Should I Pick Up All(most) Tb's?

YuccaPatrol

Today I found a cache with 3 TB's in it: 2 personal TB's and one YJTB.

Is it considered greedy to grab all the TB's and move them along, or should I just take one and leave the rest for others to move along?

I just took the Yellow Jeep since I had not seen one before and thought it would be a good thing to attract cachers to my first cache I am placing this week.

Now that I think about it, the law enforcement related police motorcycle one that wants to travel to see police officers might have been a good thing to carry with me for a while to keep as an ice-breaker when the next friendly officer asks me what the heck I am doing in the bushes over there.

So is it better to leave a TB for the next cacher to be excited to find or is it better to keep the TB's moving even if it means picking up several of them. If it is a bug that I cannot help, I would leave it where it is.

As a progressing newbe, I thought, and still do, that TB Hotels were meant to be pick-up points where TBs were placed for easy pick-up by travelers that could help the bug along to meet its goal. I didn't realize that TBs were meant to be special trade items, or decorations for somebody’s cache.

Cache Well

I picked up 2 TB's in a cache, and the next person called me greedy.

Owner had small comment also. No one found cache for 3 weeks. Owner put

TB's in a week before I found it. Took both, just in case it sat idle again.

Someone came after me expecting to find them....DID I DO WRONG ?

Edited by Tracker Tom

I love taking travel bugs and I am greedy about it, lol!

If they are labeled with a goal that I cannot help them with, I usually won't take them. However there is one that I just had to take (We Are Penn State), eventhough I knew I was detouring it from it's goal. Didn't get any nasty emails from the bug's owner yet. So I am guessing they didn't mind another fan snagging it.

Then there are some bugs that are not labeled and you don't realize what its goal is until you get home and log it.

Regardless, I place them pretty quickly. So hopefully it doesn't matter.

DID I DO WRONG ?

Nope!

Travel bugs are NOT the property of:

people who want to find them

people who expect to find them

the cache owner

people who have the cache or TB on a watch list

people who believe there are limits on how many tb's you should take

people who don't like how many you took

people who don't like what kind of gpsr you use

They are the property only of the TB owner. But… Travel bugs are an interesting experiment because once the owner releases one they no longer have any control over its movements.

When a travel bug is placed in a cache it can be picked up by anyone at anytime and taken anywhere. Even if you can't advance it toward it's goal. In that situation you can honorably grab it and simply leave it in another nearby, safely hidden, cache.

I've hiked to caches, many I've previously found, just to get a travel bug only to find someone beat me to it. And sometimes the previous finder took two TB's as in your case. That is just part of the game.

It is nice to see the many responses supporting your action in this topic.

Generally, I will grab all that are in the cache. The only time I'll leave one is if the instructions show me that there is absolutly no way that I can help it along.

For example, we were in Hawaii this Spring, and found a TB in a cache on Maui. Wh had already been to Ohau, the Bug wanted to go to Austrailia, and we were heading for Seattle. By ship. So, there was nothing I could do :lol:

I own a TB vault in Washington, and will, as needed, go over and pull and move bugs if it gets too full.

I didn't realize that TBs were meant to be special trade items, or decorations for somebody’s cache.

They aren't I say take any that you can help.

:rolleyes:

What if the TB HAS no goal? Or if I had not noticed the "Recently Seen TBs" listing before I found the cache and therefore did not know what/where the TB was seeking?

Just curious -- getting ready to launch our first TBs...

Team Bear-Cat

What if the TB HAS  no goal?  Or if I had not noticed the "Recently Seen TBs" listing before I found the cache and therefore did not know what/where the TB was seeking? 

Just curious -- getting ready to launch our first TBs...

Team Bear-Cat

I leave TBs unless I know for certain that it has no goal or that I can help it meet the goal. I don't want to be a jerk and take a TB only to discover that I've worked against its goal.

It's VERY helpful to include the goal (or mention the lack of one) on documentation travelling with the TB. (I've had one that had it taped to the dog tag. Others have had them inside Ziplock bags with the TB.) If there's nothing included, I check to see if whoever left it mentioned any goal in the log at the cache.

Sure, the goals are mentioned on the site, but that's no help if the bug just showed up and I'm in the middle of the woods.

If there are multiple TBs and I know they don't have goals and just want to travel wherever, I'd leave at least one (perhaps more, depending on how many there are, what they were, etc.) I personally have no desire to horde them and have no problem leaving one for the next guy. (I'm not one of those people who tries to log as many TBs as he possibly can.)

Edited by PatrickD
I think if the cache containing the TBs is infrequently visited, you are doing the TB owners a favor by moving them all along. But if the cache containing the TBs is frequently visited, just take one ... you can always copy down the tag #s on the others and log them out/back into the cache.

Good point. I usually do that for Yellow Jeeps. I figure there might be someone making an effort to get to it and since I’ve already found a few, it’s no big deal for me just to record the number and leave it for them.