Multi Stage Cache

Terrere

Hi new to the game but getting into very fast.

Already have a few finds but have a question about the muti stage caches. For example the cache called "Surprise Finding" after finding stage #1 me and the kids enter the next coordinates for stage #2 and it shows the it is 29.9 miles away is this correct?? This is the second multi I've tried with the kids a both show the second stage as being 20+ miles away is this common to place these stages that far apart or am I miss entering the coordinates?? Any help would be MUCH appreciated this is fast becoming a family and friend event already have Lin,Like,John,Cody,Kyle,Patti,Sarah,Lynn,Paul in "Team Terrere" and growing fast the kids are loving it and the parents are loving me for getting them out to the woods for some exercise!

Please any help appreciated on these multis.

Paul R Gallagher (aka. Terrere):(

You can email me at getit_done@hotmail.com

to me that is a very big jump. I don't know your area nor the caches - make sure you gps is setup with the correct coord type and that you are entering in the same mode.

12* 12.123 = degrees and decimal minutes is how it should be set.

most multi's I have seen (in my area) have been less than a mile. Not sure how the rules are on that but you might drop the owner a note to be sure.

also make sure that you are entering the new coords correctly(and same format as describe above) - a slip on the integer part could put you quite a ways off. include what you think the coords are in your note to the owner as a reference.

I like to build multi's and they are fun to do but I wouldn't like driving 20 miles to the next stop - my question then is "where next!?"

edited -

pater got in ahead of me - looks like someone found it so the coords must be ok -

Edited by CompuCash

Thanks amillion for the help :(

Going to go check it out again in few minutes have a feeling that I did enter the coordinates in decimal when should not have been. Hav a Garmin V I've used for 3 years but this geocache stuff has got me doing some stuff I had no idea it could do. Thanks again for the FAST HELP much appreciated.

Going to go check it out now will post how I do.

Again thanks for the help.

Have fun and keep it clean!!

Team Terrere ;)

P.s. will be placing my first 3 caches hopefully within couple days and plan to make my first couple good ones so good luck to all who try for them!!!!! :D

Hi again,

Just wanted to thank you 2 for the help just got back from the cache hunt.Seems if ya type the coordinants in right it works out alot better :( .

Will be taking the kids there tommorow to let them give it a go.

Have a good one.

Have fun and keep it clean!

Paul Gallagher (aka Terrere) ;)

The geocaching.com requirements for posting a "Mystery/Puzzle" cache state:

Unless a good reason otherwise can be provided, the posted coordinates should be no more than 1-2 miles away from the true cache location. This allows the cache to show up on the proper vicinity searches and to keep the mileage of Travel Bugs that find their way into the cache reasonably correct.

Seems like the same guidelines should apply to a multi or offset cache for the same reasons.

Edited by Kai Team
The geocaching.com requirements for posting a "Mystery/Puzzle" cache state:

Unless a good reason otherwise can be provided, the posted coordinates should be no more than 1-2 miles away from the true cache location. This allows the cache to show up on the proper vicinity searches and to keep the mileage of Travel Bugs that find their way into the cache reasonably correct.

Seems like the same guidelines should apply to a multi or offset cache for the same reasons.

Totally different. Mystery/Puzzle caches, you have to figure out what the actual coords are. Multicaches, you're given the actual coords for the first stage. (generally) Where the next stage of a multi is, is really up to the hider. There's a multi near me (temp disabled right now) that the first and last stages are about 60 miles apart. Granted, I think it's 6 stages along the way, but still, that's a bit of driving start to finish.