Can't Close Cache

NoClue-Opp

I usually end up taking 5 pieces of junk (random bits of plastic, a rusty metal bar, etc) and chuck them in the bin! I'd much rather someone take more than one item from my cache (without adding anything) than the cache leak and I have to go and replace it.

MarcB

Exactly the same thing you do. I take the one large item that is keeping the lid from shutting (whether I want it or not) and leave one or two smaller items.

What I really don't get is when I see logs like "The cache was really stuffed. I had a hard time getting everyting back in. Left a Beanie Baby and took nothing".

One cache I visited yesterday was very small and was stuffed with a crummy spiderman action figure that was hogging what little room was in there. I took him and placed him in the next cache so that there would be room for someone to leave something next time. . . .

And I didn't feel bad one bit about taking something and not leaving something since I was doing something good for both caches. . .

I walked around for months with a big transformer toy in my pack that I had to remove from a cache to get the lid to shut. At first, I could not find another cache to drop it off in because the caches were too small or too full. Later, I decided I liked the thing and got sentimental about dropping it off. Finally, I put it in a cache that I particularly liked. I kind of miss it though (sniff). :)

I walked around for months with a big transformer toy in my pack that I had to remove from a cache to get the lid to shut. At first, I could not find another cache to drop it off in because the caches were too small or too full. Later, I decided I liked the thing and got sentimental about dropping it off. Finally, I put it in a cache that I particularly liked. I kind of miss it though (sniff). :)

If you love something let it go. If it comes back to you it was meant to be. If it does not..

Hunt it down and kill it. :)

One cache I visited yesterday was very small and was stuffed with a crummy spiderman action figure that was hogging what little room was in there. I took him and placed him in the next cache so that there would be room for someone to leave something next time. . . .

And I didn't feel bad one bit about taking something and not leaving something since I was doing something good for both caches. . .

That's what I do too...

Trash out any papers, anything broken, etc... Then if it's still too full, take something large and move it to the next cache.

I walked around for months with a big transformer toy in my pack

Finally, I put it in a cache that I particularly liked. I kind of miss it though (sniff). :lol:

"Toy" and "pack"? I read that as an electrical transformer and your purse. This leads to the obvious solution: bring your wife with. Anyone who can fit all that stuff into a little purse would have no problem with an ammo box. Be honest Carlee, the space left by the absense of that "toy" is now filled, right? :o

If you love something let it go. If it comes back to you it was meant to be. If it does not..

Then someone took it and signed the log LN.... :lol:

Seriously though :o I would do what everyone else above has said, and if it had actual good trade items in it, well then you're in a pickle, but I would take a couple and drop them in another cache...

i usually take the junk out of the cache and throw that in the bin. and try to swap the too large stuff for smaller things.

my geocachingbackpack is stuffed with geocachingrelated materials even an spare cachebox for broken containers....

gimli

While I was in Florida on vacation, I made the big mistake of taking a TB that was attached to a baseball. After I left I thought hard about taking it with me, like where am I going to find a container that's going to fit a baseball. Fortunately on another hunt the next day I bumped into a new cacher family who were delighted in taking it from me without me trying to stuff it into the container. They thought TB's were so neat! They were going place it when they got back to the Carolinas.

They're probably still cursing me! :blink: