Newbie Geocacher Looking For Feedback

skatedork

I am a newbie to the GPS world so please bare with me. I am looking into getting my first GPS and I have been shopping around, but I don't know exactly what to look for. I am going to be using this for geocaching and occasionally on road trips. So far I have narrowed it down to the following models.

GPSMAP 60CS

GPSMAP 76CS

GPSMAP 76S

Meridian Platinum GPS

I really like the GPS60CS but I am worried that 56MB ram wont be enough memory for the maps. Like I said, I am new to this and I am wondering what I should be looking for in a GPS and if anyone has any feedback on the units I listed. Pros, Cons, etc.. Any alternative selection to the listed units is welcome too.

;) Thanks in advance! :(

I LOVE my 60cs. That being said, the 76cs has about twice the memory, and a slightly different basemap. All the rest is the same (operating system, color screen)

I like the controls on the 60, and the 56 megs really can hold a large gegraphic area, depending on the map type and the density of the information--if I put cities on it, it won't hold as large an area as if I put all rural areas.

Again both have the same operating system, so they both do auto-routing the same.

I don't have any experience with Magellan, all with Garmin.

I can add a little on the Magellan side (I have the plat). The advantages of the Meridian will be the expandable memory (I heard this week of someone trying out a 1 gig SD card with success) and economy. If money is not a big concern, you'll probably like the display on the color units you're considering better so long as memory is not a limitation.

A drawback of the Magellan approach to making downloadable detail map files is that you have to define a rectangular region of a limited size (Magellan recommends 64MB but some people have gone larger ok...some not). Although you can have multiple files on your SD card to swap in and out, you can only have one active at a time...thus You can only create an autoroute in MapSend DirectRoute within a single region/mapfile. So if you are planning a longish cross-country trip on a diagonal, you may have to break a route into subroutes.

I have liked my plat a lot, and personally I wouldn't want anything without expandable memory--I like to carry sets of waypoint files with me that I can swap in and out of active memory. The Meridian line is getting a bit long in tooth now, though. The good news here is that prices tend to drop. If you are serious about a Meridian, I think the best value is the Gold (saw it at www.shopharmony.com a few days ago for $169).

76CS is rugged, floats and a good GPS for boating, and I think that 115 megs of memory is pretty good, also the 76CS has a good basemap too. Also you can Autoroute quite far as long as you can stretch the 115 megs of mapping along your routes you are going to travel on. Very fast on the recalculations when you accidentally leave the route and have to get back on the route.

The Meridians are nice too in that they have unlimited memory as far as the size or quantity of SD memory cards that you may have on the trip. The memory cards make it easy to swap waypoint files between Meridian users also.

Edited by GOT GPS?

The 60C/S will give you this much coverage as referenced by the pink shading:

97cd7931-86d5-486d-988b-e75dcadab1a7.jpg

The 76C/S will give you this much coverage as referenced by the pink shading:

b4cc971d-c09f-4501-84bd-0935effdf8b4.jpg

Imagine stretching the blocks out along a route. The 60 series will not hold New York to Florida - the 76C/S will.

Edited by Neo_Geo

Proud owner of a 76CS here! All I can say is LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!! Can't beat that color screen, easy to read in the sunlight, can't beat the memory, and it floats! (Can you tell I'm a bit biased? :)) Seriously though, I couldn't imagine using any other GPSr, not even an hour ago I was checking on a cache in an area with dense tree cover, +/- 10 feet accuracy! I can't think of a single thing wrong with the 76CS except maybe the lack of expandable memory, but the basemap is awesome and if you need more than 115 mb of memory, you need to get a gps that is meant to stay in your car :) Totally recommend it, 10/10, 5 stars, whatever ranking you want, I give it the highest!

Here is what will fit in the 60CS memory, the pink shaded (teal in the water) areas take up 55.9 MB, just under the 60CS's 56MB limit :) Had to overlap into neighboring states to get all of Ohio in. f6c8893f-8360-4a2b-b8f2-1f1e6fcd9f30.jpg

Edit: This was calculated in North American City Select v5, Garmin is at least 4 days overdue (if it isn't in the mail later today) on my upgrade CD, I got an email on the third saying it shipped and to expect it within 7-10 days via First Class Mail, it is now early on the 17th, still no CD (It had better be in the mail later today or I'm gonna SCREAM :)) Anyway, some people have reported maps getting slightly larger in v6, hopefully all the highlighted segments still fit after the upgrade. Also, if you do not include autorouting infomation, the highlighted areas only take up 41.8 MB, but I don't know why you wouldn't want autorouting info! Hope this helps!

Edited by Fenix6372

As far as other accessories, if you are going to be using it for autorouting in the car a lot I'd recommend a auto nav kit and gilsson external antenna. The auto nav kit should come with the beanbag mount, an auto mount, the cigarette lighter adapter, and city select, and should run around 150 bucks. The external antenna is from www.gilsson.com, 19.49 plus shipping, for a 60 or 76 you would want the MCX connector (the tiny gold one). I couldn't imagine driving in the car without my external, I consistently get +/- 6 feet accuracy with it! Other than that the only accessory I can think of is a handlebar mount if you are going to use it for a lot of biking or you ride a bike to geocaches in your area. By the way, excellent choice of GPSr's, I LOVE my 76CS :) You won't be disappointed!

Thanks Fenix. Your my new hero for today.

Woohoo, I'm a hero! :lol: No problem there Team FUBAR, glad to help out!

Skatedork: Excellent choice! Now the only thing left is to order a City Select v6 update CD from Garmin if your auto nav kit came with 5 or lower (probably came with 5). FYI mine STILL hasn't arrived, checked the mail today, nothin! I don't know what I am going to do if it isn't there tomorrow, today was day 14 counting all days, day 10 counting only business days, either way it is overdue! ARGH! :o Anyway, let us know when you get your 76CS and how it works out for ya! Welcome to the addiction my friend :huh: