Anyone Interested

5¢

A thought came to me today and didn't know if anyone would be interested. A little competition between teams. Just for fun / bragging rights of course. The number of teams doesn't matter, but a limit of team members would be a must. Lets just say each team could have 10 members. New accounts get set up for each team and there is a time limit for the most finds 6 months or a year. When a person goes out geocaching they log themself and their team name at the cache. Teams could have members from all over the world. Anyone interested in playing?

I think there is a possible flaw in your idea. For example, I have cleared out a radius of 17 miles from my house which means that newer cachers with fewer finds would have and advantage.

Also, cache density varies tremendously from one section of the country to another. Out here in SE Massachusetts, there are literally hundreds of caches within a 20mile radius, while in some other places, someone would have to drive 20 miles to find the nearest cache.

Come up with a team name, right now I will call my team team a and yours will be team b. For now I will put a limit of 3 teams till they get 10 spots filled. If you want to play please pick a team. Changes can be made later and a start date will be chosen when teams area figured out.

Edited by krn187

I think I'm a little leery of the whole concept. Essentially, you go to a cache and log that not only were you there, but that a "Team" was there as well, even though you are the only person to visit. Then you log twice online for that cache as well. And at the end of 6 months, the "team" with the most caches "wins"?

Is there any reason why you can't just add up the caches found by team members during the six month time period instead of making everyone log all their caches twice?

I have enough trouble logging caches from a long weekend trip once, let alone logging in as another logon in order to sign twice. And as a cache owner, I might be annoyed by someone logging a cache twice, once for themselves, and once for a "team" that has never actually cached together.

I can see this as a fun idea if you just add up folks numbers after 6 months, but since it's not really about the numbers and just for fun, does there really need to be a log for each team on every cache a member visits?

On the plus side, it could really do some weird stuff to the SGPS system here in Montana if a group of us here were to form a team. :)

And what happens if 2 members of the same team go to the same cache? Does the team get one log or two for that one?

Just leery of the idea and wanted to mention my reason's why. I hope you have fun whatever you end up doing.

-J

I figured that team members would not be from the same area so double logging would not come into play. I see your concerns and understand them. This was an idea and only that. Your idea of adding individual totals is good also. I had just thought it would be easier if each team had an account to simplify things.

This is a hypothetical question for me since I'm not a numbers guy, check my stats you'll see :), so I'm probably not a first pick.

What happens if I join a team and re-visit caches I've already logged? I would only log the "Team" find. Or would all my finds have to be new to me?

In talking this over with some other cache owners, I think if this idea takes off in my area you can expect to see something like this start appearing on cache pages:

This cache was hidden to be fun, not as part of a race. Any logs found to be part of an organized competition may be deleted without notice.

Edited by Mopar
This is a hypothetical question for me since I'm not a numbers guy, check my stats you'll see :), so I'm probably not a first pick.

What happens if I join a team and re-visit caches I've already logged? I would only log the "Team" find. Or would all my finds have to be new to me?

I would think they would have to be new finds.

Why would logging a cache under your usual account plus a team account be a problem with anybody?

I don't see why there needs to be a Team account. Why can't the totals of the collective members be used without requiring extra "book work". You'll avoid a lot of potential problems that way.

The way to do it is set up a website with the team rosters and have it automatically report the standings each day. That would be a piece of cake. I'm sure that's how the other league was done.

--Marky

My only question is: WHY?

Why not? Some people like competition.

I still don't see the problem with logging a cache one extra time for the team. It has absolutely no effect on the cache or the cache owner.

I would propose that a cache can only be counted once so a particular cache doesn't get logged more that once for a team.

Edited by JMBella
I still don't see the problem with logging a cache one extra time for the team. It has absolutely no effect on the cache or the cache owner.

As a cache owner, a second "found it" for a fictional team would annoy me. If one person visits, they get one smiley face for their account or their "Team" account (like the hundreds or thousands of Team accounts for families or groups of friends who always go geocaching together). If two people visit and they log separately, that's one smiley for each of them. It's all very simple.

But all of the sudden, someone's going to log once for their personal account and once for a team from a competition? Ewwww. It was the same person visiting the cache just one time.

When I look at a cache page, either online or in a pocket query, I'd prefer to see the five most recent REAL visits from REAL geocachers... not a duplicate log from a fictional team taking up 20% of the available data field.

Also I'd rather not know if my cache is somehow being used in a competition. With the CacheLeague competition, I was blissfully ignorant unless someone happened to mention it in their log. Competition is not why I hid the cache. I rather like Mopar's boldface warning notice.

I'm going to take a different stance than some of the people I admire here.

I would never belong to such a team as you are talking about putting together. However I see nothing wrong with the idea being proposed. I realize that some people don't like the idea of caching in competition, but others do. Why not let them have their fun?

Maybe a little team work for competition would get more people out hunting caches. As long as people hunt caches, I think that is a good thing. Or am I missing something here?

With that being said, I don't believe a team member should be allowed to log a cache that they have already found.

O.k. Lep, and Mopar...let me have it! :o

El Diablo

OK not sure if I will get this all in order so bear with me. I guess theoretically a cache owner would not know that the geocacher and the person logging as a team were the same person. My cache gets visited by more than one person in a day sometimes. There are not going to be 800 teams sweeping the globe so I do not believe it would cause mass headaches for cache owners. The point about having another site to add up all the caches............I don't understand why we can not use the site we have all grown to love. What difference does it make? It only takes a minute to log a cache. I am not thinking I am going to write an epic story about team bla bla finding the cache when I already wrote an epic story of how I slipped in dog doo at the cache when I logged it for myself.

I started this thread as a fun way for like minded to people to join in. I did not start it to get all forum users to join a team and compete against each other. If you like the idea I am offering a way to play. If you don't like the idea then don't badger the ones who do because it doesn't do anything except cause personal flame wars. If you don't want to play or are not interested then lets go our seperate ways as agreeing to disagree.

OK the leps caches are offlimits. For everyones information these are their caches so we do not log them.

(2/1) 30 Nov '03 The Elves are Easily Overlooked by The Leprechauns (GCHA3T)

Pennsylvania 17 Jul 04

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(3/1.5) 30 Nov '03 The Elves Tour the World's Shortest Nature Trail by The Leprechauns (GCHA3J)

Pennsylvania 08 Aug 04

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(4.5/1.5) 30 Nov '03 The Elves Magnify a Microcache by The Leprechauns (GCHA3Q)

Pennsylvania 17 Jul 04

(2.5/1) 30 Nov '03 The Elves Cache Quickly in Sewickley by The Leprechauns (GCHA3W)

Pennsylvania 24 Apr 04

(1.5/1) 30 Nov '03 The Elves Visit Neville Ireland by The Leprechauns (GCHA3X)

Pennsylvania 29 Apr 04

(4/2) 30 Nov '03 Revenge of the Elves by The Leprechauns (GCHA3K)

Pennsylvania 08 Aug 04

(3/3) 3 Aug '03 The Elves are Easily Bribed by The Leprechauns (GCGK0R)

Pennsylvania 27 Jul 04

(2.5/1) 27 Jul '03 The Elves are Inclined to be Evil by The Leprechauns (GCGHJY)

Pennsylvania 06 Jul 04

(3/1.5) 5 Jun '03 The Elves Go Directly to Jail by The Leprechauns (GCG7YZ)

Pennsylvania 2 days ago*

(1.5/3) 26 Apr '03 Elves in the Vortex by The Leprechauns (GCFA30)

Pennsylvania 3 days ago*

(2/2) 26 Apr '03 Earth Day Cleanup at Raccoon Creek Park by The Leprechauns (GCE2F1)

Pennsylvania 28 Apr 03

(3/3) 26 Apr '03 Eeny Meenie Miney Elves by The Leprechauns (GCFA2D)

Pennsylvania 3 days ago*

(3/3.5) 26 Apr '03 The Elves Tree a Raccoon by The Leprechauns (GCFA2F)

Pennsylvania 3 days ago*

(2/2.5) 26 Apr '03 The Elves Ride an Appaloosa by The Leprechauns (GCFA31)

Pennsylvania 3 days ago*

(2.5/2.5) 13 Apr '03 The Elves Launch a Rocket to the Moon by The Leprechauns (GCF87E)

Pennsylvania 03 Aug 04

(2.5/3) 22 Mar '03 Elves in the Fast Lane by The Leprechauns (GCA9D4)

Pennsylvania 28 Jul 04

(2/2) 22 Mar '03 Unchained Elves: The Keychain Cache by The Leprechauns (GCE9EF)

Pennsylvania 2 days ago*

(1/1) 17 Nov '02 Web-enabled Elves by The Leprechauns (GCA9DA)

Pennsylvania 18 Apr 03

(3/2.5) 10 Nov '02 Elves Been Workin' on the Trail Road by The Leprechauns (GCA68E)

Pennsylvania 02 Aug 04

(2.5/1) 16 Oct '02 Elves on the Riverfront by The Leprechauns (GC9C88)

Pennsylvania 4 days ago*

(4/2.5) 21 Aug '02 Elves in the Heights by The Leprechauns (GC8294)

Pennsylvania 08 Aug 04

(2/2) 1 Aug '02 Elves in the Forest by The Leprechauns (GC791E)

Pennsylvania 08 Aug 04

(3/3) 15 Jul '02 Frisbee Fun by The Leprechauns (originally by PA Bug Troop) (GC71C1)

Pennsylvania 07 Aug 04

(2.5/3) 17 Nov '01 Schenley1 by The Leprechauns (originally placed by jaxmeier) (GC2888)

Pennsylvania 09 Aug 04

Edited by krn187

We can agree to disagree?

I'm still leery of the idea. Would much prefer to see a thread under organized geocaching started. One where there is a thread for Team A and a Thread for Team B, and the members post their finds there and keep a running tally going. That way you don't have to have a sockpuppet team account, with everyone having the password, etc and the rest of us can watch or not watch as we wish. Without seeing extra logs on our caches that actually have nothing to do with another finder actually finding it.

My fear:

CacherX logs a cache, leaves a nice note, writes their trades, etc.

CacherX then logs the cache as TEAM XYZZY, writing TEAM LOG FOR TEAM XYZZY.

Cacher K goes to find the cache, it is muggled, left in the open, soggy, full of carp, etc. Cacher K contacts me, tells me that the cache is in above condition. I've never heard of TEAM XYZZY and this competition. The Team gets blamed.

I know most cachers out there don't read the forums. Many do use PQs and the such when traveling. I would be annoyed to see tons of double logs on caches, pushing informational logs off the PQs. (informational- some folks put parking info, slight hints, warnings about mud, bees, urban survivalists, etc in their logs- info I may need!)

I would be more interested if it didn't involve logging stuff under an assumed group account.

-J

I would be annoyed to see tons of double logs on caches, pushing informational logs off the PQs.  (informational- some folks put parking info, slight hints, warnings about mud, bees, urban survivalists, etc in their logs- info I may need!)

I would be more interested if it didn't involve logging stuff under an assumed group account. 

I'm not interested in the contest. If other people want to do it, hey, whatever floats their boats.

I have to agree with Jamethiel. I am against the double logging. I am a paperless-cacher (many thanks to GSAK and Cachemate, btw). Having the last 5 logs available a reference while out on the trail is sometimes helpfull. The second 'team log entry' isn't going to add something useful that wouldn't be already in the individual log. That is going to reduce the functionality of the logs for many people.

One find = one smiley.