Gc.com Locks Firefox On Profile Edit

Cymbaline

Subject says all...

I can do anything I want on the site; post finds, delete finds, enter new hides, edit hides, edit finds, visit the forums, whatever.. via Firefox.

As soon as I try to edit my own profile page, though.. POOF. Firefox locks up, only recourse is to kill and restart. Major downer when one has 6-10 windows up, and only 2-3 of those are geocaching.com..

Please address/fix/remove explicits/whatever. "Use IE for all usage" is not an appropriate "solution", especially when this one particular function is the issue.

My current build/version:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040803 Firefox/0.9.3

Thanks.

Also works fine for me in 0.9.2. Maybe this is a reason not to upgrade to 0.9.3.

If it does crash 0.9.3 it would be a problem with Firefox, not with GC.com. :)

I think I saw a place somewhere on the Mozilla site to report pages/sites that don't work properly with Firefox.

I have 0.9.3 and had no issue whatsoever editing my profile on the site. It's not my primary browser but I launched it, bounced around GC.com and then went to my Profile page. Made some changes, saved them and everything was fine.

Do you have any add-ons/plug-ins that might be the cause?

The fact that your browser is locking up appears more to be a browser problem and not a GC.com problem. Since it doesn't lock up for me (or others that posted in the thread) I don't think it's the HTML on the page that is the issue.

Ok, so a dozen folks posted it works. Maybe if someone can break it too, that would be helpful. Otherwise, it seems to be a browser/desktop issue.

As Jeremey posted, under no circumstances should HTML cause the browser to fail, but I guess that's why Firefox is still beta.

Anyway... lets wait for the original poster to respond.

Hmm..

I must be the oddball, because I'm still breaking it. Will try with a fresh install of 0.9.3 when I get some free time here in the next couple of days.

Given that others are able to use successfully, I retract my original post/comment (but will leave it there for posterity).

Well, no offense to Firefox or anything, but we do support the most popular browsers. Beta is beta, so may the downloader beware.

Hmm..I wonder what the latest surveys would say, (not meta tags...they all just say "Mozilla") but anyone who has downloaded a Mozilla-based browser lately has more than likely downloaded Firefox and not Mozilla or Netscape.

I know that most of the linux users I have talked to lately have Firefox over Opera, Netscape, or some other browser. Even a number of Windows users I know have installed Firefox (and go to IE only when the web page groans).

If the site were going to test drive 3 browsers for compatability issues, I'd think IE, Safari, and Firefox would cover almost every base.

Of course, that being said, I've never had any problems working on my profile from work using Firefox 0.9.3. In fact, my latest avatar was drawn up in The Gimp and imported via Firefox and implemented in my profile without a hitch. Wish I could help you figure out why your computer is chewing up the profile page.

I think I've narrowed it down to my avatar pics.

I can get the edit profile page to load just dandy in IE6 and Mozilla 1.7.

It even looks like it loads fine in Firefox 0.9.3, but then hangs - I *think* on an img.groundpseak.com transfer.

So, I turned load images off and tried it that way - still locks after the bulk of the page HTML loads - I get a scrollbar, etc.

I'm stumped, but will still try with a fresh install of 0.9.3 sometime in the near future. In the interim I will use Mozilla to edit.

As a side note, I noticed that my profile description details is now loaded with inserted "Tidy HTML for Windows" stuff in both IE and Mozilla. Screengrabcut:

profilecrop.png

Is this new, or did I screw something up somehow by bouncing between browsers? Kinda a pain to edit now.

:o