Showing Initial Maps for Caches

Guest Chris Juricich

Guest Chris Juricich

When going to the geocaching site and checking out the first 'Mapblast' map, how are those created? How do they show the highlighted 'red spot' checkpoints? How is the blue star created to show the actual cache location?

An inquiring neocacher wants to know!!

Guest Ron Streeter

Chris...

If you get answers to those questions, can you also have that person tell me why the sky is blue and grass is green?

Guest Chris Juricich

Hmm. Having just visited the MapBlast, site, I can see that you can search for a location with latitude and longitude. You could enter that info, MapBlast software would create the map for you, and the little bluestar icon would go write where it was supposed to.

That part makes sense-- but getting the image onto your cache-location website on the geocaching site...??

More research is needed!

Guest Chris Juricich

Hey, I suppose at the cache-reporting site, they ask for html info-- which would be the map provided by MapBlast. Sounds pretty straightforward!

So-- make your map at MapBlast, record the URL, and enter it into the info on your cache when initially reporting it?

Just a thought!

Guest Markwell

I'm pretty sure that Jeremy links automatically to the Mapblast site, using the coordinates you enter on the form. I do believe that there's also enhanced data from the Tiger Census maps as well, putting those Red Waypoint pins on.

I have a travelling cache that I update the coordinates regularly. Whenever i update the coords, the maps change automatically. No extra work is necessary from the hider's point.

Guest Linda

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Juricich:

That part makes sense-- but getting the image onto your cache-location website on the geocaching site...??

More research is needed!

Just create your cache. Geocaching.com will automatically generate the MapBlast and Topomap for you. Cool.

Guest jeremy

Mapblast is pretty straightforward. I convert the coordinates to decimal and pass it on to Mapblast for them to generate the maps.

For Tiger maps (the ones on the site), I use the US Census Tiger application to generate them. Again, they require decimal format for coordinates to generate the maps.

Instructions here:

http://tiger.census.gov

You can actually generate the Mapblast images on the fly on your own web page. I do not do this because they charge for this functionality (and a *lot*). Tiger maps are free so I use them, and for folks outside the US they can click on the Mapblast icon to get the maps.

Jeremy

Guest Silver

Jeremy,

One question I've had is, can you make the map image from the Tiger application static? That way it would save a lookup from the census.gov site every time I open a cache page? Is this allowed under their terms of use?

Silver