Illinois Cachers?

Kyul_and_Carbon

Rats...that means I'm in Southern Illinois...and by about 75 feet! :lol:

Around here everyone uses "Kankakee to Effingham" as the measurement for Central Illinois. Of course, if you go way up north to Chicago you'll discover that anything south of Joliet is Southern Illinois.

Strange perspective, huh? :o

Bret

*laughs*

Well - Kyul is from Petersburg.. I was born and raised in Clinton Indiana - in fact Cybret - I believe you know my brother and sisterinlaw and mom :-) BearandBird and LadyLitz *chuckles*

moved over here and we are in Springfield......

So that's why our cache finds (and no finds) are gonna be normally between here and there :-)

Rats...that means I'm in Southern Illinois...and by about 75 feet! :P

Around here everyone uses "Kankakee to Effingham" as the measurement for Central Illinois. Of course, if you go way up north to Chicago you'll discover that anything south of Joliet is Southern Illinois.

Strange perspective, huh? :D

Bret

HAHAHAHA.....That true about Chicago when you go north. I lived in WI for a while and every time I said Central Illinois they thought it was Chicago.......when I said Southern Illinois....they thought it was a Suburb of Chicago.....

Anyway, my family lives in CENTRAL Illinois real close to CYBret. That is where Ninja Cache lives. I am in Indiana but come to IL all the time.

Slightly off topic but could someone go to the (Kickapoo Park cache -- one of Illinois' oldest caches -- and rescue my wife's Mug Bug TB? We put it in the cache over 2 months ago and since then there has been only one visitor! Because my wife put so much time and energy into the Mug Bug we thought that the cache would be a good one since it would attract only serious cachers and thus the bug would not get muggled right away . However lonely and forgotten about is just as bad.

If no one rescues Mug Bug then in about a month then we will have to make a trip that way in order to do the rescuing ourselves. Not a terrible idea since it will allow us to do some GCing out that way but ... stilll ... it would be nice for someone else to move Mug Bug along.

Thanks,

-- Rick

Of course, if you go way up north to Chicago you'll discover that anything south of Joliet is Southern Illinois.

Strange perspective, huh? B)

Bret

I don't know ... I'm in Chicago metro (Oak Park) and I have always taken a more extreme measure of north and south with a big middle taking everything else ... to me Southern Illinois would be East St. Louis and Shauwnee National Forest ... Northern Illinois anything north of I-80 ... that'd make the middle pretty darn big ...

My heart is in Trivoli, IL (raised there since 8 years old) but my body resides in Albany Ohio. I'm new into geocaching and I have done alot of research on the topic but haven't found any caches yet.(not for lack of trying) I will be getting a gps the first of september and hopefully i will be more successful then. I'm looking forward to finding and planting caches in both central Illinois and southeast ohio. :ph34r:

This is how the IL-DNR designates the state into the three zones for waterfowl hunting.

North Zone – That portion of the state north of a line running east from the Iowa

border along Illinois Route 92 to U.S. Interstate 280, east along U.S. Interstate 280

to U.S. Interstate 80, then east along U.S. Interstate 80 to the Indiana border.

Central Zone – That portion of the state south of the North Zone boundary to the

Modoc Ferry Route on the Mississippi River and east along the Modoc Ferry Road

to Modoc Road to St. Leo’s Road to Illinois Route 3, then north to Illinois Route 159,

then north to Illinois Route 161, then east to Illinois Route 4, then north to U.S.

Interstate 70, east along I-70 to the Bond County line, north and east along the

Bond County line to Fayette County, north and east along the Fayette County line

to Effingham County, north and east along the Fayette County line to Effingham

County, east and south along the Effingham County line to I-70, east along I-70 to

the Indiana border.

South Zone - The south zone extends from the southern boundary of the central

zone south to the remainder of the state.

Click on this link to see a map of the zones.

What zone do you reside?

I'm in the northern zone.

Rats...that means I'm in Southern Illinois...and by about 75 feet! <_<

Strange perspective, huh? ;)

Bret

I live in elmhurst I I consider Joliet "Down South"

I loathe going to spring field, it's so boring, the town is small, and once you've been there once, you've seen it all. Pere marquette is cool though. :wacko:

Pere marquette is cool though.

That's Peoria (and in danger of being shut down?)

Unless he's talking about Pere Marquette State Park north of Alton. It's a very nice park and in no danger of closing. And there are several caches in the area.

Don's opinion of Springfield reflect a lot of us downstaters sour opinion of Chicagoland. Too many people, not much worth seeing, and definitely nothing worth moving there for. A few years ago the IL Dept of Tourism had a jingle in their advertisements that said "Just outside Chicago is a place called Illinois." You don't know what's downstate until you take the time to look.

[. A few years ago the IL Dept of Tourism had a jingle in their advertisements that said "Just outside Chicago is a place called Illinois." You don't know what's downstate until you take the time to look.

Interesting that the Illinois Dept. of Tourism does not consider Illinois and Chicago the same place. I remember those adds and did not catch that point. I always use the old saying "Chicago is a nice place to visit, but I don't want to live there".

I just happened to notice this thread from the great Northwest....Born and raised in "greater" East Alton. Woodriver/Rosewood Heights...The family moved cross country in '67.

Hey, I didn't know that about Marcus! Groovy.

I'm originally from Springfield. I still have family there (RichardL) and I get back from time to time to visit them and check on my geocaches.

Have a look at my new thread about Secret Camp Site's milestone.

Cheers,

Seth!

There's a new geocaching group being formed in Central Illinois. The first event has been announced: NORMAL Breakfast Cache

There is a group already formed in the olney,newton area L.E.G.S. <http://www.omegabbs.com/legs/> as a matter of fasct we are having an event saturday oct 23rd called fright nite event cache everyone is welcome to attend

<http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=2ace20ba-c795-4351-9261-54f00e569635>