What Do You Want To Ask Your Fellow Geocachers?

Jeremy

"Why is there air?" -- not really, I doubt very many people will know where that one came from.

How about some questions for travel bugs/geocoins:

- Have you released a travel bug?

- Have any of your TB's gone missing and later returned? If so, how long was it missing?

- Name of your favorite TB.

- Waypoint number for your favorite cache

Zack

"Why is there air?" -- not really, I doubt very many people will know where that one came from.

Bill Cosby! I have that album. (Yes, album. :o )

Off topic: Why there's air to blow up basketballs, footballs, volleyballs!!! My first album in 1966. I remember playing it at CYO basketball camp for the team. Whatever happened to it?

On topic: I agree with the questions about how many people do you usually cache with - alone, 1, 2 etc..

What originally attracted you to geocaching?

Do you have any specific geocaching goals you would like to achieve?

What do you like the best about geocaching?

What do you like the least about geocaching?

What do you consider to be the best developments/changes to geocaching since you began?

What do you consider to be the worst developments/changes to geocaching since you began?

How have these changes influenced the degree or manner in which you participate in geocaching?

I've done a few questionnaires before and can offer a couple items of advice on some of these types of questions:

For as many questions as you can (if not all), it is best to provide a list of choices for the respondents to pick from. Otherwise, you will get mountains of difficult-to-classify textual answers with little possiblilty for data analysis. If you have a list of particular answers for people to choose among, you can count the answers and do other statistics with them.

Don't offer "Other" or "None of the above" as a choice in lists like the above. The resons is that many respondents choose "Other" even if their situation is 95% like one of the given choices. For example, if a list of Favorite Activities lists Geocaching, Forum Posting, and Other, and the person likes Nighttime-Geocaching, they might pick Other instead of Geocaching.

If it seems difficult to come up with a list of choices for a particular question, this thread can solve that quickly. :P

Perhaps these can be combined somehow with in a CITO section:

• Do you pick up trashed caches?
  • Do you pick up abandoned caches?

A question I have been interested in is whether folks will re-visit an area for a cache that has replaced a former cache. The wording of this will need to be tightened up, but if you found cache A, cache A is archived, cache B is placed in the same spot or very near the same spot, will you seek cache B? If so, why? If not, why? And for argument's sake, consider the area normal (nothing special like a mountain top, etc.).

Bill Cosby! I have that album. (Yes, album. :P )

Off topic: Why there's air to blow up basketballs, footballs, volleyballs!!! My first album in 1966. I remember playing it at CYO basketball camp for the team. Whatever happened to it?

[offtopic]hey, i got that too... (you cant have it. :D ) and what about that polaroid company? (phffew!)[/offtopic]

kinda going off what frolickin was saying...

what sorts of trash have you taken out while cito-ing?

have you gone beyond the normal cache to cito?

do you cito while not caching?

i'm going to suggest that you leave room for anecdotal information. while it's not statistically sound, it often gives a more well-rounded picture when it's included in the notes.

i'd be interested to know if people consider the caches in their area to be well-stocked, what their idea of well-stocked is, and how long in their opinion caches stay well-stocked. i notice a significant difference in the quality of cache items from place to place.

it would be interesting to alow people to assess cache qualtiy by a number of criteria for different areas they've been to. regional pride will probably skew the results, but you'l bet some interesting and useful information.

there are many, many ways to make this kind of information public and strip it of its identifiers. we really DO want to know.

A couple of questions that I am curious about are....

When you plan a vacation do you include Geocaching &/or benchmark hunting? Y or N

How important is caching/benchmarking on your vacation, on a scale of 1 thru 10.___

What is the favorite cache you have found?

What is the favorite benchmark that you have found?

Thank you Jeremy for this idea of a survey. I think it might reveal quite a lot of interesting facts & maybe surprise us all.

Shirley~

Ditto...plus

Have you ever been in the dog house for geocaching on vacation/annaversery/v-day.....etc

:blink:

since it's anonymous, i'd be interested in socio-political stuff like party affiliation, education level, religion, pro/anti gun, abortion, suv, etc....

If they were in the survey I personally wouldn't answer them.

Most importnatly, they aren't Geocaching related in anyway only for demographics, and I personally don't care if geocaching caters more to democrats or republicans.

I would hope that the survey is sent out to all geocachers, whether they participate in the forums or not. This way we might really be surprised if the answers to some questions differ from the popular opinions in the forums.

I'm seeing lots of good questions and looking forward to seeing the results.

Edited by cachew nut
since it's anonymous, i'd be interested in socio-political stuff like party affiliation, education level, religion, pro/anti gun, abortion, suv, etc....

Most importnatly, they aren't Geocaching related in anyway only for demographics, and I personally don't care if geocaching caters more to democrats or republicans.

just kinda interesting to see what cachers' core values are...we already know they like to hunt for treasure in the woods...but from forums i get a sense it's a very conservative group and since no-names are associated, i'd be currious to see if this true

I use a garmin legend. My whole family geocaches. I have 2 boys, 16 and 13.

We usually geocache in groups. Either my husband and I, or my boys and I (I ALWAYS get to go), and sometimes I go by myself.

I like to go every week, but can't always. I'd like to do many in a day, but my family peters out after 2 caches. I often plan stops when traveling around geocaches.

We do all the caches, micro... virtual... any of them. The best thing is all the parks that I never would have found with out geocache. Second best is that with all this walking, I am no longer on artheritis medicine! You see things around you differenctly once you get into geocaching.

We started this because we do so much boy scouting (which I enjoy) but I wanted to something different. I wanted to do something that my boys would be willing to do with MOM! It has worked... of course now the boy scouts are geocaching too!

Do you understand that cache contents are going to degrade very quickly and there’s no sense whining about it?

Do you “get it” that travel bug is JUST a bit of metal and plastic, wood, rubber, etc. with a life of its own and the chance of EVER seeing it again is very close to nil?

Is your life really so sad that you have to live vicariously through your travel bugs?

Are you really so controlling that you get angry when someone holds another person’s travel bug too long, or you get 10 emails from your watchlist when it is at an event? (Follow up: Do you understand that YOU put that bug on your watchlist and that by removing it, you will no longer get offending emails.)

Do you feel superior to people who don’t play the game your way, or see it the way you do?

SNOOG9.jpg

Anytime a survey is taken, it is for demographics. And what would this information be used for? To solicit businesses whom might be interested in buying advertising space if they knew what kind of group they were selling to. It isn't enough to just know we are people with a penchant for electronic toys. Some of that info relates to how business relate to potential customers. Take a look at any survey that you may have completed. They always ask a certain age range, salary range, what kind of things you have at home and what you do for entertainment.

Do you understand that cache contents are going to degrade very quickly and there’s no sense whining about it?

Do you “get it” that travel bug is JUST a bit of metal and plastic, wood, rubber, etc. with a life of its own and the chance of EVER seeing it again is very close to nil?

Is your life really so sad that you have to live vicariously through your travel bugs?

Are you really so controlling that you get angry when someone holds another person’s travel bug too long, or you get 10 emails from your watchlist when it is at an event? (Follow up: Do you understand that YOU put that bug on your watchlist and that by removing it, you will no longer get offending emails.)

Do you feel superior to people who don’t play the game your way, or see it the way you do?

SNOOG9.jpg

hidesbehindsofa.gif

How about -

"Do you specifically take trips to GeoCache or do you GeoCache as part of another pre-planned trip ?"

This was along the lines I was thinking of. Do you go caching or cache where you go? How far away are you willing to cache? 20 miles, 200 miles, 2000 miles.

Do you feel comfortable telling others about your "habit"?

Does it every cause unrest in your family over map reading and missed roads? And the all important question is: are you a geek or a nerd?

Angellic Snoogans said:

Well now, I've figured out if you start with a log book and pencil they cache looks so much better for trading goods in a few weeks that it's hard to complain.

Um...Never thought about that since my bug has never reached it's goal. I've heard rumors of bugs reaching their goal but it's always 3rd hand at best.

I won my bug at a cache event. I'm always impressed when it moves. Maybe that's vicariouse but I'd have to look it up to be sure what vicarious really is. It sound like fun.

Hey man, all I really know is that my travel bug is a WARRIOR dammit, and if you count coop on him that will really, really piss him off. Mostly because he's just plastic and withtout your help it's not going to count coop on much of anything. Where is the honor? I should of made him a cross dressing duck instead of a death knight. At least he would of had a date with someones barbie travel bug by now.

When superior I feel, talk like Yoda I do. That usually cures it. But if not I've got friends to take me down a notch or two.

Yeah I know you weren't talking about me with your rant (at least I don't think so) but it's late, and there is no controversy needing it's flames fanned.

Oh... In AS the number one pressing question right now is what some members look like nakid. "Women of Geocaching" I can see it now. Now if I could just get my duck in those photos, maybe he would think that was counting coop. Now there is an idea for a TB. A bug who's goal is to make like a fig leaf for those nude caching photo's. It could go hand in hand wiht that 5/5 cache idea you had.

Angellic Snoogans said:

Well now, I've figured out if you start with a log book and pencil they cache looks so much better for trading goods in a few weeks that it's hard to complain.

Um...Never thought about that since my bug has never reached it's goal. I've heard rumors of bugs reaching their goal but it's always 3rd hand at best.

I won my bug at a cache event. I'm always impressed when it moves. Maybe that's vicariouse but I'd have to look it up to be sure what vicarious really is. It sound like fun.

Hey man, all I really know is that my travel bug is a WARRIOR dammit, and if you count coop on him that will really, really piss him off. Mostly because he's just plastic and withtout your help it's not going to count coop on much of anything. Where is the honor? I should of made him a cross dressing duck instead of a death knight. At least he would of had a date with someones barbie travel bug by now.

When superior I feel, talk like Yoda I do. That usually cures it. But if not I've got friends to take me down a notch or two.

Yeah I know you weren't talking about me with your rant (at least I don't think so) but it's late, and there is no controversy needing it's flames fanned.

Oh... In AS the number one pressing question right now is what some members look like nakid. "Women of Geocaching" I can see it now. Now if I could just get my duck in those photos, maybe he would think that was counting coop. Now there is an idea for a TB. A bug who's goal is to make like a fig leaf for those nude caching photo's. It could go hand in hand wiht that 5/5 cache idea you had.

OMG! RK, you are in rare form this week. :lol:

I may hafta try that Yoda thing when next superior I feel.

SNOOG9.jpg

What kind of geocaching dog should i get?

Lab vs Malamute

I went with the Malamute. But I'd like to see how many people have geodogs! AND, how many of them are trained to do other things like hunt, SARS, etc., and it would be nice to see what the favored breed is of people who have bought dogs since they started caching.

Have you upgraded from 2WD to 4WD since you started caching?

Was it a Jeep?

Does your pet go caching with you?

If so, does he find it more often than you do?

Do you use a boat (canoe, Kayak) to go caching?

What do you most like to find at a cache?

1. Trinkets

2. A difficult hide

3. A beautiful view

4. A TB or geocoin

My pet peeve about surveys are that sometimes you have to pick just one response out of several when in reality several of the responses may fit. Example:

Do you geocache-

1. alone

2. with family

3. with friends

I could pick all of them. A better way with this question would be to indicate percentages of each one rather than having to choose just one.

I do think your idea of a survey would be very interesting, and I would be interested in seeing the final results.

My pet peeve about surveys are that sometimes you have to pick just one response out of several when in reality several of the responses may fit. Example:

Do you geocache-

1. alone

2. with family

3. with friends

I could pick all of them. A better way with this question would be to indicate percentages of each one rather than having to choose just one.

I do think your idea of a survey would be very interesting, and I would be interested in seeing the final results.

Well, since this is a 2 year old thread that got bumped I don't see why we can't go off topic. My "pet peeve" with surveys is when the opposite happens. You have to pick from several responses and NONE of them fit, or are all worded to get the answer the poll poster wanted to hear in the first place.

Do you geocache-

1. alone

2. with family

3. with friends

Well, since this is a 2 year old thread that got bumped I don't see why we can't go off topic. My "pet peeve" with surveys is when the opposite happens. You have to pick from several responses and NONE of them fit, or are all worded to get the answer the poll poster wanted to hear in the first place.

Wellll, the frog must not have gotten the answers he wanted, since the results were never published.