New Cache Posting - Help!!!

Goldie Locks

Seems to me that with only 60 minutes to a degree, your 96 equals 1 degree more, plus 36 minutes. 59 should be your highest number there. Of course, I could be wrong... I have been before... and often.

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Seventeen minutes after her FIRST call for help, police officers arrived to find Ronyale White dead.

Prohibiting self defense is the ultimate crime. Police carry guns to protect themselves. What protects YOU ???

quote:
Originally posted by KD9KC:

Seems to me that with only 60 minutes to a degree

I agree 100% but according to Map Quest (which matches up which coordinates have been correct with the caches I have found) if I have 36 degrees 59.999 I am in the wrong county...

If I use 37 degrees even I am above where I want to be.

??? I feel so stupid right about now!

I believe you're still in decimal degrees. If so, the coordinates look like 36.96515. The setting on your GPS would be DD.DDDDD. You need to change it to DD MM.MMM. To manually convert it, you would take the 36 off and multiply the 0.96515 times 60, giving you 57.909, so the coordinates would be N 36° 57.909. Same thing with the longitude.

Mapquest and Mapblast and most of the other online mapping programs use the full degrees broken down by decimals.

Most GPS units are set to the default of degrees with minutes, so that's how the Geocaching.com database is set up.

For a full disortation on the subject, check out my FAQ on www.markwell.us - once it's back up and running. icon_wink.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

I believe you're still in decimal degrees. If so, the coordinates look like 36.96515. The setting on your GPS would be DD.DDDDD. You need to change it to DD MM.MMM. To manually convert it, you would take the 36 off and multiply the 0.96515 times 60, giving you 57.909, so the coordinates would be N 36° 57.909. Same thing with the longitude.

Mapquest and Mapblast and most of the other online mapping programs use the full degrees broken down by decimals.

Most GPS units are set to the default of degrees with minutes, so that's how the Geocaching.com database is set up.

For a full disortation on the subject, check out my FAQ on www.markwell.us - once it's back up and running. icon_wink.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers