I'm Officially A Member Of The "club"

geographer-pam

Ok, ok so it only took me a little over a month after finding out about geocaching to actually make my first finds! I was so nervous about making mistakes! Plus also looking suspicious to muggles!

But today I screwed up my courage, took my new cachemobile (1999 Honda Shadow VLX Deluxe), took my YJTB that I got in the mail plus my "personal TB", some SWAG, my ETREX, the instructions and HIT THE ROAD!!! I selected my first one Follow the Thin Mint Cookies because it looked to be "out of the way" and I hopefully would be all by myself! As it turned out, about five different cars passed me and I just KNEW one would stop and ask what I was doing! Luckily they didn't, I found the cache (WOW - what a rush to peek through the bushes and see the ammo can!!!), carefully marked it's place so I would put it back where it belonged, pulled it out and opened the can! WHAT FUN!

I left there and went to a virtual cache close by Alchemy Cache II - Lighter Than Air and that was neat to "have" to go somewhere I hadn't seen in YEARS. I took a lot of photos (ok, so I'm a scrapbooker too! LOL) and figured out the answers to the questions (all the while learning more about the little ETREX). I went to another regular cache nearby but there were a TON of muggles around and I just KNEW I would attract too much attention so I went to a virtual cache close by my house Panhandle's Fallen and after driving by it about a million times, it was good to have a "reason" to stop!

Ok, so I'm a little giddy about becoming a true "member" of the gc club so please excuse me! :anibad: I just wanted to post that it was SO much fun and I'm looking forward to finding many, many more!!!

pam :wacko:

We're a pretty restrictive club. Only cache finders are allowed.

Nope that's not true geopam - we allow DNFs as well. Shoot, I'm a noobie too (with a DNF under my belt to prove it!) and can surely empathize with your effusive enthusiasm. It doesn't abate - just gets better and better. So many ingenius caches, so much creativity 'round here. Only trouble izzz...

It can become a bit, uh... addictive. You might, errr... never finish that MS in Geography! :anibad:

hello all,

tis' ye olde balde headed archie here,

to me its much more than an addiction, ive become so obsessed now that i go to sleep figuring out locations, means of hiding, types, and what i might find. that is considering if i do goto sleep.

some caches can be spooky, some can be down right creepy, but all in all this is the best way i know to participate in any sport. you have to use your mind and body, a little common sense, and a lillte psychosis to find caches.(velcro is particularly psychotic, you can put a microcache dadgum near anywhere with that stuff!!!).

the health benefits rate very high on my list of reasons to go caching as well.

there is a high level of comaraderie.

the value of getting out of the house and exploring heretofor unknow places and history.

CACHERS ARE DEFINETLY NOT COUCH POTATOES!!!!!

if you need help or information its readily available. just go into the forums.

welcome to geocaching!!!!

regards

archie

I was so nervous about making mistakes!  Plus also looking suspicious to muggles!

I looked like a complete dipstick my first time out. Urban park with one little clump of trees, and I had to bushwhack right through the middle of it. Fell down, got muddy, all scratched up with briars, in a patch of wilderness not much bigger than my yard. And I have a small yard. See, I was going where that arrow was pointing. The learning curve goes pretty quick after you realize you can go 'round the hazard and come back from the other side :(

Good on you!

Your life will never be the same. Now you'll find yourself thinking, "Wow, that would be a great place to hide a cache", as you drive by places you've seen for years. It's even more fun once you start hiding them. Just take note of all the ones you find so you have a good idea on how to do your first one.

Don't worry about DNF's. I'm new to this too and already have a couple.

Also, welcome to the boards.

We too have joined the club! Found my first cache two weeks ago, or I should say my 11 year old daughter who was with me actually found it.

Working on our first multi-cache. Every time we get in the van now my 7 year old daughter gets all excited and asks, hey dad, can we go geocaching after we go to the store!

Cant wait to place a cache of our own!

Edited by Cache Rabbits
Every time we get in the van now my 7 year old daughter gets all excited and asks, hey dad, can we go geocaching after we go to the store!

Goody....get the victims (er, I mean recruits) while they're young. :):)

She will soon forget that there was a time when caching was not a part of her life. A new generation of cachers is born. :lol:

Cool! Glad you had fun!

Some topics on scrapbooking (not a scrapbooker myself):

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...11&hl=scrapbook

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...75&hl=scrapbook

Hope these give you some ideas - you can do your own search by clicking the search button (atb_search.gif) above and typing in whatever keywords work for you...

Good luck, cache safe and HAVE FUN!

WTG geo-pam! Welcome to the addiction. Your life will never be the same as has already been pointed out.

Just remember the words of the most famous of the Marx's (no you eggheads not Karl but Groucho): "I would never be a member of a club that would have me as a member." B);)B)

See, I'm not really a geocacher-I just play one online. B)