How Much Map Space Will A 60c Hold?

Yes i know im slowly flooding the forum with posts im sorry. lol

i am torn between the cericolor and 60c. the 60c will cost more but has a much better color screen, but has less map space. and there starts my question

if i buy a 60 c i plan to get City Select software. and what i want to know is how many states will the maps cover before it reaches the max memory?

and if i use City Select and topo24k together about how many states will with both of those cover before i max out the memory?

thanks so much

aj

I don't have topo24k but I can tell you how much using CS6 you could get into your 60 if you tell me where you live or what area you want to cover.

Topo24k is only for, if I'm properly recalling, National Parks. Regular Topo (100k) is for all the US.

And does the other unit you're looking at do auto routing on the unit? I don't know their line of products but I know the V, 60C(S) and 76C(S) from Garmin do auto routing on the units. Might be a big difference if the other doesn't.

Also, the map coverage that the 60c will hold depends greatly on where they are. I was messing around the other day and discovered I could put all the maps I would need for a trip from where I live in Texas to Alaska, but it won't hold all of Texas because Dallas/Fort Worth, San Antonio, and Houston eat up a lot of memory. I don't have Topo 24k, I have regular US Topo, and I can get a lot of area in and it doesn't take up that much memory. I can give you specifics if you want them!

yeah i ment the normal topo, lol.

im in WV, i would like to have all of WV and VA in there, plus as much of the surrounding states. but i hardly ever leave WV. i am curious to see just how much 56mb will hold cause if its not that much then the meridian color will be my choice. nit u think a 60c would make me happier....

aj

Edited by AJ of Dunbar

You would be happy with the 60C instead of a MeriColor, because the 60C has better tracklogging, and very good Trip Computer information, fast processor, and very quick map loading, and if you had a laptop, it only takes 10 minutes to process and upload the 56 megs of mapping to the 60C.

As far as the Meridians go, I thought that the Platinum was much easier to see than the Color was, and I had both, but took back the color one.

Yes, you can select map segments. If you look at the WV screenshoot, you'll see sections divided by light blue lines. Each one of those is a map segment. Sometimes they are square, sometimes they are rectangular (and I think even completely free-form). Some are large, some are small.

In a route from WV to CA you can absolutely plot a route and then highlight the segments that cover that route. You won't be able to fit the entire set of map segments into a 60. I'm saying that because I take a 635 mi route from NJ to Wilmington and I can't fit all the segments to cover 100% of the route in a 60.

David

well i was hoping i could get a bit more maps i nther then what was stated above (thanks sooo much for that info) but still thats quit a bit. I just wonder why garmin didnt copy megellan and use SD cards...

one last question, i plan to use the software on my desktop at home, but if we go on the road we can take the laptop to update maps or anything if need be. Can i use the program on two different computers?

I ask because it seems garmin is trying really hard to prevent 'piracy' of their software which is understadable but i hope i can use it on 2 different computers :o

aj

... it seems garmin is trying really hard to prevent 'piracy' of their software which is understadable but i hope i can use it on 2 different computers :o

Yes, the unlock restrictions just prevent you from using the maps on more than two GPS units, but you can use the software on multiple computers.

BTW, I think it's more accurate to say that NavTeq is trying really hard to prevent piracy of their map data. Garmin never implemented copy protection on the map data obtained from TIGER (Roads & Rec), TeleAtlas (earlier MetroGuide), or USGS (Topo).

This suggests that the anti-piracy methods were required by NavTeq as part of the contractual arrangements with Garmin.

I don't know what the base map is like for the US, but on longer journeys I pick and choose which maps to load and rely on the base map for the bits in between. For eg one of my trips is from Poole in Dorset (South coast of the UK) up to Scotland so a couple of maps for the Poole area especially around the docks. Then All of Scotland and maybe the Lakes if I'm stopping off, other than that the base map covers the A roads and motorways just fine.

I am very pleased with my 60C and use it on road, off road and with blue water charts on the boat.

Now all I need is topo maps for the UK & europe and it would be perfect I've seen how good the bluewater charts are and I want that for my walking.

Regards

Steve D

and you can 'custom' select certain areas of the map to put on the gps right? like say i was going from WV ot CA i find the route ill take then select maybe a 2 miles radious of the road all the way to ca? understand what im saying? lol

aj

You can't take a radius around a road. You can only predefined map segments. What I do is first calculate the route so that it is highlighted, then select the map segments along that route. 56MB will get you from Charleston, WV to the Nevada-California border (I have a jpg image, but haven't figured out how to attach it - I'll email it if you like). You could fit in the entire trip if you leave out the detail maps for one of the major cities (e.g. St. Louis). Because of the density of streets and POIs, these segments take up the most space. Any map segments you leave out would be covered by the Basemap.

Especially if you have a laptop and can take it with you, I wouldn't worry about the storage. I bought the 60C, and 56MB is more than enough for all situations that I'm working with. My brother lives in Jacksonville FL, and I can load all map segments along a Cleveland to Jacksonville route with room to spare. Remember if you're taking a trip somewhere and want to change the map set, it is very easy to just go to Mapsource, select the new map segments you wish to use, then load them.

Any map segments you leave out would be covered by the Basemap.

The issue here is if you want to actually define a route and follow it, you need all the map segments that cover the entire route. If you leave off a detailed map segment you can't use a pre-defined out you created in MapSource. This is really only important if you know MapSource/60C will create a route for you that isn't optimal. For me as an example, I don't like the way MapSource routes me through Wash DC vs around it.

I'm sure you can create multiple routes and use them as you get to each new segment and for those you don't care about specific routes use the basemap.

As mentioned, if you have a PC and can reload each night, not an issue.