spew into you.

Deet works by creating a "fog" type barrier around your skin essentially masking the Carbon Dioxide, so it doens't work so great on clothes. I wouldn't bother spraying it on my clothes.

"...Not all those who wander are lost..."

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

tks

Alan

1) Yes

2) No

3) NO

4) I wish

5) week or so or every 2 washings

7) depends how bad the skeeters are

icon_wink.gif

To expand a bit Permethrin breaks down when it comes in contact with your skin so spraying yourself really doesn't work. Plus there isn't really the need if you sprayed your clothes well the ticks are dead. If not it takes a while for them to find a comfy spot, get set, and start eating. Plus when their backing out (or when you smear them in vaseline or use a match) is when the regurgitate their virus filled spew into you.

Deet works by creating a "fog" type barrier around your skin essentially masking the Carbon Dioxide, so it doens't work so great on clothes. I wouldn't bother spraying it on my clothes.

"...Not all those who wander are lost..."

I have used the military strength Permethrin at Guard camp, and I spent the entire two weeks tick free, in the woods of Minnesota. Other than the ringing in my ears and those voices in my head, everythings normal (j/k about the voices and the ringing). The can has about a zillion warnings on it, but I drive too fast to worry about cancer. 15T

Think Globally, Act Locally

I live right smack in the area with the most outbreaks. I have even found dead birds. This "virus" has not stopped me from geocaching. Simple prevention is all you need. Deep Woods Off does the trick. (keeps ticks and redbugs off too!) CARPE DIEM! Plank from Monroe LA

Team Dragon stated

quote:
What's a mosquito?

Just come on down to that Houston area and you'll find out very quickly. icon_wink.gif. I do think its put a hamper on some of the GeoCaching here in southeast Texas, of course this HEAT doesnt help either! I havnt seen too much activity in our area so im attributing it to both of these. I tend not to be too concerned but i know others that dont want to take too many chances...

Team Dragon stated

quote:
What's a mosquito?

Just come on down to that Houston area and you'll find out very quickly. icon_wink.gif. I do think its put a hamper on some of the GeoCaching here in southeast Texas, of course this HEAT doesnt help either! I havnt seen too much activity in our area so im attributing it to both of these. I tend not to be too concerned but i know others that dont want to take too many chances...

quote:
West Nile virus is roughly as dangerous to humans as influenza. Occasionally, it kills people (particularly seniors), but most victims recover with no damage.

Other articles have alluded that it's no big deal, but this is the first article I've read to put it so succinctly. I'm healthy - haven't had the flu in a few years, but last time I did it was for <24 hours. I guess I won't worry about this new virus.

Lil Devil lildevil.gif

quote:
Originally posted by mrplug:

Here is a really really http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/epaper/editions/thursday/opinion_d3253168e09150ee0011.html. Shame on the greedy corporations!

Here in Minnesota, the most commonly used pest control measure used by the state is (please forgive my spelling) Bacillius Thurengensis or B.T. It is commercially found in stores as mosquito discs. I believe it is a bacterium that attacks the larvae form of the buggers. It is proposed as a non-toxic form of pest control. Perhaps it will create a "super larvae"? Who knows?!?!

It's a game folks..........

It well known that Skeeters are really attracted to bananas. If you want to reduce the chance of being bit by the mosquitoes, don't eat bananas before going out in the woods. Here is one place where I found it. Look down towadrs the bottom. http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/2490/Animal.html

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hamsters - buy 2 get 10 free!

Draykoh, Yorik, Senyth, Harry, Hermione, Ron, Rubeus, Minerva, Ginny, Jumper, Pounce, Lenny, Squiggy, Micro-Sprite, Midgey and our much loved Boru (RIP)

At your next backyard picnic or even an outing try this:

Place 4-5 pounds of dry ice in a 5 gallon buckt and add a cup or two of water. Place 50 feet from where you are.

mosquitos are attracted to CO2. What better source than dry ice. This really works for us during the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta. We were working the Equestrian events and our Director showed us this trick.

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

"Muga Muchu" (forget yourself, focus).

At your next backyard picnic or even an outing try this:

Place 4-5 pounds of dry ice in a 5 gallon buckt and add a cup or two of water. Place 50 feet from where you are.

mosquitos are attracted to CO2. What better source than dry ice. This really works for us during the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta. We were working the Equestrian events and our Director showed us this trick.

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

"Muga Muchu" (forget yourself, focus).

For the most part, it will only affect those who have a weakened immune system, are elderly or otherwise very unhealthy. If you notice, there really haven't been THAT many deaths related to it. It's just that the media has reported every last one of them that makes it seem a big scare.

Case in point. A few years ago, the St. Louis meningitis outbreak was big news, yet nobody really remembers it now. I'm more worried about sticking my hand down in a rotted out tree stump looking for a cache and pulling out an angry raccoon than I am of the skeeters.

BTW, my dad's undergoing chemotherapy right now after being diagnosed with cancer six weeks or so ago. He swears that the mosquitos leave him alone now.