Anyone Interested

5¢

Cacher K goes to find the cache, it is muggled, left in the open, soggy, full of carp, etc. Cacher K contacts me, tells me that the cache is in above condition. I've never heard of TEAM XYZZY and this competition. The Team gets blamed.

Do you always blame the LTF if your cache gets plundered? Of course not. Why would this be any different?

As for the argument of PQs, One of the main reasons of the last 5 finds is to establish that the cache is still there and in good condition. What's the difference if the last log is a team, an individual or a competition team? Presumably the competition log will also contain any pertinent info regarding the cache. I don't see how that is an issue.

But all of the sudden, someone's going to log once for their personal account and once for a team from a competition? Ewwww. It was the same person visiting the cache just one time.

Why Ewwww? I still don't see the negative effect this has on anyone.

Cacher K goes to find the cache, it is muggled, left in the open, soggy, full of carp, etc. Cacher K contacts me, tells me that the cache is in above condition. I've never heard of TEAM XYZZY and this competition. The Team gets blamed.

Do you always blame the LTF if your cache gets plundered? Of course not. Why would this be any different?

As for the argument of PQs, One of the main reasons of the last 5 finds is to establish that the cache is still there and in good condition. What's the difference if the last log is a team, an individual or a competition team? Presumably the competition log will also contain any pertinent info regarding the cache. I don't see how that is an issue.

But all of the sudden, someone's going to log once for their personal account and once for a team from a competition? Ewwww. It was the same person visiting the cache just one time.

No, I don't blame the last to find, but I do CONTACT them. Who is in charge of watching for e-mails for the teams, and responding to them? I'm going to go look at the logs for this team and see that they've logged finds ALL over the place, on the same day and wonder. I would hope that some where on the team's page there is a list of the members and an explanation of the game they are playing. But if there isn't I would really start wondering.

Hypotheticals aside, I believe that the double logging is what is truely what I am worried about. Not only is the site already hammered with regular people logging finds, but then we would increase the # of finds being logged by certain people, increasing their own frustration.

And I do use the logs and the 5 logs in a PQ is very important to me. I travel for work, and usually the first time I've seen a cache page is when I look it up in a PQ. If, of the last 5 logs, two are from the same person, I've potentially lost some information that would be handy to have for finding that cache. Or about a nifty restaurant nearby, or good parking area, or neat store to visit. Or the DNF 4 people back that mentioned the police showing up after 6 pm and towing their car. I just don't think that double logging is the best way to play. I certainly would consider it rude that you are playing a game and posting something on my cache about it when you haven't given me the option of not participating (or of joining and playing myself).

If I had a puzzle cache and put a piece in your cache, without asking your permission, would you maybe get miffed when folks log notes on your cache saying that they revisited it while doing my puzzle. (Some folks around here sure would!)

The cache leagues are quiet about their game. And the SGPS scoring system is ignorable if you don't want to play. I just think that while this game has merit, playing it without double logging would be preferable.

-J

Um, uh, ok to start for The-A-team, I will check and respond to all emails etc. As for using the cache and the puzzle piece thing, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Two weeks ago I offered my cache to an caching group meeting at the park the cache is in. For hypotheticals.........2 teams would not create mass havoc everywhere on log emails to cache owners. Back to the real world subjects.....There are plenty of people who already cache in teams and some members log the cache themselves. As for contacting the last to find what do you ask? Did you muggle my cache?

Edited by krn187
Um, uh, ok to start for The-A-team, I will check and respond to all emails etc. As for using the cache and the puzzle piece thing, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Two weeks ago I offered my cache to an caching group meeting at the park the cache is in. For hypotheticals.........2 teams would not create mass havoc everywhere on log emails to cache owners. Back to the real world subjects.....There are plenty of people who already cache in teams and some members log the cache themselves. As for contacting the last to find what do you ask? Did you muggle my cache?

For contacting the last to find, I usually ask about the cache's condition when they left it, if there was anyone around, if they had noticed any problems/weird smells, etc. And if they had talk to anyone about it and heard anything since they logged it. And I've been able to track down information about cache problems that way before.

No, I do not expect that 2 teams would wreak havoc. I was merely extrapolating the game a few months into the furure. IF it takes off then you end up having to deal with these issues. Kinda like GC.Com has to deal with issues they didn't expect when this was a small sport. I guess I should have just left it with being leery of the idea. *sigh*

As for folks who log team stuff as individuals as well as for their team: So far I haven't encountered anyone who does that. Either they log as themselves (or in my case two people using the same login) or they log as their team, noting in their log which members were present. And when the other members do try that particular cache, they post a note showing which members they were. I haven't encountered anyone who logs as TEAM X as well as JohnDoe at the same time. I am sure there are folks who do that but why, I don't know. It is not the way I play the game. Play it your way until our ways come into conflict, then we can work something out.

Again, I stated that I was leery of the idea. Not that I was totally against it.

-J

Jamethiel, No disrespect intended but I have to disagree.

No, I don't blame the last to find, but I do CONTACT them.

I'm sure it will be quite obvious who the individual is that found the cache. For example I would write:

"JMBella logging for Team-A. Found right where it was supposed to be. Cache was in fine condition, thanks"

So you would contact me if there was a problem.

Hypotheticals aside, I believe that the double logging is what is truly what I am worried about. Not only is the site already hammered with regular people logging finds, but then we would increase the # of finds being logged by certain people, increasing their own frustration.
from the "about geocaching" page:

As of today, there are 115321 active caches in 209 countries.

In the last 7 days, there have been 72087 new logs written by 14951 account holders.

I think I can be very confident in saying a few extra logs won't effect the site in the least.

If, of the last 5 logs, two are from the same person, I've potentially lost some information that would be handy to have for finding that cache.

You could say that for anybody, not just a comp team log. You'll always miss that 6th log whether it's an individual or a team that logs the last find. What if the last finder just said: TNLNSL. Well that certainly didn't help you did it? You wouldn't delete any log that doesn't have info on the nearest restaurant of whether or not there's mud on the trail.

If I had a puzzle cache and put a piece in your cache, without asking your permission, would you maybe get miffed when folks log notes on your cache saying that they revisited it while doing my puzzle.

What's to get miffed about? Where's the problem? Besides why would someone write a note on my cache page?

How about we let everything go and if you want to play post on this thread. If you don't move onto another thread so people interested don't have to wade thru arguments and whatnot. Can't we all just get along? :o

From a cache reviewerand forum mod standpoint I can see this creating a lot of problems and would love to see it logged elsewhere not as double logs. I handle enough problems with log complaints as it is without adding to them. Please consider a different way to log the finds than a double log. The potential abuse is something your friendly neighborhood reviewers do not have the time to deal with. Cache owners can delete double logs if they want to. It the least please contact the owner before attempting to double log a cache.

Perhaps that will be the solution. if a cache owner is contacted and they agree to the double log then there isnt a problem.

No, I don't blame the last to find, but I do CONTACT them. Who is in charge of watching for e-mails for the teams, and responding to them? I'm going to go look at the logs for this team and see that they've logged finds ALL over the place, on the same day and wonder. I would hope that some where on the team's page there is a list of the members and an explanation of the game they are playing. But if there isn't I would really start wondering.

Hypotheticals aside, I believe that the double logging is what is truely what I am worried about. Not only is the site already hammered with regular people logging finds, but then we would increase the # of finds being logged by certain people, increasing their own frustration.

And I do use the logs and the 5 logs in a PQ is very important to me. I travel for work, and usually the first time I've seen a cache page is when I look it up in a PQ. If, of the last 5 logs, two are from the same person, I've potentially lost some information that would be handy to have for finding that cache. Or about a nifty restaurant nearby, or good parking area, or neat store to visit. Or the DNF 4 people back that mentioned the police showing up after 6 pm and towing their car. I just don't think that double logging is the best way to play. I certainly would consider it rude that you are playing a game and posting something on my cache about it when you haven't given me the option of not participating (or of joining and playing myself).

If I had a puzzle cache and put a piece in your cache, without asking your permission, would you maybe get miffed when folks log notes on your cache saying that they revisited it while doing my puzzle. (Some folks around here sure would!)

The cache leagues are quiet about their game. And the SGPS scoring system is ignorable if you don't want to play. I just think that while this game has merit, playing it without double logging would be preferable.

-J

What about a group of cachers that cache together and tell the same story five times?!?!?!? It's the same thing!!

I respect everyones complaints (there sure are a lot tof them) but will anyone step up and friggin make a web page for this game!!??

Puttin my 2 cents in when every ones trying to make a dollar out of 98 cents

Please add ours to the DNF list.

Mopar

Geo Ho

MoHo

We hide caches for many reasons. For a nice view, to introduce people to an unknown park, to give travelers a rest, or to give experienced cachers a chance to challenge themselves. We don't hide them to be competitive.

Geocaching is not set up to be a competitive sport. How can it be except under controlled conditions? Different areas have different conditions. Last weekend I hiked all day to find 4 caches. The weekend before, in a different state, I found over 40 in the same timespan. It's like running an auto race where Kias are racing against Porches.

Lastly, I hide my caches for the users of geocaching.com. I don't cross-post them anywhere else, and I don't want them listed on other caching sites.

This league stuff is not part of gc.com, it's not sanctioned by gc.com, and historically gc.com disapproves of competitive geocaching. When there is a cache league section on gc.com, then I'll reconsider. Until then, my initial post stands. As the cache owner I am the judge, jury, and executioner. Logs on my caches for non-geocaching.com purposes may be deleted.

From a cache reviewer and forum mod standpoint I can see this creating a lot of problems and would love to see it logged elsewhere not as double logs. I handle enough problems with log complaints as it is without adding to them. Please consider a different way to log the finds than a double log. The potential abuse is something your friendly neighborhood reviewers do not have the time to deal with. Cache owners can delete double logs if they want to. It the least please contact the owner before attempting to double log a cache.

Perhaps that will be the solution. if a cache owner is contacted and they agree to the double log then there isnt a problem.

I will respect that CO since it's the only legitamit reason anyone has offered. It sure beats the " But I don't waaaant doubles logs on my caaaaches" whine. All the other variables that have been mentioned don't hold water.

Mopar, While I don't agree with you, I know you well enough to respect your opinion and wishes as well. I still don't see how it actually effects you but then again, I suppose I don't need to.

krn187, It seems there are enough people that would object to playing the game this way so maybe we should think of another way or just join the already established cache league. Just MHO but this is your idea so what do you think?

sorry guys great idea but too many wobbles..good luck with the league..I'm out

Not so fast. I'll be happy to start a team on cacheleague.com. KRN, if you would like to be team capt. that's fine too just let me know. We need at least 7 players to be competative or a maximum of 10. So who wants some?

So let me get this straight. I have a team of say 5 cachers. Each one of those cachers hides 5 lame drive and dump caches. Everyone on the team goes with them and logs them as finds, So the team I’m on has credit for 125 finds?

This is all we need so we get more caches placed that bring you to that great “Walmart” parking lot you never knew was there.

So let me get this straight. I have a team of say 5 cachers. Each one of those cachers hides 5 lame drive and dump caches. Everyone on the team goes with them and logs them as finds, So the team I’m on has credit for 125 finds?

This is all we need so we get more caches placed that bring you to that great “Walmart” parking lot you never knew was there.

Here are the game rules as per cacheleague.com: Game Rules

This has been around for a while and I don't know if it's responsible for lame roadside micros but I suppose it's very posible.

sorry guys great idea but too many wobbles..good luck with the league..I'm out

Not so fast. I'll be happy to start a team on cacheleague.com. KRN, if you would like to be team capt. that's fine too just let me know. We need at least 7 players to be competative or a maximum of 10. So who wants some?

again count me in.

So this already exists? It already works? Why is anyone trying to re-invent the wheel?

It exists. If it works or not.......

Well, lets just say from the grumblings I've heard about some of the things people do to get extra points there, I'm glad it hasn't hit my area yet (and yes, I do check).

To the masses please hold on a minute. Sorry I have not been with you for the last few hours. A friend was in need, got in some deep trouble and needed someone to staighten his thought process out. Back on topic...........Was this topic about looking for people who want to be competitive amongst each other, yes. Was it about making lame caches, no. And I say that with whole heart.NO. I was looking to make a game within the game. This is not Cacheleague or anything else. It was a friendly competition and that was all. I was not trying to piss anyone off by doing this. At this point if you are pissed off, there is nothing I can do about it. I have posted this a bunch of times...........If you don't want to play then walk away. If this is not your bag then let it be. We are not hurting anyone, anything, or any caches. If you want your caches not hit then let me know. I don't understand why you don't and don't want to know why. It is none of my business. Everyone here on Geocaching.com has a different reason they play. Some people use it to get off the couch. Some use it because they never had hobby and finally found one. Some people have a multitude of reasons they do this. And yes some found something they are good at and maybe some of you can not understand this.....Some folks may have never had something they are good at and dang it they want their time to shine. Even if it is in their own eyes. We all piss each other off in one way or another by what we do. If we didn't we wouldn't be human. I like what I like and you like what you like. I am not going to justify competitiveness here but everyone at one time has been and you need to think back and understand. IF YOU DON'T WANT YOUR CACHES HIT, THEN LET ME KNOW. I WILL MAKE DARN SURE THEY ARE NOT. MAKE A LIST THAT IS FINE. IT IS NOT GONNA STOP COMPETITIVENESS IF THEIR IS ENOUGH PEOPLE TO PLAY. NOBODY ON HERE HOLDS A MAJORITY OF CACHES THAT YOU CAN STOP THIS FROM HAPPENING, AND IF YOU ARE HELL BENT ON TRYING I WILL OBLIGE YOU AND LET EVERYONE KNOW NOT TO HIT YOUR CACHES. MAKE A LIST AND I WILL POST IT. I had been working on a way to get around the people who were against this but you know what anymore I am not bending over for whining. I will do the right thing and post the people's caches who don't want them hit.

This thread was for anyone interested not who is not, so if you are interested let me know if you are not don't bother posting you are wasting valuable web space. If you don't want your caches hit post once we are not stupid and will get the point.

Now back on topic who wants in on either team a or b. Post your interest. And like I said no more negative just positive even if you don't want your caches hit all you have to say is don't hit my caches.

Edited by krn187

A composite list of caches banned from hitting by Mopar, Geoho, Moho, and the leprachaun

(1.5/1.5) 25 Feb '04 Highland Woods, Too by Mopar (GCHRFN)

New Jersey 16 Jul 04

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(2.5/1) 31 Aug '03 (Not At) Millville Airfield by Mopar (GCGTRP)

New Jersey 15 Feb 04

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(1.5/1.5) 29 Jun '03 Don't Assume I'm Pink by Mopar (GCGCG4)

New Jersey 10 Jul 04

(2/1.5) 21 Jun '03 Here Comes the Sun (Crush and Trauma Junkie by FroSkiDawgMo (GCGB65)

New Jersey

(1.5/1) 1 Jun '03 Lucas Lake by Mopar (GCFEFD)

New Jersey 08 Apr 04

(1/1) 21 Feb '02 A Cache For A Queen by Mopar (GC3C26)

New Jersey 06 Jul 04

(3/4.5) 6 Jan '02 Revenge On The King by Mopar (GC310D)

New Jersey 11 Jan 04

(1/1) 30 Dec '01 Edison's Edification by JLOUISMAN(adopted by Mopar) (GC2EF5)

New Jersey 01 Aug 04

(2/1.5) 16 Dec '01 Highland Woods by Mopar (GC2CE5)

New Jersey 18 May 03

(1/1) 27 Jul '01 Six feet OVER?! by map-man (GC12EC)

New Jersey

(2/1) 17 Jul '04 Along came a spider by Geo Ho (GCK0HW)

Connecticut 5 days ago*

(2.5/1.5) 17 Jul '04 Chuckle-licious Apple Tart by Geo Ho (GCK0HK)

Connecticut 18 Jul 04

(1/1) 15 Feb '04 St. Valentines Day M.A.S.S.A.C.R.E.! by Planet for Geo Ho (GCHGJ4)

Connecticut 15 Feb 04

(2.5/1.5) 10 Jan '04 I Like Ike . . . but bugs are tasty, too! by Geo Ho (with Mopar) (GCHFHT)

Connecticut 31 Jul 04

(2.5/1.5) 8 Jan '04 Was ever woman in this humour woo'd? by Geo Ho (with Mopar in tow) (GCHFKR)

Connecticut 19 Jun 04

(2.5/2) 10 Nov '03 Shhhh!!! Do it on the QT by Geo Ho (GCH70C)

Connecticut 3 days ago*

(3/1.5) 5 Oct '03 George's Song of the Wave by Geo Ho (GCH0PD)

