EasyGPS to MS Streets and Trips??

Rygel

It's possible, but not easy.

I've done it by saving into gpx format from Easygps, then inporting the .gpx file into MSExcel, deleting extraneous columns, saving as an .xls file then importing as a dataset into S&T. If anybody has a better method, I'd like to hear it.

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

I just figured out how to do this. From geocaching.com, save your checked caches in EasyGPS in a file with .loc suffix. Convert this file in GPSBabel to a .csv file in the format: MS Streets and Trips 2002/2003 (Babel gives you this choice; use gpsbabelfront.exe). In S&T, open in the Data menu.

If you create waypoints in EasyGPS manually, or upload from your GPSr or consolidate waypoints, save the file in EasyGPS in the .gpx format. Then convert in GPSBabel.

S&T 2003 for $14.84 at Sam's Club after rebate.

TOPO! Southern California CD set at REI for $20.

In TOPO! GPSBagel lets you convert the same way. Convert to a .tpg file in the National Geographic TOPO format. In TOPO!, open or merge the .tpg file. They are on the map and listed (with cache name) in the GPS waypoint list.

quote:
Originally posted by Judy&Dick:

quote:
If anybody has a better method, I'd like to hear it..

Get Geobuddy, load the .loc file do a save as into a .cvs format. Import the data into S&T, you are done.

good luck

That did it!! Sweet!! Thanks!

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

I've had a problem opening files with both GeoBuddy and GPSBabel. (The error in GeoBuddy is Unknown Tag: 9) The problem only occurs if the files have been previously opened in EasyGPS. If I open the .loc before I open it in EasyGPS I can convert the files and open them in Streets and Trips. Anyone know a way around this? I would like to modify the waypoint names in EasyGPS before putting them into Streets and into my GPS.

quote:
Originally posted by ten feet:

I've had a problem opening files with both GeoBuddy and GPSBabel. (The error in GeoBuddy is Unknown Tag: 9) The problem only occurs if the files have been previously opened in EasyGPS. If I open the .loc before I open it in EasyGPS I can convert the files and open them in Streets and Trips. Anyone know a way around this? I would like to modify the waypoint names in EasyGPS before putting them into Streets and into my GPS.

If EScout's last suggestion doesn't work then you can always open your .loc file with a text editor like "notepad" and using the "replace" function to change all your waypoint names. It shouldn't take any longer then opening and editing each one in Easy.

Cheers, Olar

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"

quote:
Originally posted by EScout:

GPSBuddy has the advantage of letting you merge files, but makes you take the extra step of naming the fields in the .csv import in S&T. GPSBabel automatically names the field correctly and converts to many more formats.

Iv'e never had this problem with GeoBuddy. In fact, it will automatically rename the waypoints from the standard geocaching names (GCXXXX) to a name with the first 10 letters of the actual cache names. Iv'e never had to rename any fields when importing. The hyperlink to the cache page is also automatically imported so you can just double-click on a push-pin and then click the link to take you right to the cache page when your on-line. A great little program for merging files as well as working with S&T.