Up To Date Topo Map Cd's?

The Wit

I would like to purchase some MapSend CD's from my local Boaters World. They do not seem to sell very many of these and the box is faded from sitting on the shelf. There faded from the lights, not the sun.

Is there a way to make sure there the latest ones?

Or is this not an issue because the maps don't change?

Hi,

I have the Mapsend Topo map. I bought it last year, and it is at least 5 years out of date (possibly more). I emailed Magellan about updates and never got a decent reply. The impression I got is that they don't update it, and don't plan on it, since they came out with a new program (don't remember the name, but it doesn't have topo features....just maps).

Someone is welcome to refute this. I would love to know that I can get updates, but I'm not counting on it (and disappointed).

Mike

The current MapSend Topo version is 4.20d. The only changes from 3.0x (or whatever it was) was the addition of direct SD card support and some enhanced track display capabilities. So if you are getting a good price, I wouldn't be overly concerned about the older version as there are simple workarounds for using an SD card. It's also likely (though I don't know for sure) that Magellan would issue you a free upgrade CD if you ended up buying the older version.

It is based upon the public-domain TIGER database, which is pretty old. This doesn't affect the top features much, but the street data does look long in tooth. There have been a number of complaints about accuracy in this regard, though it seems to vary by geographic area (in the Gettysburg area I find Topo to be pretty accurate). For the most up-to-date street data, DirectRoute is much preferable. I use both the programs, but if you were getting just one I would recommend DR over Topo unless you really wanted the topo data.

Magellan might be planning an upgrade, but they are pretty tight-lipped about developments so I wouldn't bet on it. The TIGER database itself is undergoing updating, but I am told it is a long term project (i.e., it may take something like 10 years or more).

It is based upon the public-domain TIGER database, which is pretty old.  This doesn't affect the top features much, but the street data does look long in tooth.

Come here, you'll change your mind on that. Road construction in this area has changed the topography, and current work is doing even more.

The TIGER database itself is undergoing updating, but I am told it is a long term project (i.e., it may take something like 10 years or more).

And when that's done 10 years from now, it's be "current" as of 2004, probably......