Gsak And Gpxsonar

I really love both these programs. I just wish that I could easily export my GSAK file to GpxSonar like you can with MapSource, PocketStreets, MapSend, etc.

I e-mailed Clyde England and got this response:

"Actually I havn't had any request for this one (up until now). If I get

more users that want this format I will look into it."

and

"As I know nothing about this mapping software, your best bet here is to

place a post in the software section on the boards at geocaching.com"

So, if anyone else out there is interested in this export option, PLEASE join in this topic!

Thanks,

TeddyTexas :o

Edited by TeddyTexas

I too am confused, 'cos I use GASK (must remember to register before this weekend :o ), and GPXSonar together without issue, As the previous post says you just use the same gpx file for both, then export the field notes from gpxsonar back into GASK (which is a built in feature of both products).....

Maybe I am missing something ?

MikeC

While I have great respect for what Clyde does, decomposing file formats isn't his thing. He outsources most of his file format problems to an offshore operation.

There have been a few requests for Mapopolis but so far nobody has been sufficiently motivated to reverse engineer the file formats. At one point, they had a mapconverter thing available and GPSBabel supported that, but that was revoked and apparently didn't work with the newer versions anyway.

Your best bet, in order, are to annoy Mapopolis to release their file format so that tools to manipulate YOUR data can be built (and then plea with the GPSBabel group to find someone interested in coding it) or to find someone that's interested in reverse engineering the format and THEN code it - and this is a much taller order.