New York Cachers: Unique Locations List...

Sparrowhawk

I know many of the spots in SI already have caches placed there.

I have a plan in the works for the farm in Queens. Some of the others, like Floyd Bennet field in Brooklyn, I believe is part of the National Gateway recreation area and cannot be used to place caches - but I could be wrong.

That's one of my favorite sites. Anyone know about the old boat graveyard in SI? I've wanting to visit that.

I've also been wanting to combine the sport of urban exploring with geocaching. Obviously I would have to list the caches somewhere else.

Edited by JMBella
That's one of my favorite sites. Anyone know about the old boat graveyard in SI? I've wanting to visit that.

I've also been wanting to combine the sport of urban exploring with geocaching. Obviously I would have to list the caches somewhere else.

if you go to the boat graveyard, you better tell me about your plans.

That's one of my favorite sites. Anyone know about the old boat graveyard in SI?  I've wanting to visit that. 

if you go to the boat graveyard, you better tell me about your plans.

No problem. Anyone else up for a group trip to the boatyard? If there's no cache there, and I don't believe there is, we can place one.

Man you guys just won't leave well enough alone! :)

I've been to the boatyard, go at low tide. Splicingdan will tell you he's kayaked through it also. I recently made a visit and was planning to incorporate the final stage of a multi into it. I also have another multicache for Mariner's Marsh which was linked to, undergoing extensive planning as we speak....

If you want, wait around until I'm done within a few weeks. Otherwise if you want to explore either place let me know which day and I'll join you....

Read this for a good story on exploring the boatyard...

Man you guys just won't leave well enough alone! :)

I've been to the boatyard, go at low tide. Splicingdan will tell you he's kayaked through it also. I recently made a visit and was planning to incorporate the final stage of a multi into it. I also have another multicache for Mariner's Marsh which was linked to, undergoing extensive planning as we speak....

If you want, wait around until I'm done within a few weeks. Otherwise if you want to explore either place let me know which day and I'll join you....

Read this for a good story on exploring the boatyard...

Sorry, CH. I've been thinking about these locations for a while and would love to get a group together and check them out. I would be able to go pretty much anytime. Can the boat yard be accessed legally? You might want to PM me that answer. :)

Yup, I've been to the ship's graveyard many times.

It's certainly among the most memorable places that I've ever explored. A kayak (at high tide) is the best way because of the extreme amount of debris that exists there just waiting to tear you up.

There are several ships that can be boarded and explored.

The problem is that it is certainly private property. I don't mean to spoil anyone's plans, but the owner of the salvage yard has been known to aggressively chase people out. So, a cache would be a problem, but off-hour exploration of the place is very common.

There are many other wrecks along the Kill Van Kull that exist on NYC property and are easily accessable by kayak or canoe. The challange is usually to find a place to put-in. The shoreline is lined with heavy industry and petro chemical plants.

Yup, I've been to the ship's graveyard many times.

It's certainly among the most memorable places that I've ever explored. A kayak (at high tide) is the best way because of the extreme amount of debris that exists there just waiting to tear you up.

There are several ships that can be boarded and explored.

The problem is that it is certainly private property. I don't mean to spoil anyone's plans, but the owner of the salvage yard has been known to aggressively chase people out. So, a cache would be a problem, but off-hour exploration of the place is very common.

There are many other wrecks along the Kill Van Kull that exist on NYC property and are easily accessable by kayak or canoe. The challange is usually to find a place to put-in. The shoreline is lined with heavy industry and petro chemical plants.

how much can be explored sans a kayak? this has been on my place to visit list for a while. I might be able to convince the owner to allow a visit for me, but not sure about "me & all my friends". any idea the name of the boat yard or owner?

Without a boat, you'll only be able to explore the ships that are grounded near the shoreline. The majority are in deeper water.

The less-accessable one's still have artifacts such as portholes and various supplies.

Witte Marine

2453 Arthur Kill Road

718-984-4100

Good Luck.

Let me know how you make out.