Geocaching Name(s)

3 Blondes & Me

I have been geocaching less than a year using a 'team' name and want to begin using a moniker of my own. Now my question . . . the name I am interested in is 'taken' on geocaching.com. When I look up information about the use of the name it was registered in mid-2001, the last login date was about a month after it was registered, and there is only a single benchmark registered to the name. Are names ever released? Any suggestions on how to get the name I am interested in? Or should I just give it up and try some variant? Normally, I wouldn't have given it a second thought but if it isn't being used I wouldn't mind having it . . . thoughts?

To the best of my knowledge, no, names are never "released". It would screw with the history of things, even if it is just that one lonely benchmark in the case of the name you want. Other names, releasing them, would require deleting finds from caches, messing up the history of the cache. Go for a variant of what you wanted, or something entirely different.

Hi Philipp

Go ahead set up the account. I have released the username 'Karin'.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Nate

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Original Message Follows:

------------------------

Subject: New Account

Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 13:44:42 +0200

Hi

My girlfriend wanted to set-up a new player account and therefore wanted

to

use her name -Karin- but this account (

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/Default....0a-31aeecfd8888

) already exist although it has never been used. Is it possible to

deactivate the existing account so my girlfriend can sign-up with the

username "Karin"?

Thanks

Philipp

New account can be found here: http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=258795

Edited by teamguzbach.org

in addition to the above modifications to the name you want - if there is a space already you can change it to an underline or dash or plus -

apparently they DO realease names as was posted above - interesting!

maybe ask the super user(s) here in and see what you can get - make a posting similar to this under the gc.com forum - and good luck

in addition to the above modifications to the name you want - if there is a space already you can change it to an underline or dash or plus -

apparently they DO realease names as was posted above - interesting!

maybe ask the super user(s) here in and see what you can get - make a posting similar to this under the gc.com forum - and good luck

My understanding is that they do release the names if ASKED, and the name is found to be unused.

Using spaces will work, but we had to change our name from woof & lulu to woof n lulu because the new program for the forums has trouble with symbols.

Email TPTB and make your request...that is all you can do if you do not want to use a different path.

lulu

My understanding is that they do release the names if ASKED, and the name is found to be unused.

I added the bold above, and I think it's the key part.

In this case, the name wasn't unused. Granted it was only 1 benchmark, but it was used.

What they said.

Only the site admins can give you a straght answer but the only case I know of the name was non used. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if known sock puppets with bogus finds were released. Though that might be easier said than done.

Using spaces will work, but we had to change our name from woof & lulu to woof n lulu because the new program for the forums has trouble with symbols.

How long ago was that? So far, I've not run into any problems.

When this program format was first put into place....I guess about a year ago...they might have the bugs worked out....no biggy... :anibad: