Library Cache Idea...

in the near future, i plan to make a puzzle cache in which the co-ords take you to a local library, and from there, you have to find a book on geocaching (i'm thinking "idiots guide to geocaching"), and sign the log, a sheet of paper glued to/somehow stuck inside the book. (one thing that makes the cache difficult is that you only get the co-ords... nothing else beyond that. hopefully, once you get to the library, common sense will kick in, and you'll start looking for something to sign, possibly even in the book on geocaching.)

i have thought about this idea for a while, and i have thought of a few things i have to do before then...

1. i obviously have to buy the book, especially since there is almost no chance the library already has the book.

2. i have to talk to a worker in the library (probably someone high up in the ranks) and ask them if its okay to plant the cache in the library. once i get an approval, i would donate the book, with the log sheet inside, to the library for usage.

3. it might be necessary for me to do this one as well... granted, it is a library book, someone is probably going to try to check out the thing. it might be necessary to make sure that the book can NOT be borrowed and removed from the library for any reason... otherwise, the cache risks damage or extinction.

4. dont know if i need this... it might also help if library workers knew that there is a reason that person is writing in that book in pen... :rolleyes:

i have the thing pretty well planned out... but what do you think? am i missing anything? things to change in the plan?

A cache in my area is setup similarly. Without giving much away, the log book was very thin and inserted inside the back cover of a book that *nobody* has checked out in years (or is going to check out). It was a book already established in the library and in a corner where you could sign (with a pen you bring yourself) in high secrecy.

To prevent the book from being checked out you could request that it be placed into the "Reference" stacks. My guess is that the library will help you, they like getting people through the doors.

Our local library tapes a large sheet of paper into the back of books allowing people to sign, initial, or make a personal note to themselves so that they know they have read the book. Recently they have started adding several questions allowing readers to rate the book and recommend others. Around here nobody would think twice if they saw you writing in the back of a book.

MC

The library caches that I have done are:

1) A magnetic key case stuck under the lip of the metal shelf.

2) A VHS case stuck between two back-to-back shelf units. The units did not butt up against each other and the back of each shelf was only about five inches high, so the cache was resting on the floor between the bottom shelves.

3) One of those blank books with a false dewey-decimal number and a geocaching related title. I like this one the best.

4) A card stuck in the back of an obscure book.

5) A multi-cache, all in the library, that ended up with the logbook in one of those big flat drawers that they keep maps in.

On the "permission" subject:

* There was one library cache that was removed when a librarian found it and didn't know what it was. Although there is now another cache at that library, the first one was never put back there.

* Two of our local cachers are librarians who became interested when someone approached them for permission to hide a library cache.

If you would like a link to any of these caches, e-mail or PM me. Posting the link here might be too close to being a spoiler.

There is a library cache in my area where the owner had "made" a book about geocaching that explained what it was and had some other info in it. It was placed in the reference section so it couldn't be checked out. It had a call number and was probably in the card catalog! (the first step of the multi was a brass disk that had the call number on it that was outside the library--you then had to find that book using the call number.)

I think all the librarians know it is there (it is a small library). In fact, I wrote something down wrong on a previous step of the multi and asked the librarian for help. She knew exactly what I was talking about.

I did one once, that the coords led you to a marker outside the door. At that marker you got a number or two. Then the cache page said to go inside and look for a map on the wall, where you got the rest of the numbers you needed. You had to figure out that the numbers you got were dewey decimal numbers for a book. I forget what the cover of the book said, but it was something obscure that nobody would really look at anyway. When you went to open the book, only the top cover, and first page moved, the rest were glued together, with a big hollow cut out of the middle of the pages, allowing space for a logbook, pen, and some small trade items. It was one of those big, thick books, so the hollowed out space worked quite well. Oh, and I'm sure a cache like this would work much better if you have the library staff "in the loop". I'm pretty sure the owner of the one I did had permission from the library to do it this way.

There's a Library Cache placed in our area that is alot of fun. The initial coordinates take you to a spot outside where you find a number (dewey decimal #). To anyone not looking for the cache, it looks like an obscure number thats just part of the sign. Note the number, go into the library, find the book, then sign the logsheet in the card holder inside the book. This was in a reference book that never gets checked out, of course! :anibad: Fun cache!!!

in the near future, i plan to make a puzzle cache in which the co-ords take you to a local library ...  hopefully, once you get to the library, common sense will kick in ... what do you think? am i missing anything?

I don't think you're missing anything. Obviously you've thought through most of the problems with the hide, especially getting permission. OTOH, you are expecting cachers who are seeking your book to have that most uncommon of senses...

:anibad:

I really like this idea. It would be fun to do a multi-cache that brings cachers to several interesting historical buildings/sites that we have here in our town, and then lead them inside the library. I'm friendly with the children's librarian because we spend a lot of time there. Why not buy two of the Geocaching for Dummies books, one for circulation, and one for reference (and as a log book). It's for a good cause (both the library and geocaching). I'll have to think this one through a bit more. It would be a fun project for the winter. So, thanks for the idea, and good luck with yours.

in the near future, i plan to make a puzzle cache in which the co-ords take you to a local library ...  hopefully, once you get to the library, common sense will kick in ... what do you think? am i missing anything?

I don't think you're missing anything. Obviously you've thought through most of the problems with the hide, especially getting permission. OTOH, you are expecting cachers who are seeking your book to have that most uncommon of senses...

:(

thanks to everyone who responded... i think i might buy two copies, one for circulation. if a cacher picks up that one and looks for the cache, i could write on the inside cover, "did you check upstairs yet?" (the reference section)

but i had to quote this post above... common sense should really be kinda easy, since (1), the co-ords are at a library, (2), the title would be "go read a book!", and (3), i really dont have a 3. but once you get there, it'll be kinda obvious.

I just wanted to post a quick thank you to everyone who offered advice in this thread. Though I didn't post the orginal questions, I too was working on a library cache and it's finally done and just waiting to be approved. The name is "Among Dead Trees" and the number is GCM140. Hopefully it will be approved soon. I was able to get permission from the library and they were eager to help out.

Edit: It's been approved: Among Dead Trees

Edited by Sallad

Here is mine. I think it is the only cache I own where every log is a glowing review.The Legend of Monkeybrad

I went the hollowed out book with room for trade items route. It is in the historical research room and looks completely real, even down to the liner notes. The GC number is even hidden in the barcode for the book. The book is "The Legend of Monkeybrad" by Johnathan G. O'Cacher.

11eda4b0-59b0-4f13-a652-23b4553c8eb5.jpg

Since this is the flat file that I printed from, you have to imagine it wrapped around a book, but you get the idea.

Edit: to add picture.

Edited by Monkeybrad

:huh:

thanks to everyone who responded... i think i might buy two copies, one for circulation. if a cacher picks up that one and looks for the cache, i could write on the inside cover, "did you check upstairs yet?" (the reference section)

but i had to quote this post above... common sense should really be kinda easy, since (1), the co-ords are at a library, (2), the title would be "go read a book!", and (3), i really dont have a 3. but once you get there, it'll be kinda obvious.

I'm glad you clarified this because in your OP you mentioned nothing about any clue on how to proceed. Do you go inside? Do you check the bushes? Do you check the sprinkler heads? You could get someone in a lot of trouble.

The way it was originally presented it would be like telling someone to show up at a Walmart and expecting them to know how to proceed. I know most people would have been looking under each lamp post around.

You've always got to have some clue on how to proceed even if it is extremely obscure. I like your title clue. It's a nice start.

EDITED TO ADD: it might be slick to get as accurate coords as you can for the book itself and make it a traditional. Figuring out how to get signal would be part of the challenge.

Edited by CoyoteRed
You've always got to have some clue on how to proceed even if it is extremely obscure.  I like your title clue.  It's a nice start.

It doesn't take much to nudge people in the right direction. My local library cache has about the least descriptive cache page I've ever composed, but nobody has had any trouble figuring out what to do.

Yeah, I like when a hider uses everything at their disposal to gives little hints. We've got one local that everything on the cache page gets analyzed because little nudges are everywhere.

Edited by CoyoteRed
From a former library worker, seeking employment in the same area once I move, I want to thank you all for encouraging people to get into their local libraries! And of course, you've given me some wonderful ideas for future caches!

Paula <_<

No Paula, thank YOU. I am an avid reader today for two reasons. One, dear old Mom read to me. Two, "story time" at the local library during the summer was much fun!

I sincerely wish the local hiders would place a cache at my hometown library!

I'd make sure the book was placed in the "reference" setcion so that it acn't be checked out.

Why not have the cachers solve another puzzle that gives them the shelf # or the filing number of the book itself.

The cachers get to the library and decode their clue and go "gee it says shelf # sos and so or reference # whatever, maybe I better go inside"

From a former library worker, seeking employment in the same area once I move, I want to thank you all for encouraging people to get into their local libraries!  And of course, you've given me some wonderful ideas for future caches!

Paula <_<

No Paula, thank YOU. I am an avid reader today for two reasons. One, dear old Mom read to me. Two, "story time" at the local library during the summer was much fun!

I sincerely wish the local hiders would place a cache at my hometown library!

Aww, thank you Joefrog! I love reading and encouraging others to give it a try when they wouldn't normally do so. And, yeah, I used to be the Storytime lady. It is a lot of fun!

Paula ;)