Connecticut 03 Jul 04

(2/2.5) 9 Aug '03 Beetle at Boothe by Geo Ho (GCGM1Y)

Connecticut 2 days ago*

(2/2) 8 May '03 Craps by Geo Ho (GCG2WP)

Connecticut 30 May 04

(2.5/2) 27 Apr '03 Lanes Mine by Geo Ho (GCG0VF)

Connecticut 22 Jul 04

(2/2.5) 27 Apr '03 Blue Canoe Cache by Geo Ho (GCG0V8)

Connecticut 21 Jul 04

(3/2) 12 Apr '03 Crow's Nest by Geo Ho (GCF746)

Connecticut 26 Jun 04

(3.5/1.5) 6 Apr '03 Stratford Trolley Line by Geo Ho (GCF419)

Connecticut 06 Jul 04

(2/1) 29 Mar '03 Quick Silver by Geo Ho (GCEE5F)

Connecticut 27 Jul 04

(1/1) 23 Mar '03 Bethlehem Steel by Geo Ho (GCEAE1)

Pennsylvania 06 Aug 04

(3/2.5) 18 Mar '03 Hey! Leggo my Eggo by Geo Ho (GCE797)

Connecticut 18 Jul 04

(1/1) 18 Jan '03 Boothe Memorial Micro by Geo Ho (GCC5C6)

Connecticut 19 May 03

(2/1) 12 Jan '03 Shakespeare in the Park by Geo Ho (GCC303)

Connecticut 15 Nov 03

(2/1) 8 Dec '02 I Like Ike (and jellybeans, too) by Geo Ho (GCB2A4)

Connecticut

(1/1) 11 Aug '04 Wings & Beer Night by the local cachers (GCJ71Q)

Connecticut 7 days ago*

(1/1) 26 Apr '04 Barefoot In The Park-N-Ride by Geo Ho & Mopar (GCJA0R)

Connecticut 4 days ago*

(3/3) 25 Apr '04 Planet MoHo by Planet, Mopar, and Geo Ho (GCHWFT)

Connecticut 08 Aug 04

(3/1.5) 9 Jan '04 Orange you glad? by Geo Ho and Mopar (A MoHo Collaboration) (GCHF4X)

Connecticut 01 Aug 04

(1/1.5) 21 Dec '03 Rest Stop GSP (North) Vauxhall by MoHo (A Mopar / Geo Ho Collaboration) (GCHC9Z)

New Jersey 3 days ago*

(1.5/1) 24 Oct '03 George's Beautiful Land by Geo Ho and Mopar (A MO-HO collaboration) (GCH472)

Connecticut 4 days ago*

(1.5/1) 11 Oct '03 Banton Street by Geo Ho and Mopar (A MO-HO collaboration) (GCH1W0)

Connecticut 4 days ago*

(1.5/3.5) 12 Nov '01 "The Falls" at Uncas Leap by GeoLax (Maintained by the MoHo adoption agency) (GC27E0)

Connecticut

(2/1) 30 Nov '03 The Elves are Easily Overlooked by The Leprechauns (GCHA3T)

Pennsylvania 17 Jul 04

(3/1.5) 30 Nov '03 The Elves Tour the World's Shortest Nature Trail by The Leprechauns (GCHA3J)

Pennsylvania 08 Aug 04

(4.5/1.5) 30 Nov '03 The Elves Magnify a Microcache by The Leprechauns (GCHA3Q)

Pennsylvania 17 Jul 04

(2.5/1) 30 Nov '03 The Elves Cache Quickly in Sewickley by The Leprechauns (GCHA3W)

Pennsylvania 24 Apr 04

(1.5/1) 30 Nov '03 The Elves Visit Neville Ireland by The Leprechauns (GCHA3X)

Pennsylvania 29 Apr 04

(4/2) 30 Nov '03 Revenge of the Elves by The Leprechauns (GCHA3K)

Pennsylvania 08 Aug 04

(3/3) 3 Aug '03 The Elves are Easily Bribed by The Leprechauns (GCGK0R)

Pennsylvania 27 Jul 04

(2.5/1) 27 Jul '03 The Elves are Inclined to be Evil by The Leprechauns (GCGHJY)

Pennsylvania 06 Jul 04

(3/1.5) 5 Jun '03 The Elves Go Directly to Jail by The Leprechauns (GCG7YZ)

Pennsylvania 2 days ago*

(1.5/3) 26 Apr '03 Elves in the Vortex by The Leprechauns (GCFA30)

Pennsylvania 3 days ago*

(2/2) 26 Apr '03 Earth Day Cleanup at Raccoon Creek Park by The Leprechauns (GCE2F1)

Pennsylvania 28 Apr 03

(3/3) 26 Apr '03 Eeny Meenie Miney Elves by The Leprechauns (GCFA2D)

Pennsylvania 3 days ago*

(3/3.5) 26 Apr '03 The Elves Tree a Raccoon by The Leprechauns (GCFA2F)

Pennsylvania 3 days ago*

(2/2.5) 26 Apr '03 The Elves Ride an Appaloosa by The Leprechauns (GCFA31)

Pennsylvania 3 days ago*

(2.5/2.5) 13 Apr '03 The Elves Launch a Rocket to the Moon by The Leprechauns (GCF87E)

Pennsylvania Today*

(2.5/3) 22 Mar '03 Elves in the Fast Lane by The Leprechauns (GCA9D4)

Pennsylvania 28 Jul 04

(2/2) 22 Mar '03 Unchained Elves: The Keychain Cache by The Leprechauns (GCE9EF)

Pennsylvania 2 days ago*

(1/1) 17 Nov '02 Web-enabled Elves by The Leprechauns (GCA9DA)

Pennsylvania 18 Apr 03

(3/2.5) 10 Nov '02 Elves Been Workin' on the Trail Road by The Leprechauns (GCA68E)

Pennsylvania 02 Aug 04

(2.5/1) 16 Oct '02 Elves on the Riverfront by The Leprechauns (GC9C88)

Pennsylvania

(4/2.5) 21 Aug '02 Elves in the Heights by The Leprechauns (GC8294)

Pennsylvania 08 Aug 04

(2/2) 1 Aug '02 Elves in the Forest by The Leprechauns (GC791E)

Pennsylvania 08 Aug 04

(3/3) 15 Jul '02 Frisbee Fun by The Leprechauns (originally by PA Bug Troop) (GC71C1)

Pennsylvania 07 Aug 04

(2.5/3) 17 Nov '01 Schenley1 by The Leprechauns (originally placed by jaxmeier) (GC2888)

Pennsylvania

It seems fairly simple. 1: as was already suggested, just use the players logs, no need for a 'team' account and therefor no double logs (are Mopar et al satisfied with that?). 2: count each cache only once per team, even if more than one person from a team has found it. 3: finds on a fellow team members cache do not count in the competition. 2 & 3 should stop most abuse.

Having to sift through what's becoming quite a lengthy list of caches to see if we can log them is not too appealing.

We need another place on the web to keep track. If I can figure out how to make it work I can add a page to my ligeocaching page for it.

In the mean time I'm trying to get a team together for the fall season on cache league. I like competition, I'll do both.

Since TPTB have said many times they do not want to see the website used for competition (hence the lack of competitive stats), why not honor that? Create www.competicaching.com or something, with caches hid specifically for that?

At the very least, since this competition is NOT part of geocaching.com, and none of the existing cache owners have ever agreed to allow their caches to be used in a non-gc.com activity, it should be opt-in. You should be making a list of caches that are specifically ALLOWED to be part of your non-geocaching game, much like the Cache Police Game in Canada does.

You guys want legit reasons why not to do this, I'll give you a couple..

First of all, the site was so busy yesterday - on a weekday - that I couldn't get onto the site and I tried for over half an hour before giving up. The site is swamped already, so lets not add to that.

As long as it takes to log caches, this is just an additional time consuming step that I think is going to put alot of people off of caching. I'm not going to do it because I don't want to have to log extra caches, and I wouldn't be in it for competition, I'd be in it for fun.

Another thing. What about the cache owners? If you get an email every time the cache is found, and you have alot of caches, then what happens when someone from these groups does a bunch of your caches, and you're flooded with emails from the same person logging everything twice? I'd be pissed to say the very least.

I agree with the other people... Put it on a different site and don't double log on GC.com. If I had more caches, I'd say no to doing mine too, but with only two active caches out there, I guess I'll over look this mildly annoying double log for now.

So logging a tb would be a double log? I guess there are a lot of double loggers in this game. On a side note..... Why is it that when people aren't interested they can't just move on and let others try something. They have spoke their mind yet keep coming back to rant. If you don't want to play then don't, but I have taken some suggestions and have changed the idea to try to please some people and even when you change people aren't happy. So I will ask this one last time, anyone who wants to play post, if you don't then move to the next thread and let it go.

There is a lot of interest for so many who say they are not interested.

Edited by krn187
How about each team uses a tb tag to track themselves?  Any objections to that?
:P

I know a few people do that already so I can't see it being a problem.

Sorry you're not getting it, Joe.

I (and others it looks like from my email) object to our geocaches being used for a different game.

Look at letterboxing. It's very similar to geocaching. How do you think letterboxers would feel if you went and marked a waypoint for their boxes and listed the coords here as geocaches?

I happen to feel very strongly that the only competition in geocaching is with yourself, and I also support this listing service over any other. My caches were placed for the users of this site, not for cacheleague or any other game.

Like I said, if you want to make a competiton out of it, go right ahead, but take it someplace else, and keep it to caches that specifically want to be a part of your other game, don't just hijack them for other purposes..

Why is it that when people aren't interested they can't just move on and let others try something.  They have spoke their mind yet keep coming back to rant.  If you don't want to play then don't, but I have taken some suggestions and have changed the idea to try to please some people and even when you change people aren't happy.  So I will ask this one last time, anyone who wants to play post, if you don't then move to the next thread and let it go.

There is a lot of interest for so many who say they are not interested.

HA! Don't you get it? This is an open forum about geocaching for geocachers. The rules of THIS website say if it's you are polite and on topic, you can post. There is nothing in the forum guidelines that say only people that agree with you may post.

Since you propose playing your game with all caches, not just the ones of people who express interest in your game, this topic is open to all of us.

If you don't want geocachers discussing this topic, then don't use geocaches to play your game unless you ask the owner, and lock this thread and take it to a different website.

Edited by Mopar

I'll add my caches to the "no competition" list:

(2/1.5) 3 Aug '04 Vector Cathedral by Team GPSaxophone and Snoogans (GCK63G)

New Mexico 4 days ago*

(1/3.5) 29 May '04 Little Horse Mesa Cache by Team GPSaxophone (GCJH86)

New Mexico 31 Jul 04

(1/3.5) 29 May '04 Opportunity Trail Cache by Team GPSaxophone (GCJH89)

Colorado 31 May 04

(2/1.5) 25 Mar '04 Sax at the Summit by Team GPSaxophone (GCJ0KW)

California 3 days ago*

(1/2.5) 9 Mar '04 H2G2 - The Cache at the End of the Universe by Team GPSaxophone (GCHWJ5)

New Mexico 07 Aug 04

(1.5/1.5) 29 Jul '03 Don't Fall In by Team GPSaxophone (GCGJ2B)

New Mexico 2 days ago*

(1.5/3) 7 Jun '03 Nature's Symphony by Team GPSaxophone (GCG8A9)

New Mexico 25 Jul 04

(1/2.5) 28 May '03 Cabezon Cache by Team GPSaxophone (GCG6EJ)

New Mexico 03 Jul 04

(3/1) 13 May '03 Balance 4 by Team GPSaxophone (GCG3PA)

New Mexico 17 Jul 04

(2.5/1) 3 May '03 Balance 3 by Team GPSaxophone (GCG21H)

New Mexico 17 Jul 04

(2/1.5) 1 Apr '03 Balance by Team GPSaxophone (GCF0D2)

New Mexico 05 Aug 04

(1.5/2) 18 Mar '03 Ventenas Trail Cache by Team GPSaxophone (GCE7A3)

New Mexico 01 Aug 04

(3.5/1) 5 Aug '03 Balanced by Team GPSaxophone (GCGKER)

New Mexico 18 Jul 04

(3.5/1.5) 25 May '03 Balance 5 by Team GPSaxophone (GCG5PX)

New Mexico 05 Aug 04

This is from the faq page

What is Geocaching?

Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and capability of a gps unit. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. All the visitor is asked to do is if they get something they should try to leave something for the cache.

What are the rules in Geocaching?

Geocaching is a relatively new phenomenon. Therefore, the rules are very simple:

1. Take something from the cache

2. Leave something in the cache

3. Write about it in the logbook

I believe from the first questions answer it says....a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. I will let you take that however you like. Mopar I am confused by how what I am doing is a different game. A whole bunch of people are going out and finding caches. We are not doing anything disruptive to them or damaging them. I am not saying these are the caches that have to be found. It is open to the finder to find a cache by them. The only thing that I am doing beyond another geocacher is using basically a personal tb. (which a lot of people already have and use) I respect your feelings on geocaching being a competition with only yourself, but you should also respect my view of caching for competition. I have not tried to force you to cache competitively yet you are trying to force me not to. To take your feelings into consideration I have let anyone know who want to do this not to hit your caches as you object to this, but yet that is not enough for you. I do not understand, why do you keep posting when I have respected your side and have said you need not worry about me or anyone else doing this finding your caches.

I don't believe any hijacking is going on. There are personal rivalries all over geocaching. 2 people in an area trying to find caches first and trying to keep up with each other. Where is the problem with that. Look at almost every first log. It usually says yahoo first to find. That is competitiveness coming out, not only with the cacher but that they beat everyone else to it. I am not trying to sway your view only asking that I have respected yours and told everyone to stay away from your caches and I would like you to respect my views and stop trying to railroad this post. :P

Keenpeople is Opt in only. They only compare folks to others who want to use stats.

And Tb drops/pickups are done with notes, not logs so it probably will be a ton of work to use a TB instead of some other form of upkeep for your team stats. Mainly because you will need to Grab the TB, Drop It in the cache (with a note), then Grab it again so other players don't think the TB is actually there.

Thats 3 steps. Plus your actual log on the cache.

Using a team thread-

Finder logs the cache, then comes in here, maybe to the organized geocaching area, and posts that Team A just found cache GCXXXX. And posts the running total of ### at the bottom of his post.

Just an idea.

-J

One last thing mopar cacheleague uses caches on geocaching.com and anyother listing sites on the web. Mopar, Lep, Sax Capt good luck tracking all the users doing this. You may want to track all the finders of your caches and run a background check on them. :P

J you can drop a bug with your original log and then just take it out no note required.

Edited by krn187
One last thing mopar cacheleague uses caches on geocaching.com and anyother listing sites on the web. Mopar, Lep, Sax Capt good luck tracking all the users doing this.  You may want to track all the finders of your caches and run a background check on them. :P

J you can drop a bug with your original log and then just take it out no note required.

So each member uses their own TB?

If not- What if I'm logging at the same time you are? And I've Grabbed it from you (with a note) then logged the cache, then grabbed it again (a note on the TB page), then logged a cache, then grabbed it again... etc, while you are trying to do the same thing?

Just a thought, which is why I had mentioned the 3 notes thing, I just forgot to be more specific.

-J

Edited by Jamethiel
Question for you sax. I assume you are against people competing against each other geocaching since you have your caches on the do not find list. What I don't understand is why does your profile page show your geocaching rank if you are against competitiveness?

http://www.keenpeople.com/stats/

I track my stats and like the ability to see what others in my area have done without having to put every cache in the state on my watchlist. That's why I use Keenpeople.com. It's the closest thing to Dan's Stats we have available. It is not a competition, never has been.

If I was going to compete, I sure wouldn't live here. There are only 750 caches in the state. There are more than that within 100 miles of Denver. Three times that number within 100 miles of Los Angeles. The "game" proposed in this thread is not a fair competition in any way. It looks to be a "Who can you get to join your team that will be able to find lots of caches in the next 6 months?" Do I have to go caching to "win"? No, I just have to be on the same team as someone who will do it for me.

What does that have to do with people finding your caches? What harm are they doing?

J Each team would have a bug. hypotheticaly a problem could happen but looking back at the tb page would show the log not happening and could be easily corrected.

Sure, I'll jump in at the end.

I think anything that has avid cachers literally telling people not to hunt their caches cannot be good for the sport. I wonder how the 95% of cachers who don't read the boards feel about this, and their caches. I guess what they don't know doesn't hurt them right? IMHO, the only way to go for this idea is to make it such that there is no evidence in folks' cache logs that it exists. "Leave no trace" :P